Agnostic.com

12 35

Just stolen from fbuk.

What has religion done for you compared to science's achievement?

FrayedBear 9 Aug 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You may find the following helpful in informing you on homeopathic medicine & prayer. Just remember that on the enquiry list there are more noisy opinionated self confirming xtian prosylitising organisations than there are genuine scientific researchers!

[sciencebasedmedicine.org]

[duckduckgo.com]

Come on people, Ya just don’t understand, it’s not god’s failure, your just not praying correctly!

Are you being flippant, facetious or simply stupid?

@FrayedBear guilty!

Very good.

Thank you for sharing this info, I know that this is probably one of the best examples but I bet most theists would probably disagree and are blind to this because of years of indoctrination and just maybe a few would admit. It's really simply, why aren't those Miracle worker Church Pastors not at the hospitals daily preforming those miracle cures on the sick helping the doctors? 🤔 I'm sure those doctors would welcome the help.... Really sad....

The problem is that you cannot get people to see this. I lived through those times.

So of course, one can see that prayer works.

I agree with sentiment but my inner pedant is screaming that "decimated" originally means to reduce by 10%

[merriam-webster.com]

Annihilate would be better.

That makes perfect sense when you think about it but I have always thought of it as only 10% left and 90% decimated. Glad you were able to help clear that up. 👍

But what about washing yourself clean with the blood of the little baby Jebus? Think about that for a second and then realize how twisted that sounds.

..Brainwash.

Don't think you have made a point to the christian brain this says , "and who do you think gave the scientist their knowledge?"

You may find the following helpful in informing you on homeopathic medicine & prayer. Just remember that on the enquiry list there are more noisy opinionated self confirming xtian prosylitising organisations than there are genuine scientific researchers!

[duckduckgo.com]

@FrayedBear : thanks for the information...I appreciate the effort, and support in thinking I might be educatable.

@HankSherman Thanks. It's up to you now to prove it.

@FrayedBear LOL:, others might be interested....I'm just here for the fun....

@HankSherman isn't learning fun? My dead brother used to say "the day that you stop learning is the day that you die".

@FrayedBear your "dead brother" huh....I guess its not so much the learning I mind, as it is the educating.

@HankSherman He was killed 25+ years ago returning from a course at university by another motorcyclist hitting him head on on a blind corner. Interestingly he taught the police to ride motorbikes.

Healthy immune system dose best.

Prayer a 50% 50% chance.
Wouldn't bet my life on that.

And without prayer? A 50% 50% chance, as well.

@BirdMan1

The photo looks like prayer to a personal God.

Where meditation works well for me, within nature and the universe things come to me beyond. It makes me find more solutions and happier for it. Whereas meditation is taking the time to listen to what your deeper thoughts.

@BirdMan1, @Castlepaloma wasn't there research that proved that when you knew that you were being prayed for it made you worse?

The virus does not give a crap about your healthy immune system.

@DenoPenno

The immune system has always throughout historically how human adapt and adjust to change as biological organisms first and foremost. Imagination is part of the meditation.

Knowledge has limits, imagination encircles the globe. :
Albert Einstein:

@creative51

No doubt many great advances in the 200 years. Vaccines and anti biotic in an emergency usually works well. Long term it has a horrible history and that is the plan of big pharmacy to keep us hooked for life. US in recent years life span has lowered by 2 years. First time in history. My holistic doctor in Belize is 107 years old. Mainstream doctors are well below life span an adverage person, bad examples for me.

Biggest problem is... who is heading this nazis march to vaccine worldwide who are billionaires, banks, government and pharmaceutical giants. Greatest scammers in the world. They want great profit returns and destroy their small competitors.

@creative51

Being a professional artist for 45 years. You don`t seem open minded enough, to name yourself creative.

@FrayedBear I never heard of that, for whatever that's worth. But it could make me angry. there used to be a sign outside a Mobile, Al. church, that read "If you are reading this, we are praying for you." I first saw that some years ago while visiting my step-son, and those were the days when my life ran at a speed of maybe one WTF! a month.

@creative51

My veteran creative circles, don't have your attitude.

@BirdMan1, @Castlepaloma, @creative51

[duckduckgo.com]

@creative51

I return your gift of shit to it's rightful owner you. Add a pair of eyes to the shit pile, that would be you.

@FrayedBear "... if you motivate a spiritual force or energy...." Prayer may help people feel better by feeling connected to an imaginary "spiritual force or energy," much like placebo effect, but, imho, that's about it.

@Castlepaloma there is the wonderful tale of the poor freezing sparrow that froze midflight & fell into a big pile of freshly dropped steaming cow poo. It sufficiently unfroze the sparrow so that it was able to fly away to the shelter of the barn.
Moral to the story : not all shit is harmful nor unwanted.

@BirdMan1 "making people feel better" is merely a diversion from the asked question of "does religion eradicate or cure disease?" The answer is a big bold type in capitals "NO". So which part of no do you not understand?
I can go one better than that effect that you describe as placebo like. I can cause you or anyone who has experienced an orgasm to have another without touching you. I once read a psychologist claiming orgasm to be the highest achievement possible for a living person.

@creative51

I punk on top of your bald headed punker, then mixed it all up with maggots with legs. Then give it back to you. The way you like it.

@creative51

You first from the vaccines.

@FrayedBear WTF?
Having been a career Mental Health professional, I have to tell you that that psychologist was speaking out of his/her ass! Orgasm might be a high achievement for a dead person, though.
We began this discussion with your claim that there is evidence that when people are praying for someone that someone feels worse. Sorry, but that is BS. If a friend of mine were praying that I, living in the Covid cesspool Florida, would not get Covid, by what vector would that impact me?
And YES, I certainly DO GET IT, religion does not eradicate or cure disease. I have no idea how you came to the conclusion that I ever might have thought otherwise.

@BirdMan1 what do you consider to be "highest achievement"? Many, because of health issues like anxiety & depression are not able to achieve orgasm.

@FrayedBear

Have to give sex as the greatest pleasure in the world. Every other pleasures is compared to it.

Covid even wants to take that away. I live for blowjob. What other purpose to live for, besides triple masks and butt fart plugged.

@FrayedBear Orgasm is wonderful, I will not argue against that, but as for an "Achievement" it does not score. Sex is a biologically driven, obviously, activity, orgasm makes it much more likely to occur than a boring "push, thrust" activity ' like potato peeling, i.e.. As for humanity's biggest achievement you might want to consult some big time philosophers. Some possibilities might be art, literature, loving connection (which outlasts sexual capacity as we age).

@BirdMan1
My ultimate love one is a woman partner. Sex and romance is an act of bonding and with many little acts of kindness. Sex can't wait, love can. Yes, love is infinitely universal connection.

@BirdMan1, @Castlepaloma It occurred to me yesterday that in terms of efficacy of healing a good orgasm has probably outperformed the power of prayer a trillion to the power of tenfold!

Indeed lust only lasts for a maximum of 18 months. Longer relationships result from different stimuli. All stages however result in different chemicals in the brain. They all effect how the body reacts to illness. Start with the following article & the expand out looking at each distinct chemical:
[mymed.com]

What! You mean thoughts and prayers don't work. Well damn, what good are they then, lol. ( I'm being sarcastic, hope it comes across that way.

[duckduckgo.com]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:617952
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.