Agnostic.com

6 3

POLL Alaskan Law Requires DNA From Accused Criminals, but Officials Failed to Collect Samples From 21,000 People — ProPublica

Alaska Gov. Mike Dunleavy said Tuesday that state law enforcement agencies had failed to collect the DNA of more than 21,000 people arrested for a variety of crimes, a task officials were required to perform under Alaska law.

The Anchorage Daily News and ProPublica reported in December that some law enforcement agencies were not aware of the law or were not following it. As a result, authorities neglected to collect DNA swabs that might have solved cold cases and put serial offenders behind bars.

Should DNA be collected when a person is accused of crime?

• 10 votes
  • 5 votes
  • 5 votes
snytiger6 9 Sep 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

YES, I am in favor of the DNA database .If someone was accused of rapping your daughter let’s see how you would vote

fedup Level 6 Sep 6, 2021

I would still vote "no". I only want persons guilty beyond a reasonable doubt as decided by juries of their peers to suffer consequences of having committed that or any other crime.

If you were accused of a serious crime of which you were not guilty, let's see how you would vote.

Accused no, convicted yes.

Yes, that is where the controversy would lay. I don't think there would be much objection to convicted criminals going into a DNA database.

Felonies, yes. Misdemeanors, no.

Not without probable cause and a warrant.

Basic 4th amendment right "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things"

Pending on the crime. For sex crimes and/or violent crimes then probably.

Tejas Level 8 Sep 6, 2021

No. Not if the collection of DNA is irrelevant to the crime. Otherwise, collect everyone's DNA and see how that is received.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:620764
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.