Agnostic.com

4 43

After grading for most of the day and going to get ice cream, I am finished around 5:00 and go out into my garage. I fill my buckets full of mortar and water and head out to put some touches on my latest wall and to touch up some others. The temperature is just right and the air is still and calm.

I move a small fake fountain from a rock on the spot where I want to work and beneath it is a tiny brown snake. He picks no fight (they never do) but when I try catch him to move him out of my way, he slithers off the rock and under another. We are fine with each other.

I mix the mortar and begin to work. Assembling the rocks is akin to putting a jigsaw puzzle together as the rocks must fit somewhat together. I try out the rock for size, apply the mortar, press the rock into place, and so on and so on. A few cars pass on the road, but otherwise, all is quiet. As I am facing the road, a couple of men wave and I wave back. Jersey the cat joins me for awhile, but as I am absorbed in my work, she leaves because I am not giving her attention.

I put my rock puzzle together and as I do, I tell stories to myself. Some are about me and some are about other people, magical and muggles. Some are about magical creatures. Some are set on distant worlds, some in the past, some in the future, but none in the present.

I finish one task and move to another, enlarging and patching a type of platform on which I might put potted plants or yard ornaments. However, my pagan friends would recognize them immediately as altars. I am atheist, but my paganism still lingers.

It grows dark. I use the last bit of mortar and return my tools to the garage. It is nearly 8:00 PM. For over two hours there are no hungry children in the world, no Covid 19, no racists, no sexism, no school shootings: here are solid rocks, puzzles, and faerie tales.

I hold to the positives and for the moment, all is well.

Gwendolyn2018 9 Sep 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Concentrating, focusing on "one thing" ie your wall building, is a form of meditation, mindfulness. Good for you & all of us.

I understand this except that if it was me I would try to corner that snake and force him to talk.

One wants to be careful when talking to snakes. Some of them are great conversationalists and some not, I dislike the ones who tell me what I have to do and how I have to act.

I go into work and face hundreds of people every day. My puzzle is to decide which ones need a hug, who needs a smile, and how to make the rest of them laugh. I guess my mortar is me being antisocial but still caring about people. We all have some way of getting in the groove that lets us shut down for a while. 🙂

@Gwendolyn2018
You know exactly what I mean.

Awesome honey

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:620663
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.