Agnostic.com

7 5

Even Joe must love old communist attitudes to religion?

"In the aftermath of the 1917 revolution, and during the “Great Terror” of 1937/38, Soviet communists declared war on religious belief, razed churches to the ground and murdered priests by the thousand. Communism’s hostility to religion, and particularly to the Russian Orthodox Church, isn’t just a matter of historical record – it is etched into the collective memory of the country"

Opium of the masses: Russia’s Communists are flirting with faith in God but, in upcoming elections, can they hope for a miracle? [rt.com]

Ping @Barjoe

FrayedBear 9 Sep 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"Opium of the masses: Russia’s Communists are flirting with faith in God but, in upcoming elections, can they hope for a miracle?"

There haven't been communists in Russia since 1990, and starting then the country experienced a very open, very public embracing of religion.

That's because even under Communism, people still practiced it, even though it went against Soviet political orthodoxy.

Joe Biden isn't a communist. No Democrat is. They're capitalists. As their policies will show if you have the slightest understanding of reality. Even social democracies in Europe have capitalist economies.

There is only one ruly communist country left in the world--Cuba.

Even China has become communist in name only, having abandoned Communism for state capitalism, even though the Communist party is still legally the only party allowed to exist there.

You serve as evidence that even atheists can be stupid, ignorant and uneducated.

Next time you post, please have the decency and common sense to know what you're talking about.

Even more stupid are people who have not understood that I did not write the article nor have I commented on the article. I merely include a small quote. As for there being no communists in Russia do you actually live there & know every Russian personally or is it simply the vain hope that they all want to be like you or American?
Are you being fed different scrip to what I am reading in RT and in my post?

@FrayedBear

Okay...

I don't have to live there or know somebody who does to know that the Soviet Union collapsed in 1990.

This is a fact.

Russia was for a very short time after that, a representative democracy.

After the ascent of Putin it became a kleptocracy run by capitalists.

You didn't write the article, no, but you also don't appear to have understood it, either.

Traditionally, Communism REJECTED religion, and the official party line embraced atheism.

The "old" Communist response to religion was atheism.

According the article, this current Communist candidate is EMBRACING religion, contrary to the historical Communist shunning of it.

This is not the "old Communist attitude" toward religion, but a new strategy.

In any event, you read it through the perspective of somebody who missed the fall of the Iron Curtain.

The Soviet Union no longer exists and hasn't done for 31 years.

It has been replaced by a dictatorship run by a capitalist and his cronies.

They obviously don't want to be like me or any other American.

If there are communists in Russia, they aren't running things anymore and haven't for a very long time.

And there probably won't be, as long as Putin is in power and as long as his opponents keep disappearing or getting murdered.

And even if there were, it doesn't make Joe Biden a Communist or an Atheist.

He's a capitalist, and a Roman catholic.

It's evident you don't know what Communism is, nor Capitalism.

It's obvious to anybody reading your stupidity that you think anybody to the left of Donald Trump is a communist.

Because you don't know what Communism is.

Probably because you spent 9th grade Government class eating Elmer's glue.

You don't know what you're talking about, and seem oblivious to anything that happened after 1989.

The stupid in this is amazing..... Russians haven't been communists for over 30 years now....

Oh yes?
"The eminent political economist Robert Skidelsky has compared the economic performance of what he terms the Bretton Woods age (1951-1973) and the period of the Washington Consensus (1980-2009) and has found that the former period not only had higher rates of growth (4.8 percent as opposed to 3.2 percent), it recorded no global recessions, nor a single year with less than 3 percent growth. Skidelsky notes, ‘…had the world economy grown at 4.8 percent rather than at 3.2 percent from 1980 until today, it would have been more than 50 percent larger.’ Rates of unemployment, exchange rate volatility and inequality (as measured by both the Gini coefficient and the Theil index) were all found to be higher during the Washington Consensus period."
"The track record of the Washington Consensus leaves much to be desired and - if 60 percent of Russians are anything to go by - hasn’t been forgotten." James W. Carden who served as an advisor to the US-Russia Bilateral Presidential Commission at the State Department from 2011-2012.
[nationalinterest.org]
[historyonthenet.com]

@FrayedBear

None of this supports your assertion. Do you read what you post?

@Toonman Because he gets his fraudulent information for conservative stink tanks and other misinformational scam sites....

[en.wikipedia.org]

[en.wikipedia.org]

Since Christianity is a copy cat religion that attaches itself to others' ideas, personalities, power, and Jesus, who may never have existed, and was totally unoriginal if he did, I'd be hard pressed to call him the 1st "anything".

twill Level 7 Sep 19, 2021

What a stupid question. Anyone who really knows what communism and its ideology are and knows what Biden's political history is knows that.

[truthout.org]

@FrayedBear Most recognized presidential scholars would disagree strongly with most of those rationgs. I think they know what they are doing.

@wordywalt of course you do as a member of the piratical nation who has been benefitting at the expense of the rest of the world.

What miracle are they hoping for? All I see is adopting and changing an image of Jesus. If there was a true Jesus I contend that nobody today would know what he was like.

Particularly if a she or transvestite?

Religion was competition; another type of opium. They are all protection rackets differing only slightly in function and greatly in labeling. Communism is a religion without the burden of a god with pie in the sky. It is brashly human promising paradise and pie right here.

NONE of them EVER deliver.

Particularly the cult of Americanism?

@FrayedBear Cults are about containment and control. The advancement of protections of rights and liberties to exercise them resulting from separation of powers was unprecedented. Consolidation and centralization of powers has resulted in decay of both protection and liberties. We still have the codified 'rights' but a justice system owned by the same interests that also own our erstwhile free press and legislative representation. Its over and the old world of elitist rule has returned.

@Silver1wun no better than communism or catholicism then?

[truthout.org]

@FrayedBear This isn't about the 'idea' of America. It shows the level of decay of the idea and it is much worse today. Body counts? "Wars?" We have not been involved in a constitutional war since 1945. Can't blame the constitution or ideas that brought it into being for acts of those who've ignored it while falsely touting it. Harry Truman was the first president to dedicate American troops to the business of adventurism and war crimes on behalf of the military/industrial complex. Eisenhower opposed the trend and warned about it. We've been in political quicksand since 70 years ago.

@Silver1wun I wish that there are more of your ilk. It could be a better world.

I do agree with the Soviet attitude about religion. I don't advocate religious persecution of Josef Stalin which was continued through the history of USSR. I don't support totalitarian regimes like the former Soviet Union and the Russian Federation today. Dude, it's one thing to tag people in a comment. Don't goat me by tagging me in a post. WTF? You like Russia so fucking much? Emigrate there.

Soviet attitude? Seems to me that since USA caused the collapse of USSR the Soviets have sadly all too quickly reverted to xtianity.

When have I ever said that Joe? You know that by my standard Joe Stalin is now, like JFK, a good politician - they have both been dead for more than 50 years.

@FrayedBear I disagree with that. Josef Stalin was a despot and a murderer.

@barjoe Like the Nixon, Regan,the Bushes, Obama and Clinton you mean?

@FrayedBear No! Much worse! Maybe if Trump had been reelected he might have come remotely close. Maybe Vladimir Putin is close.

@barjoe
[truthout.org]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:620540
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.