Agnostic.com

12 1

How important is philosophy to you?

On a scale of 1-10 how important is philosophy to you? 0=not at all. 10=completely

inigomontoya 6 Sep 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

10- I love it ! But I don't know what it is

twill Level 7 Sep 28, 2021

"How many angels fit on the head of a pin?"

This absurd question is all I remember from the Philosophy 101 class I took as a college Freshman.

10 - For me Philosophy is a means of thinking. Of relating yourself to Nature and what we are trying to discover as reality. Logic, honesty, truth, reason, caring for others, many of the terms I consider to be used in Philosophy. Those who have come before us have left us with their answers to the problems they had, we can learn from them and progress forward, or we can make up shit and fall behind.

About the only credo that interests me is "Do no harm."

Deb57 Level 8 Sep 22, 2021

Yeah that’s a good one Deb! For sure! 😁

I like thinking about life, but I don't spend a lot of time learning what others think about life. For me it's more of a personal and ever changing thing.

It is important for everyone, as we each have a philosophy under which we operate. Whether we know it or not.

Wins the thread!

i agree

Learning what famous philosophers thought - 3.

Organizing my life around a coherent worldview - 15.

skado Level 9 Sep 20, 2021

For me it is as important as someone else's opinion, which I assign importance to, depending on how much sense it makes to me. That said, I am a whole lot more attracted to science.

Well said.

It is crucially important to know oneself, what one believes and why, Active study of philosophy at some time in one's life helps, and the process is always aided by seeking new knowledge.Building new knowledge into one's self system is the matter of integration of knowledge, perceptions, and actions into that self-system -- along with constant reflection and evaluation. That is philosophy in action.

Without philosophy, we cannot have epistemology.

Without epistemology, we cannot have learning.

Without learning, we cannot have any idea of what we are doing, of why we are doing it, of what we want to do, and how to go about achieving what we want to do.

I Have been trying to avoid philosophy for some years now and replace it with more certainty i.e.science. Philosophy has no "Crunch" point where you decide between alternatives. However there are so many uncertainties about it is very easy to slip into devising "wise statements" without actually proving anything. I do not think the human race will eliminate philosophy for a long time yet.

For me, proof exists only in mathematics. I see science as providing useful models of the natural world, nothing more, and in particular nothing is ever proven in science. Science only ever deals in probabilities, never certainties. I see philosophy as being a useful tool for discussing ways of understanding the natural world and our place in it.

1. I think philosophy is one of the bases of all knowledge. Whether or not we realize we are USING philosophy or not it is completely vital to our society.
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:623454
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.