Agnostic.com

5 8

LINK It Took Divorce to Make My Marriage Equal | Glamour

I thought this was awakening.

I stood in my dining room surrounded by toys and the remnants of dinner from the night before sticking to the bottom of my feet. In the kitchen, a bag of trash was tipped over, its innards strewn across the floor. In the living room, a week’s worth of laundry had been waiting two weeks to be folded.

It was 9:45 a.m., and already I was exhausted. I’d come home at midnight the night before, only to have to wake up at 5 a.m. with my toddler son and then take him and his sister to school, before cleaning for the cleaning lady. I had four hours of childcare and two stories to write. My husband was at work; I was here with the mess.

I was 33, a mother of two, and bone-tired. I didn’t want the laundry and chores to be the rest of my life. I didn’t want to always be drowning in work and childcare and housecleaning and dinner, bearing the brunt of the labor. I’d spent the past two years begging for help with the kids and housework, only to be told that I could just quit my job if it was all too much. “It’s not too much,” I’d said over and over. “It’s just not all my job.”

Standing in the dining room, overwhelmed with the weight of my life, I broke.

The next day, in couples therapy, I asked for a divorce.

Ten months before, I’d signed my first book contract. I signed the contract on my 33rd birthday, and it was a dream come true. I had spent 11 years writing three failed novels. One failed memoir. I’d attended an MFA program and then wrote a book proposal that hadn’t sold.

So we had children and I spent five years as a stay-at-home mother, writing in the crevices of my life—the late nights and early mornings. I had tried to find a job, but in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, jobs for writers were hard to find and plus, I’d done them all—proofreader, editor of a tae kwon do magazine, proposal writer, freelance columnist, marketing copywriter, college composition instructor, continuing education instructor teaching Word and Excel to people laid off during the recession.

We’d moved to Cedar Rapids for my husband’s dream job in 2005, and the plan was always that, eventually, we’d move for me. But each year passed and we never did. Once we had kids, even though his job was flexible and his boss was accommodating, I realized it would never be my turn. So I began freelancing like a maniac: sending late-night pitches to editors, conducting interviews while my whining toddler chased me around the park, leaving a trail of fruit snacks in his wake. I’d transcribe interviews and hear the echoes of Curious George in the background of the recordings.

Later I got some bylines and then, after years of work, in 2016, everything changed. An article I wrote got the attention of a university press; they wanted a book. Months later an editor at a different publishing house had been impressed by my writing and suggested a book based on a series I had written for the website Jezebel about motherhood and mythology.

In seven months I had two book deals.

It would be a lot more work; I knew that. But we could make it work. He had achieved his dream. Now I would achieve mine. What I needed was just a little help. Getting it was harder than I’d expected.

Ours was not a new story. It’s the story of every heterosexual couple in America. Statistically, women do more childcare and more housework, and it’s only getting worse in a pandemic, when all the safety nets we used to fill in the gaps are gone. No more house cleaners or nannies. No more daycare or even normal school. No more aging parents helping us. Nothing but us and the yawning gap in equality between us.

In the end I started writing the first book in stolen moments. Cobbling together money for babysitters meant wringing out paltry freelance checks. Orchestrating research trips felt like creating a Rube Goldberg machine—prepare freezer meals in advance, line up extra sitters, friends, maybe a grandma could come from out of town? My good friend Mel handled the dance recital’s dress rehearsal, complete with hair and makeup, and sent me a video of the practice. Somehow there was still never clean laundry. So I did what working women have done forever: I outsourced more. I hired a house cleaner, although my husband protested.

I didn’t get to write the bulk of that book until I landed a residency that would give me the break I needed. While I was gone, my son had walking pneumonia and fell and cut his lip at the Children’s Museum. My family told me I was being selfish. I needed to be with my children. “They have a father!” I shouted, “What about him?” I wrote 70,000 words in 30 days, because I knew if I didn’t write it then, I’d never be able to do it. The very next month, I stood in that toy-strewn dining room, cracking under the pressure. Then I moved out.

After the divorce, I had a second book to write. The first I had written while managing a disproportionate share of my family’s domestic responsibilities. But the second I wrote on my own terms. I didn’t have to bargain for child-free hours because we had 50-50 custody. I also didn’t have to convince someone else to let me outsource household cleaning. In the end I didn’t need to hire anyone at all, because my house was cleaner. In renegotiating my life, I had negotiated a better deal for myself, and it was court-ordered. I no longer begged to shift even some of the burden of childcare or housekeeping onto my husband. Our custody agreement mandated that he and I bear an equal share.

It was, of course, still hard. I still wrote the book while juggling full-time work and bills and the imminent release of another book, but this time there were no freezer meals, no house cleaner, no dinner expectations, and less laundry.

I began to joke that it had taken a divorce to make my marriage equal. But like all good jokes, it’s only funny because it’s true.

In America, in heterosexual relationships, women do three times as much work as their male counterparts. It’s true that modern men are doing more than they once did, but their efforts do not come close to evening the scales. When they do chip in, they expect not just credit, but lavish praise. And though they have increased their share of household chores, they report doing more than they actually do.

In the pandemic, this split is shattering American mothers. Among heterosexual couples where both partners work, women are now doing 70% more childcare. With mothers and fathers at home—both of them ostensibly working, if they’re employed, watching children, and supervising online school—women are doing on average 15 hours more work than men.

What would it take to make a marriage finally equal? (Divorce isn’t an option for everyone! Like, for example, people who want to stay married.) I was never going to find equality through marriage therapy—which, naturally, I had to set up and send reminders for appointments for—or through constant negotiating over chores. It was never going to be achieved by nannies (which we couldn’t afford) or house cleaners (which we could, but barely).

But I found a way; I burnt it all down and started over again.

Lyz Lenz is the author of Belabored: A Vindication of the Rights of Pregnant Women and God Land. She’s a columnist for the Cedar Rapids Gazette and lives in Iowa with her two kids.

HippieChick58 9 Aug 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The counseler told me it was all my fault. He said my ex didn't do anything because I was too quick and competent. The divorce did not change the caring and responsibility situation. He paid half of the court ordered child support for only one year and visited the kids only three times a year. That was actually even a little less than he did during our marriage and it would have been hard for it to be less.

I actually benefited a great deal almost immediately because of the lack of stress. Knowing for sure there will be no help coming frees you from the anger. I also met the love of my life and had a wonderful 38 year marriage with a man who helped me with everything he possibly could. I think true equality in a marriage happens when both members do their best to do more than their fair share.

This kind of essay makes me so glad I never had kids, because working out a marriage of equals can be hard enough without bringing kids into the mix, but almost all the women in my state end up so brainwashed with the farmer's daughter mentality, that never having kids never occurs to them, or if it does, they cave into all the social pressure of the mainstream culture here and have kids before their bio clock runs out. And it's also important to remember that there are no garauntees that children will comfort and look after you in old age and sickness, but I have to wonder sometimes if that is the main reason that so many otherwise independent, smart women still have kids despite what it does to their lifestyle. The only couples in my family that had the guts to buck the mainstream culture here in Iowa, are my older sister and her hubby, who use dogs as a substitute for kids, and my godparents, which includes a cousin of mine. They didn't even have pets and are richer than God, California Reaganites, who have had a great life of freedom and tons of world travel, which they never could have had with kids. And, from what I have heard and can tell, they are doing ok with being old and sick, as their younger extended family are giving them emotional support and they are able to hire whatever services they need.

Out of my three kids, one is not going to have kids. I respect her choice, her dad doesn't. She is the totally favorite Auntie, she is also the one that is doing the most of the taking care of aging parents. She takes her dad to appointments as needed, and during the height of the pandemic was schlepping groceries to me and her dad. I enjoyed that because I saw her at least weekly that way, usually I see her every other week or so. But really, I prefer to get my own groceries, and other purchases. I grew up thinking I'd be a mom one day, and truthfully I enjoy my kids greatly. They are awesome people. And if you can't tell, I love being a grandmother as well. Not everyone thinks like me and I respect that.

@HippieChick58 I respect those that chose different, but I haven't enjoyed being so roundly rejected by women, both when I was a young man, and pretty much left out of being considered for LTRs by women then who only wanted men willing to become stepfathers or make babies with them. I wanted no part of either, but it was tough on me emotionally to be rejected so often for anything beyond casual dating. It's hard being part of such a small minority in my local culture. And now the same thing is happening to me long after the age of having or raising children, even by women who also, like me, ended up not having kids, probably because they are doubtful that their own extended family will be there for them in old age to comfort them and take care of them, so they are hedging their bets by only choosing men with kids, to date, even when they and I are in their 60s. I am fine with dating someone who does or does not have kids, all other things being equally compatible with them, but I am not making that a priority in who I choose to date. If only most of the women in my local dating pool on Match were were so open-minded, but few of them are. And I know this for a fact as when I view a woman's profile on Match, I can see what preferences she is looking for in a partner regarding their kids situation. And few of them include No kids in their list of preferences regarding that trait. As if there is really any sure thing that the in-laws from whatever man they choose are going to be there for her when she gets old and sick.....

From my point of view, why not take a chance on dating me, a childless man? If she's with me long enough, she will inherit whatever money I have left, plus, if she's still in decent shape, she might well be able to find another man with kids and extended family who will look after her after I am dead. So why be so tunnel-visioned and focused on the near future so much about inheriting a family of in-laws as soon as possible thru a dating relationship now? To me it all seems way too pessimistic and sort of desperate on their part... Can I get an amen, Paula?

@TomMcGiverin I can't speak for other women, I often wonder if I am a breed apart. But for me a man without kids is desirable. I dated one man several years ago who had way too much drama in his life caused by his kids, and his kid's mama. I don't welcome that into my life. I was recently messaged by someone on here with a younger kids. That's a no go for me. My kids are independent adults, I like it that way. As for rejection, that is part and parcel of dating. You have to have really tough skin to deal with online dating.

@HippieChick58 Another woman here on Agnostic explained it really well, I think, about what I am dealing with in my local dating pool. She said that most women who get divorced and live in the Midwest have all their identity wrapped up in their role as a mother, and so they retreat and hide behind their adult kids and grandkids, clinging to them for comfort and purpose after the divorce, and that's why they appear "family-oriented" and even use that term in their profile essays on dating sites. To me, that is a red flag, that the woman does not have any balance in her life, is not independent enough in a healthy way from her family, and I want nothing to do with her. The woman on Agnostic who was explaining this said she had seen this many times with divorced female friends of hers and said the problem is not me, but the culture and its influence on women in my dating pool. She also said in most cases these family-oriented women are clinging to their families after their divorce and having way more contact with their kids and grandkids than the family actually desires from them, lol. It is sad and pathetic that their divorces leave them so hurt, scared of men in general, and afraid of another close relationship with a man, that they retreat into excessive contact with their family to avoid potential hurt and disappointment again. Too bad that they never get the kind of therapy post-divorce that they need and would help them get on with their life.

@TomMcGiverin I can't say I've noticed that, but I can't say it is wrong. I am thankful to be close to my kids. A childless friend of mine who is older than I am and has some health issues has great concerns for end of life issues. I have one kid that is already "momming" me, though she backs off fast enough when I give her "the look." I enjoy my kids, I created them. They do have their own lives. My kids grew up as military brats, we moved frequently and rarely lived near family. My kids have stayed in the area to give their kids the opportunity to get to know the rest of the family. I love it. I am close enough to help out when needed. And such as it is, I have my own life and my own activities. I think we have a good equilibrium.

@HippieChick58 I think your sense of balance and independence with your family is very healthy, but rare in the Midwest, and I'll leave it at that.

I practically begged my wife to go out, build a life, find a career ( she went to college...not me !).
YES she did the chores, cleaning and cooking and kids....told me to bugger out, stay in my place . Then of course praise her profusely for "putting up" with these self inflicted "hardships".

The kids were truly sick of Wal Mart and hanging out @ Bob Evans for hours on end.
She got the day off if she didn't feel like getting out of bed .....I still had bills to pay unfortunately and had to drag my Sad Ass off to work during my roofing season no matter what or how I felt.

She told me I ruined her life.......

I got the same feeling. Divorce did equalize things.

twill Level 7 Aug 24, 2021

I first heard of this woman when I saw her giving a book reading on C-Span and was awed by her wit and wisdom, which led me to read her book God Land, which was so right on about Christianity and Midwestern culture and values here in Iowa, my state. This essay is just as insightful and on the money as all of her points in God Land. I strongly encourage anyone, believer or not, to read her books for an authentic and honest view of working class life and ordinary marriage in America, esp. in the Midwest, a part of the country-flyover land-that is always ignored in mass media, literature, or movies/TV, except for stories about meth and true crime, at least in my observation.

In God Land, she writes about the decay and end of her marriage, as her hubby became a Trumper, and how her local church fell apart over conflicts over power and differences in beliefs, leading her to a search for a Christian church where she felt comfortable, wanted, and heard.

I will check into her book, thanks for the tip!

It isn't always the asymmetry described. In my case, I did 90% + of the laundry and housecleaning and 99% of the cooking - - In addition to my full time job. What did she do? Read. Read some more. She was proud of it. I knew she was mentally ill when I married her, but she had hid the severity of it. Her wealthy parents were kind enough to let me pick up her therapy costs, and never helped us financially. She quit her job and coerced me to pay for everything while she went back for an MSW. A new anti-depressant eliminated intimacy. The third session of counseling brought her request for divorce. I was only too happy to oblige.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:617854
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.