Agnostic.com

17 11

Are you a believer in Fred?
A disbeliever?
Agnostic?
I tell you, Fred exists.
I have a picture of him.

Why do you suppose H.sapiens anthropomorphizes forces of nature?

skado 9 Aug 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think it is the nature of humans to find patterns where none actually exist. Human faces in particular are something we see in natural random patterns. Humans also tend to take events personally even when they were random with no intent. Natural events effecting us are viewed as having intent behind them. Intent requires or implies someone or something conscience enough to intent it.

Because if we wish to easily identify things we give them memorable names, and because we use human names so often those are the easiest to remember.

We call a storm 'Fred' because people will remember 'Fred', and because it's quick and easy.

In the US storms are not 'Ekaterina' - but I think giving a Chinese sounding name and calling one 'Blo Yew' would be fun.

As Paul said. We remember names better than numerical signifiers. In Australia if you ask someone in Darwin if they went through Tracy no one is going to think you were weird but if you asked someone if they went through TC20121974AS no one would know what you were talking about. (not signifer they use but it was a tropical cyclone that developed on the 20th of December 1974 in the Arafura Sea)

Dr Skado your questions are too deep and thought provoking.

Beyond the naming of the object perhaps there's an inherent animism rather than a chauvinistic anthropomorphism.

Is it the innate result of developmental self-awareness?

The way we begin to "know"?

Possibly because identifiers like 6r5d25 are too hard to remember.

Fred will not do much in my area.

They don’t, it’s just a label to name it...

Look Fred is spooning Florida!

Sort of looks like it is mooning more than spooning.

It is difficult to not believe in hurricanes...and potential ones.

Yes they do often. But granting a name is not and example of it, names are just labels and tags.

While sometimes granting a name is not anthopomorphic enough. For example when we give specific dog's names to dogs, such as Rover, and Gripper, we are drawing a line between humans and other social animals, which allows us to treat them with far less respect than that we give to humans. Although they are highly intelligent, if not quite as intelligent as us, and may be both more social and more sensitive than us, therefore well deserving our respect and care. Though that is not to say that our fellow humans of the same species should not come first with us, they should, only that we should be careful not to put others too far behind..

Too bad Trump’s not still in office, he could move the storm with his Magic Sharpie! 😂😂

We generally do it to just about everything.
It's our innate arrogance.

Fred has been visiting us, but not strongly so.
He IS!

Fred is fickle. Here this week; gone next week. Grace be gone; google will stay.

Grace is probably the one to watch.

is it not an easy way to make a story? protagonist/antagonist and stuff.

The same reason we name pets, it allows us to identify them easier.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:616275
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.