Agnostic.com

9 27

Climbed Horse Lake Mountain today and tried out a new hiking partner.

What a steep hike! Great views. We hiked twelve miles with over 2,500 feet of elevation gain.

I hiked with Karen and Charlie, a retired third-grade teacher I met on Fitness Singles dating website. This was a tryout for Charlie as a hiking partner. He was fun and kept up. Karen is moving to Yakima in October. I will miss her.

"You and Karen are both strong hikers," Charlie said. "I need a nap," he repeated after the hike. He usually hikes only four or five miles.

We did a big loop. Karen and I like returning a different way. Runners understand this.

At the summit, we found two bronze 1941 U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey markers. The bronze markers were a foot off the ground after high winds scoured away dirt and rocks. Karen put rocks around the markers so people don't trip on them.

We steeply descended in a cool, shady gully. In places it was so steep, I thought, "This is slicker than coon shit." Ha. That's what I get from reading books by Southern writers.

Almost back to the cars, we found a lone apple tree leftover from the original homestead.

Hiking in eastern Cascade Mountains, we find traces of original homesteads: fruit trees, rock chimneys, the original house footprint, Honeysuckle bushes they planted, etc. It's so arid, it's amazing the apple tree survived without irrigation.

Photos. The haziness is from wildfire smoke.

Nearby Enchantment Mountains had no snow after an extreme heat wave and drought.

We were shocked by far less snow on Glacier Peak. Usually it looks like a snowball.

Original homestead apples were not ripe yet.

U.S. Coast and Geodetic markers at the summit. Photos taken last year. Different weather.

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Beautiful, but you and I have different definitions of "arid". đŸ¤Ŗ

@Cyklone

Arid (dictionary.com)

being without moisture; extremely dry; parched: arid land; an arid climate.

Annual rainfall is far less than in Western Washington. In the center part of the state (Wenatchee), rainfall is approximately 7 to 9 inches.

@LiterateHiker I know the definition but I live in the driest state in the driest country in the world. Our idea of arid is a little different. I had to upload photo to first comment

@Cyklone

Where do you live? Which state?

@LiterateHiker South Australia 🙂 Your countryside looks beautiful.

How long did that take?

@Jolanta

I figure it took us five hours to hike 12 miles. We didn't stop to rest.

We normally hike two miles/hour. This was a steep hike.

Karen picked us up at 9 a.m. The gravel road was terrible. She had to drive slowly. We stopped for lunch at the summit. I got home at 3:30.

@LiterateHiker Did you have to go to bed at once after all that work?

@Jolanta

Although I felt like I'd been beaten with a 2x4, I carried on.

Was much better after nine hours of sleep.

You are going to miss Karen.

@Paracosm, @Julie808, @Larimar, @Ohub, @KKGator, @Sierra4, @NoMagicCookie, @Lauren, @Redheadedgammy, @SeaGreenEyez, @Gwendolyn2018, @bobwjr, @MyTVC15, @anglophone, @freedom41, @HippieChick58, @Mitch07102, @xenoview, @HankSherman, @Bigwavedave

Here's another photo from today's hike.

I love the Bonsai look of this tree. It lost its top, probably from lightning.

Alone at the summit braving high winds and little rain.

Awesome

Great photo and beautiful country.

Nice

Naturally occurring Bonsai is the best kind!

It is a great picture. I hope you find another hiking partner. I know how much you love it. Hiking alone in normal terrain is easy enough. Hiking elevation alone at elevations and with significant elevations bears significant risks. Will you hike solo?

@Bigwavedave

I never hike alone. It's unsafe. What if I get lost or hurt?

"Hey, pretty lady! Where are you spending the night? We'll join you!"

It was terrifying.

Guys on horses with guns and booze were riding uphill for the high hunt. One-by-one, my women hiking partners had dropped out. So I backpacked alone to beautiful Spider Meadows.

That night alone in the tent, I jerked with every snap and crackle in the woods. Expected to be raped and/or killed.

At first light, I packed up and ran eight miles to the car with a 40-pound backpack bouncing on my back.

@LiterateHiker yes, I recall you telling that story. One of my good friends hikes alone often. He has fallen twice in the last three years. He broke his wrist and had a very difficult time making it back to his car as there were ladders indeed. I hope you find a new reliable hiking partner.

Lovely pictures! Hope your new hiking partner turns out to be a good fit for you. 😉

Beautiful pictures as usual. Is he a keeper?

@xenoview

Only as a hiking partner. The jury is still out about that.

His short beard is like a white wire brush. It would tear my tender skin.

To my disgust, Charlie repeatedly hawked and spit on the trail. I had to step over it. Yuck.

Have never been around a man with that coarse habit. Gentlemen don't do that in front of women.

@LiterateHiker
Got it. No hawking or spitting. The hawking is an awful sound.

Appreciated the pictures....thank you

Beautiful

bobwjr Level 10 Sep 16, 2021

So does Charlie get a second date? Sounds like a good day.

@HippieChick58

I am not attracted to Charlie. His short beard is like a white wire brush. It would tear my tender skin.

To my disgust, Charlie repeatedly hawked and spit on the trail. I had to step over it. Yuck.

@LiterateHiker YUCK indeed.

@LiterateHiker ooops, I should have read the comments first! LOL. Sorry Charlie was a dud. ☚ī¸

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:622814
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.