Agnostic.com

17 16

I'm giving up online dating. Feels like I'm dealing with leftovers.

When my Fitness Singles membership expires in March 2022, I won't renew it. I'm done.

The last guy I met wants a female slave to do all of the meal planning, grocery shopping, cooking, dishwashing, house cleaning, laundry, yard work, weeding and great sex. "You're a dinosaur," I replied, appalled.

"It's a 1950s marriage," he explained. "My two ex-wives did that while I worked."

"You're retired!" I shot back. "You need to pay a housecleaner, cook and gardener."

Last evening I talked on the phone with Brad, a man I felt excited about. He listed seven reasons why women refuse to date him:

1. Three divorces.
  2. Lives on a sailboat.
  3. Financially struggling from impulsive, bad decisions, he said.
  4. No money to travel. "Retired, wealthy women want a travel companion."
  5. He badly over-talks.
  6. Hopes to work to age eighty to accrue some savings.
  7. His passion is competitive, long-distance kayaking. This takes him away.

What a sales pitch. Thanks for the warning.

Here's what I need: a button that says, "I shaved my ### for this?" I can pull it from my purse and pin it on my little black dress. Laugh and say goodbye.

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

To be very direct. You are a very, very beautiful lady to look at. I have read many of your posts and I'm convinced you are very intelligent and caring too. However, to use myself (age 59) as an example, I find many ladies around my age look far older than me, and tend to have very set world views (they voted for Brexit) based on opinion, religion and not science. Some like myself have outlived their spouses, others are classic grannies who happen to like Queen.
Thus, there are not many as well preserved and still fresh as yourself.

@Sofabeast

Thank you so much! What a nice thing to say. I appreciate you.

So...is Brad looking for a wealthy retired woman? Has he found her? Will he find her? When he does, will she be forever touched by his wandering soul.....Will she lust after him ?
Now for the big question:
Will she sail on his boat and paddle his kayak? (Pretty damn smooth ain't I?)

The story of Brad.....it's only beginning

twill Level 7 Aug 23, 2021

@twill

"Men want a nurse and a purse," my mother said.

At 51, she became a wealthy widow after my father died.

@LiterateHiker: Did your mother find a ne'er -do-well to spend the money on?
Did she find A Romeo? A cad?
Was she found by A dude with a pencil thin mustache? A never say die Romancer?
Did she kiss the Frog ?
How about the dude that just could never catch a break? Did he spend her mon ey?
An opportunist? A Latin Lover? A good ole' Midwestern farmer who lost the family farm to pay his gambling debts? A long haul trucker?
The man in the box!
JACK THE RIPPER !!!

Anyone ???

Well, we need to send dozens and dozens of resumes to get a job. Then go through first, second, and sometimes third interviews. Then we get job offers from 1 out of 5 of those interviews. And sometimes, we don't even want the job after we realize the boss is a complete dick or the funds aren't even there to make us full time.

My point being is to hang in there. When you know it's not the right person, move on.

I have a hot date tomorrow. Hoping I can turn morale around here.

A very valid point. Fingers crossed for you that they may be the right person and interviewing is over.

I have decided if I meet someone it will have to be in real life and though one of the activities I participate in. Since my usual activities are the Humanist group, that pretty much means they won't be conservative xians which is the majority of my area. I can't meet someone at work because we are WFH at least til 2022. I don't know if it is easier to live with hope and then be disappointed, or to give up on it and acknowledge no or limited hope. Either way, I deal better in reality and focus on doing what I want to do. At least I know when I want a my needs taken care of it will happen with no side effects.

I personally had a lot more success in dating before online dating. I don't think anyting beats actually meeting a person in person. Either at a party, through friends, from participating in activities of mutual interest and yes even at night clubs (bars).

I tried online dating thinking I could avoid smokers, but people lied even about that.

I've learned that online relationships are similar to virtual test-driving a car. Some might work, most will have a wheel fall off and one of the doors fall off.

The real problem is that all the best ones get snapped up, and their selfish wives won't set them free!! 😂🤣
More seriously, I sympathise deeply and I agree that dating sites for older, serious people are poor in "resources", mainly because the best ones are rapidly removed from the dating pool.
Maybe joining "non-athletic" groups, such a a cookery club, would throw up better prospects.

Lol perfect

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 22, 2021

Attagirl.

Deb57 Level 8 Aug 22, 2021

I agree the Pickens are very Slim out there. Welcome to the club. I imagine it's especially hard living in a conservative area.

Lets not be too hasty tasty.

May I suggest an IQ exam?

Have contestants for your love solve the following riddle:

"I shaved my # # # for this?"

What letter does the last # stand for?

'

I just cancelled my subscription to the dating app I was using as well. I've had it. I met a couple of nice people but not well matched and a few freak shows that I'm glad didn't get my address. Good luck to anyone who is successful but I think it's a bit like winning the lottery.

Sheesh. Men "our" age often do not seem to deserve a good woman, that's for sure.

Hmm. You sound peeved, and peeved with very good cause.

I was chatting recently with a very good female friend (married, not to me), and she said about having to train her second husband to stop treating everybody as if they were "typical males" and to start having some care and consideration for other people.

I never had much luck with online dating myself.

Oh no, Brad is the buff one you wrote of earlier? What a waste of time. It would have been considerate of him to share some of that before you shaved.

By the way, I 💙💙💙 your button idea! You need to set that up on Etsy or something.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:617480
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.