Agnostic.com

33 7

LINK Birth Control for men is on the way. How will this change society?

A once a day birth control pill for men is in final approval stages. How do you see this effecting society?

kensmile4u 8 Apr 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Never underestimate the weaseliness and hypocrisy of men. We will wriggle out of taking any responsibility and continue to find ways of putting the burden back onto women.
Let's not kid ourselves.

You are projecting your own value system onto other men. Women are the ones who get pregnant, not men...it is not men who put that burden on women, mother nature did.

@dahermit This is about birth control, not pregnancy. Either party can take responsibility.

@Gareth You expect way too much from men...as a former girlfriend of mine used to say, "A stiff dick has no conscience."

Thanks for your comment. There will always be irresponsible people from both genders on the issue of sex. This pill will add one more tool to help produce responsible outcomes.

Society will still place the blame on women for unwanted pregnancy.

They are the ones who get pregnant. Whose responsibility should it be?

Thanks for your comment. I think the male pill might change some arguments in family courts. If a man is proven to have lied about taking birth control then a whole new set of laws should be established to address the man's responsibility in the unwanted pregnancy. Don't you agree?

Dahermit...it takes two to make a baby, why should the woman be the only one responsible? Many men won't take no for an answer, and few a willing to wear a condom.

@kensmile4u Do not agree. He is already held responsible for 18 years of child support...what more could logically be required of him?

@dahermit @jorj What if the woman wants to terminate the pregnancy? If the man made a woman pregnant under false pretenses then shouldn't he be made to pay for the abortion? What if the woman decides to keep the baby but has no medical coverage? Shouldn't the man who caused her pregnancy through a lie pay at least half of her medical expenses?

@Fornax Why should women take the responsibility...because they are the ones who get pregnant. It is just as simple as that. It may not be "what should be", but it is.

The last I knew, it takes 2, male and female genetic material must mix before conception can take place, so I ask again why should only the woman be responsible for contraception?

If he doesn't want to risk conception, he should take precautions, same with her. Or better yet, maybe all men, and all women should be sterilized before puberty, that way the surplus population of humans can dwindle down to more manageable levels.

So, just say no to sex!

@dahermit child support works both ways. It depends on who has custody of the children not gender.

@Lethallips Child support working both ways in many jurisdictions is not equal. As the former (now retired) Janitor from the middle school in Hillsdale, MI. He had custody of his two boys and received a total of $5.00 from his ex-wife. The courts would never enforce her order to pay but after several years of him not cashing the $5.00 F.O.T.C check, they took him to court to make him cash it to clear their books. If you think things have changed over the years, you are just unaware how little things have changed.

"The pill" was not the panacia for women's birth control that many think it was. There were resultant strokes and other problems that came with it. I suspect that there will be medical problems when the chemical approach is applied as broadly to men as was the pill for women.

Thanks for your comment. I read that there may be concern about log term testosterone levels. So you're right there might be some initial problems.

Won't affect me, I'm fixed. LOL!

Thanks for the comment. I noticed kids on your profile. This may effect your daughter and your son if you have one. When this thing comes out there will be a new social dynamic among singles who are not fixed.

Abortion rate may decline. Makes men more responsible. Birth rate may decline too.

Thanks for your comment. I agree with you on both points.

Making men more responsible when it comes to sex is an oxymoron.

This could work out for some couples.

Thanks for your comment. I agree!

@kensmile4u You're welcome.

I have a lot of hope for this. My son should have a reliable option if he does not want to become a father while enjoying a healthy sex life. Some girls in our rural high school DO lie in hopes of forcing a marriage. Also, it gives couples a backup option if one misses a pill, gets a leak in the latex, etc... putting them at risk.

I hope this proves safe without awful side effects.

Zster Level 8 Apr 21, 2018

Thanks for your comment. I'm glad you brought up the unfortunate existence of the pregnancy trap perpetrated by some nefarious women. One of my sons had this happen to him. This new pill will eliminate a lot of that. But it also will allow some nefarious men to employ the same lie to try to force a marriage now. Of course women will always have the option of abortion or the morning after pill.

Would be great to have a female pill without side effects, too!

I witnessed it happening three times while my daughter was in high school. One resulted in marriage. Two are raising babies on their own. This is somewhat linked to religious fundamentalism in the area, I suspect. Using contraception is a sin and all that.

Anything that prevents the massive Onslaught more people benefits Society. As a post-menopausal female , strictly into monogamy ,I would have to say it would not have that big of an impact on me. My advice for a pre menopausal female ,who was not in a monogamous relationship , I would still insist on condom use.

Thanks for your comment. Yes there is still the problem of trusting that someone is truthful or relying on the birth control working 100% of the time. And of course there is still the STD issue to worry about.

Different ways in different situations.

A monogamous couple could take turns to be responsible for birth control. And either would have the option of secretly using birth control if their partner wanted a child and they didn't. Something that's been a female only privilege so far. (There's no way you're getting a vasectomy and your partner not noticing.)

Those playing the field? I doubt any woman's going to put sufficient trust in a casual male partner to rely on this as a form of contraception. So I honestly don't see it having much of an impact.

There's also the belt and braces approach. No form of contraception is 100% effective. If you're both using contraceptive medication, the chances of both of you being fertile will be a lot lower than if only one of you was.

Overall, I think it's good that both male and female will have the option to temporarily and easily reversibly inhibit their ability to reproduce. It gives both sides more control.

Thanks for your comment. I agree with all your points. Especially the control issue. Giving control to men will reduce the occurrence of paternity lawsuits.

Spike in sti's for short term as a lot of people won't realise they still will need to wear condoms . In the long run it should be a good thing though less unplanned pregnancies etc

Thanks for your comment. I agree with both points.

Thinking, aware and proactive parts of society would benefit from lower numbers of unplanned pregnancy. Christian, Conservative and Evangelical types will continue to pontificate about the evils of birth control yet take it on the sly so they don't knock-up their married 'Family Values' fuck buddy.

Thanks for your insightful comment. I agree this pill will cause a lot of people to stop using a condom including all the religious hypocrites.

It won't

Thanks for the comment. Don't you think it will reduce unwanted pregnancy?

@kensmile4u nope.

Because most men still won’t use it.

This has been "on the way" for years. I'll believe it when I see it.

True. "Final stages" does not necessarily equate with imminent launch. Registration of new products can mean a bitch in regulatory hurdles.

I have been following this issue for years too. There have been several approaches that did not meet FDA specs for clinical trials due to many side effects. This one appears to have passed that hurdle. There is always the possibility of a senator stopping this in committee. But as i said in a previous comment, there is too much money to be made for this not to happen eventually. This is potentially a 150 million dollar a day product just in US sales assuming 2 dollars a pill. That's 50 Billion a year running into infinity. Who's going to stop that?

I participate in flagrant faggotry of all kinds, so this does not really have an effect on me. However, if men are ever able to carry children, I'll figure something out. I do not enjoy using condoms, so I'll use a coffee cup or something.

Thanks for your comment. I'm not a big fan of condoms either. But there is always the disease risk to worry about. Hopefully that will be the next success of health science innovation.

@kensmile4u Let's hope. Condoms are heinous.

Its gonna work because....SATAN!!!! We will have to overcome the stigma that religion will give it.

Thanks for your comment. I agree with you.

There will be fewer men trapped into being a father when they don't want to be by girlfriends who "swore" they were on some kind of BC, when they were not. Yes, I know condoms are a thing, but they suck.

So that's where she has been going wrong... Sucking my penis is not the condom clad little fella. ?????

The ultimate responsibility lies on your shoulders not the other person.

As the mother of a son, I share this sentiment. Anyone who does not wish to become a parent, but be sexually active needs access to safe effective birth control of their own. I hope that it proves safe.

Thanks for the comment. I'm the father of a son who was trapped by a girlfriend of many years who he grew to trust. She decided to take matters into her own hands since he hadn't asked her to marry him. She took herself off the pill and got pregnant without telling him. She flatly admits what she did. This pill would have spared him from the consequences of her capricious deceit.

My stepson's GF did the same thing to him, and my stepdaughter did it to her BF. The stepdaughter freely admits to going off the pill because her "biological clock" was going off. The stepson's GF was on the implant and continues to assert she "forgot" it was time to renew. Bullshit. She's too smart and together to "forget" something like that. Young guys need to know this is a fairly common thing and need to take precautions. And I still say condoms suck, even though that is currently the only option. A male BC pill would be awesome.

I think it is a brilliant idea!

I don't get excited about drugs until they've been used, safely, for oh--about 40 years or so. I mean, we recently found out that talcum powder was causing cervical cancer, FFS...

Thanks for your comment. The medical concern with this pill are side effects from deliberate reduction of testosterone levels. A trade off may be that men are less virile in bed. The article doesn't say this but it makes sense. We'll have to wait and see. This doesn't effect me anyway. I had a vasectomy 10 years ago. No virility issues here. 😉

After “40 years of safe use”, a drug is usually ABANDONED as ineffective, undesirable and no longer the best choice...

It has been known for more than 40 years that talcum powder is one atom removed from asbestos - a carcinogenic that has been known of by governments for something like 120 years yet used in most countries until recently.

Unlike a woman who has to face a possible pregnacy, it is too much of an abstration for almost all males (especialy of low intelligence) to raltionalize some responsablibly for a daily pill. I do not see it ever becoming widely used as is the female birth control pill. If you were for the purpose of enlarging his member, I sure that would appeal to him.

Hahahaha you are right about that! Men would be overdosing on supersize pills.Thanks for your comment.

The “supersize pills” are now abundant”... Not much overdosing.

People know these things are dangerous - such pills are only seriously and practically considered by aging men with medical problems, mostly - and they don’t do much overdosing!

@Ungod Usually with such over-the-counter products, they have the disclaimer: "These claims and statements have not evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration." In other words, they may not have and likely do not have any "enhancement" effect at all and their main purpose is but to separate one from one's money. Overdosing is not likely a problem inasmuch as the ingredients are likely inert, to begin with. In the case of a male chemical contraceptive, that may not be the case and cannot be compared to those over-the-counter products.

I don't know where you got the idea that these such products “do not have any enhancement effect at all”, or that’s what that FDA disclaimer means!

Have you ever heard of GOLDEN NIGHT?

It’s an “enhancement” pill that works with great effect AND was so dangerous it was taken off the market!

Something about possible fatalities from low blood pressure they could trigger.
You can google GOLDEN NIGHT for yourself and find out!

Or check out the FDA review here - Golden Night was a DANGEROUS “enhancement” drug!: [fda.gov]

I tried it several times only to find out the Chinese herbal store where I got them, here in Philadelphia Chinatown, had to stop selling them!

I tried it and it worked GREAT - which is why I made repeated purchases!

Don’t kid yerself, “enhancement” drugs DO “work”!!

Ask your doctor!!

@Ungod My ignorance of "enhancement" products may be the result of the fact that I have never needed them.

@dahermit Yeah, I’m sure the ladies just can’t resist you...

@Ungod Childish statement...I was stating a fact. The size of my member had nothing to do with how attractive or not I was perceived...that is a male archetypical myth. Just continue being an asshole, it is what you do.

@dahermit - The basic problem here is YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!

“Enhancement” means more than “the size of your member”!

You don’t use these products, you don’t know what they do, you don’t know the dangers.
You don’t even know if they “work”!

So SHADDUP about it !!

@Ungod Childishness rant. You must be shorter than 5''7".

@dahermit Long as I have the BIGGER DICK, shorty!!

@Ungod proof positive of an immature child.

@dahermit - Your SNOBBERY knows no bounds, SHORTY!

I think it'll help promote male personal responsibility. Slowly at first. But it'll become a discussion more than assumptions.

Thanks for your comment. I agree with you.

The men who can afford birth control already control their reproduction. So, this will change society as much as electric yacht motors.

Thanks for your comment. I'm not sure what you meant by your statement. There are presently enough facts to refute that men with money control their reproduction. Arnold Schwarzenegger having a baby with his house keeper is just one of thousands of examples. I bet he wishes he could have taken a birth control pill control on that day.

@kensmile4u the majority of unwanted children come from the poor. Of course you understand me. Schwarzenegger...lol

@kensmile4u I have billions of examples of unwanted poor children whose fathers can't afford a pill and dgaf to your thousands of examples

@ronodokk I was just looking for more precise language from you. Now that I understand you I will repeat what i said in another comment. "There will always be irresponsible people from both genders regarding the sex issue. This pill will be one more tool in the quest for more responsible outcomes."

There is already an institution dedicated to birth control for the poor. It is called planned parenthood. They have been providing free birth control pills to women for a long time. Why do you think this would not apply to men?

[plannedparenthoodaction.org]

@kensmiles4u - I am willing to bet that ASchwartzenegger’s maid did all she could to wring a baby out of his spunk... She would have told AS that she had a hysterectomy - and came up with “the documents to prove it”, if pressed!

It might calm the overpopulation down considerably. Personally, I'd just get snipped so I never have to worry about missing a dosage or it not being effective.

Nah said he tongue in cheek Trump and buddies have a few nuke parties they wish to invite many to... or so I have been told by fun loving people.

@FrayedBear Um...what? ?

Thanks for the comment. Getting snipped is kind of permanent. What if you meet that one girl who makes you want to multiply? It's kind of expensive to get un snipped!

@kensmile4u Nah, vasectomies are reversible but I don't want kids anyway. No crumb snatchers for me!

I see potentially positive change ahead...

Thanks for the comment. I agree!

No biggy for me!! I decided after our third child thirty six years ago to take matters in hand (no pun intended) and have those vas things snipped. As for society, I believe people are going to do what they want to do...good or bad, smart or stupid.

Thanks for the comment and thanks for your service. I got snipped too. But i wish i had this option before I got snipped because It gives a man more flexibility to switch in and out of baby maker mode.

Consequent to reading some opinions on male superiority I am reminded of the old joke dating back to cold war American paranoia. The story went - a Texas billionaire became so concerned with the threat of nuclear warfare that he had an atom bomb proof mansion built underground. At the topping out ceremony, the local mayor and state senator were invited, an expensive catering company hired to provide food and drink, and of course the TV news teams by the bucket load. So everything went swimmingly, the billionaire laid and cemented the engraved gold memorial plaque and was just putting the finally touches to it to finalize his very expensive atom bomb proof shelter when up strode a native First American in full war paint and shot him dead with his bow and arrow for being of the white people who had stolen his tribal lands and driven him and his people onto the reservation. Moral to the story [en.wikipedia.org] Professor Carlo Cipolla and his five laws of human stupidity.

A native Am, walks up to an event with a US senator, Texass mayor, rich white guys and a “bucket load of news teams”, “in full war paint” with a gun, and nobody tips off security before he openly kills someone? Was there NO security at such an event? . And what is a BILLIONAIRE doing laying cement and inlaying plaques himself !??

@Ungod ROFL please reread and try to comprehend date, topping out ceremony and bow and arrow.

@FrayedBear You need to REWRITE !!

@Ungod What rewrite do you suggest?

@FrayedBear - Good writing means REWRITING...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:62582
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.