Agnostic.com

5 12

LINK Opinion | Professors indoctrinating students? In reality, it’s the other way around. - The Washington Post

Brian Broome is the author of “Punch Me Up to the Gods: A Memoir” and will be writer-in-residence at St. Mary’s College (California) in 2022.

During the first few days of class, my students are silent and nervous. They are college first-years, and the class is English Composition. My job is to teach them to communicate effectively through writing. They file in anxiously and choose their seats.

The majority are White and have come from suburbs around Pittsburgh, north New Jersey and Philadelphia. Most are away from home for the very first time.

I try to look the part of an English professor in shirt, tie and jacket with jeans. Professional but not too fussy. This is an insecurity on my part. Many of my White colleagues don’t bother with this sartorial performance and teach in T-shirts and shorts. I feel I have to step it up because of the looks of confusion I have received from my White students when they walk into the room and see a Black man standing there in a T-shirt. They look past me toward the door, waiting for the teacher to arrive. Even when I’m in shirt and tie, some still do.

One day, I ask my class whether I am the first Black teacher they’ve ever had. All but one say yes. My mere presence for many is a lesson.

I wouldn’t say that my White students are racist. They’ve simply never had any meaningful interaction with anyone except for other White people. People who live and think in the same ways that their parents do. This leaves them with preconceived notions that are based in ignorance in this ever-changing culture.

I give my students grown-up essays to read. One can’t learn to write well unless one reads. I make sure that I provide readings from authors of varied backgrounds. We dive into and dissect these texts, and these discussions lead to generative and sometimes difficult conversations. Most of my students have been taught that they should treat everyone the same. They have been taught that the “content of their character” portion of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.’s “I Have a Dream” speech is all they need to know, and that America is a strict meritocracy.

But they live in a world in which they can plainly see that dream is not becoming a reality. We often dismiss the young as being blissfully unaware. They are not. They understand what is happening around them.

My Black, Hispanic and Asian students write about their experiences with racism in America. My Jewish students write about their experiences with antisemitism. My Muslim students write about the harassment they’ve faced. Everyone shares their work and listens, and it is my hope that everyone learns.

One day, as we discussed an essay by the gay humorist and author David Sedaris, a student in the back of the class raised his hand. He said that he related to the essay because he and his boyfriend had been through a similar experience. He paused for a long moment before he said “boyfriend.”

This was an announcement. Every student in the class turned to look at him. They turned to him to see whether his announcement had turned him into something new. Something to be feared. They turned to me to see how I would react. When I did not, they let it go. A few days later, another student introduced her girlfriend into the discussion. Announcements such as these don’t happen in high school.

I have heard the complaints of conservatives who believe that American colleges are indoctrinating their children. I don’t understand this. From where I sit, this complaint is only rooted in the fear that their children might acquire some empathy and understanding.

I am amused why many conservatives believe those of us who teach in college hold such sway over their children. They could not be more misinformed. My students regard me just as they regard all old people: as someone they have to deal with until they return to the company of other young people.

For my part, I can barely get them to read the syllabus.

In short, their children aren’t listening to me; they are listening to and seeing the humanity in each other as they take in the world outside the bubble in which they once lived. They are the ones who taught me about they/them pronouns, not the other way around.

Far from being indoctrinated, most are just opening their eyes. Note to parents: When you send your kids away from home, many of their suspicions about your beliefs are confirmed. They become even more curious about the lives of people who are not like themselves despite your efforts to mold them into younger versions of yourselves. They are merely doing what young people have always done.

Next year, I may relax my dress code just a bit. I may occasionally show up to teach in a T-shirt and jeans and forgo the professor costume. Because my students have also taught me this: I don’t have to play dress-up to teach.

HippieChick58 9 Aug 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Mmmm, the Professor thinks that people were mainly exposed to the neighborhoods they were raised in.

What a deep observation.

When your beliefs are based on a house of cards and you continuously need reassurance every Sunday thar you are right and others are wrong then any little thing to the contrary becomes a threat. Christians are supposed to obey without question. Teaching them how to critically think is a threat

This professor is another person whining about how he is the victim and how horrible it is to teach a classroom full of white students. Considering that he has a job as a professor, must not be that racist. Also, being that you are a professor, there is a modicum of decorum and professionalism you must maintain in order to gain respect of your students. Funny that he does not mention that Blacks, Hispanics, Jews, and Asians need to get out of their bubble.

If anyone is the racist, it is this professor. He is right; America is not a 100% meritocracy especially when Blacks like him benefit from affirmative action programs. Maybe he did earn it but the idea that white benefit from privilege or system that is designed to elevate them is idiotic. People like him who are race-hustlers would be ideologically opposed to MLK. He said so himself. Yeah, neighborhoods that have all whites, blacks, Hispanics, Asians, and Jews would congregate primarily with each other. What a shocker! This professor is a total ass clown

And, many rural southerners think that i you are educated, you have been indoctrinated.

Okay. I live in the South. Who says that?

@Heavykevy1985 I find what wordywait says to be true.

@Heavykevy1985 My own nephew and his children think that, amobng mant others.

@wordywalt and that means what? Anecdotal evidence proves your thesis?

@Wallace based on what evidence?

@Heavykevy1985 As I said, you still suffer from the curse of southern culture. If you would only open your mind and look seriously, there are hundreds of thousands, of not millionsk, of clear bits of evidence. Your problem is that you do not want to see that evidence becsause you arre still under thaty curse.

@wordywalt you sound like one of those Bible thumpers who proselytize that you need Jesus in your life. The South has grown and industry has moved down here. You still are not convincing me of anything

@Heavykevy1985 I am not trying to cinvince you. I am simply telling the truth.

@wordywalt I live in the South and it is not a racist hellscape. Again, who are you trying to convince?

@Heavykevy1985 You slow tio get the messaghe. Again, I am simpoly telling a truth I wanty people to be aware. What they do witth the information is up to them.

Good essay: Sent my brain off a-thinking. I like that.

I am very active in state-level advocacy and public policy making on disabilities-related issues, and sit on several boards and commissions. Most of these have worked, over the last few years, to bring on youth voices and participation, and the dynamic the author writes about is familiar to me, but his perspective is enlightening. Thanks for sharing: Not only something to think about, but something I can work with.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:619097
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.