Agnostic.com

10 11

LINK Christianity vs Taoism

I think this is an important linkage and one that offers our nation a narrative to unite us and define our path forward.

rainmanjr 8 Oct 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The major difference:::: The Jesus did NOT exist. A jewish myth.

You say that like you were there or have some privy knowledge which Archeology doesn't. That's why Atheists hold only a 7% approval. FYI, nobody knows whether Jesus existed as a philosopher or even just a talkative carpenter. We are all children of the Universe so, in essence (that's a pun) we are all Divine. Jesus said nothing against YOU and that's why I think Dem's should draft him back into use. Demand the so-called Christians start following Jesus and not God. God was a Jewish myth.

All religions are complete bullshit and provide zero intelligent and/or logical paths to anything. The only thing you can get out of bullshit is more bullshit.

Zen or Taoism is not religion. They are spiritual and that’s discussed up thread.

@rainmanjr spiritualism = religion = bullshit

@Mofo1953 Well, no. Spiritualism is merely a feeling associated to connection with nature. Religion is a practice involving dogma, rote, and ritual. There's a huge diff between the two and not seeing, or acknowledging, that is precisely why the vast majority tune out Atheists. Not believing in a Deity should have nothing to do with loving the fermement within us all.

@rainmanjr Don't really give a flying fuck about bullshit, spiritualism and religion are bullshit, like it or not, they are despite your trying to justify the obvious bullshit you're trying to sell but nobody is buying your bullshit or your moronic firmament that you believe must be within you without any evidence to back up your bullshit.

Waaaahhh Waaaaaaaahhhhh WWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

Translation: I want to suck Mommy's tits! 😀

Mommy's been dead for 12 years so not anymore.

@rainmanjr hmm…sour milk?

@Canndue And dry.

The use of the word kingdom seems to indicate a ruler, a king. The perpetuation of the paternalization of 'authority 'and the infantilization of everybody else.

In the time of Laozi and Jesus science as we know it did not exist but kingdoms did and I believe that Laozi was wise enough to know not to upset the rulers of his time. To the best of my knowledge there is no mention of a kingdom of heaven in the Dao De Jing.

The East and West were as divided as cultures can get. They didn’t use language the same way. You can’t compare word for word. You have to back up and look at context, and account for divergent cultural assumptions.

Of course there’s not. Tao is feminine as it gives birth to all that is. Tao te Jing states that a good ruler goes unnoticed but I am no scholar. Just a Monk who offers a plan.

There ARE No parallels since the actual existence of Lao Tzu can be proven conclusively whereas Jesus never existed EXCEPT in the Fables written by Scribes AFTER the Council of Nicaea decided to included an offspring from a mating between a God and a human woman, just as was many an ancient Greek, Roman, etc, etc, demigod as well, funny how that came about isn't it?

Absolutely. Thank you 🙏

Crawling around on the floor with a diaper full of shit is not my idea of an ideal afterlife. A nice quiet dirt nap is just fine by me, so go piss off and godbother someone else.

sounds like that diaper needs changing

@skado Baby Jeebus never existed so no change required there but Lao Tzu has a pretty good historical base to prove that he actually existed, probably shit his pants at some point in his life.

@skado Have YOU checked yours today?

@Triphid Checked my underwear for skid marks and they were clean out of shit stains. Guess I am fresh out of bull shit for a while. lol

Sounds like you’re using a supposed answer looking for a question. Why waste electrons…

I've got James Bond fever, right now, and Electrons Are Forever.

@rainmanjr Don't know about the " James Bond fever" bit, but you are either coming down with something or already have it and it does seem to very beneficial to your health imo.

@Triphid I like that opinion. Thanks

There is no parallel since one requires believing in yourself and the other requires believing in a god to be saved from yourself.

None of these verses can be apprehended without interpretation. We all choose which interpretation we prefer. No one can legitimately say “my interpretation is the only one that can possibly be true.”

Possible, sensible interpretations exist which render these verses with parallel meanings. And the more familiar you become with the various traditions, the more plausible those similarities become.

@skado This.

@skado Er, wrong, the interpretations of both comments/statements are as clear as crystal, i.e. Either you elect/choose to take a belief in yourself OR you take it that you MUST believe in a God to save you from yourself.
Now @skado, is that not clear enough for you or should try to find single syllable comparable with your mental acuity words to express it in in stead?

Your god does not exist, therefore that is just a pipedream and wishful thinking and just downright plagiarism. Go peddle your shit somewhere else.

Actually, it’s your god that doesn’t exist.

My God is myself. You are my illusion. Deal with that pronouncement.

@rainmanjr. Oh, ouch, 😆 🤣 😂

@skado and what God is that pray tell?

@skado, @rainmanjr and you are my illusion.

@MrDragon
The one that you’re envisioning when you tell someone it doesn’t exist.

@skado oh, I see, I usually picture the Bible God when I see a white Jesus. And to say that tao is compatible is ludicrous.

@MrDragon
And how long have you been seeing white Jesuses, Mr. Dragon?

@skado and how is that relevant.

These same connections and overlaps can be found in all major world religions.
It is only when we focus on these corresponding patterns that the real “intent” of ancient scriptures becomes clear. When confined to only one tradition we can become lost in the vagueness of the metaphors, and imagine intent that was never there.

skado Level 9 Oct 8, 2021
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:627050
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.