Agnostic.com

4 7

I hope this is readable. It's an excellent argument.

RussRAB 8 Sep 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It is very simple. Women can get pregnant. Men can't. Until that changes, men have, and never should have had, no say or business whatsoever in deciding or telling women what to do with their pregnancies. The only men who should be involved with those decisions should be the women's doctors, and only as an advisor regarding the health of the woman and the fetus.

I would suggest we stop fighting for women's rights as a health issue. States of Americans have said loud and clear that they do not give one little shit about anyone's health outside their own. Further, health is not a right cited in our constitution (for either gender). I would advise labeling this attack on women as a human rights issue. There are people who, because they're of an unpopular minority, might care about human rights while rejecting health as a concern so my advice is purely strategic.
Good luck with whatever you do, American Girls.

An excellent argument indeed!

These conservatives are inconsistent in the application of state powers and I find their inconsistency mind boggling. According to their logic, they would have the state figuratively reach into a woman’s uterus at the moment of conception. (I suppose the fallopian tubes as well since that’s where conception actually occurs.) That blastocyst is the state’s property, not the woman’s. Apparently she has no choice in the matter, according to their logic, and not even RU-486 is acceptable to their morality.

And yet in every other area of life these conservatives have determined that the state has no say in what people do with their bodies. Don’t make me or my school-aged children wear a mask, and whatever you do don’t coerce me to get a vaccination!

But no-o-o-o, I just found out that my neighbor has missed her period and her home pregnancy test was positive, and she is contemplating getting an abortion, so now I’m going to sue her and anyone who helps her… What the fuck!

Yup, that's the argument. It's the crux of the difference between abortion and the death penalty too when arguing against someone that says you're being inconsistent if you're pro-choice and anti-capital punishment. No one person has to care for that prisoner, but only one person can care for the fetus, so the force v consent issue isn't analogous.

The human embryo becomes a fetus at about eight weeks, so really it’s just embryonic tissues at the six week stage. But this doesn’t matter to these self-righteous conservatives who want to “own” a woman’s reproductive organs at the moment of conception!

@p-nullifidian True, but the terminology is irrelevant to the argument. No matter what stage it's still wholly dependant on the female host.

@p-nullifidian Consciousness begins at 8 weeks with the ability to feel. Still, I would go for the authority on when life begins. God. [bible.knowing-jesus.com]

@rainmanjr I think you're joking, but that is also irrelevant. It could be a full grown sentient human and it's still up to the woman. Imagine for a moment there is a sick individual who happens to be a national treasure and due to a rare blood type and antibody combination, you are the only person in the world that can save them. By being surgically joined together including your blood supply, you can effectively be a 24/7 dialysis machine for them that they will need for the next 6 months or so until they will be well enough to live on their own again. Should the state be allowed to force you to undergo this surgical procedure to save this beloved individual?

@JeffMurray Anyone dependent on me to save them would have a problem, Jeff. I don't like people and would no longer lift a finger to save anyone (including myself). We are a weed that needs pulling. My link goes to an article about Bible verses referring to breath as the beginning of life but I'm not a woman. I don't ultimately care. They should stop giving birth at all. There's a pill for that.

@rainmanjr Oh, I'm with you there. Humans should stop reproducing until we die out.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:620869
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.