Agnostic.com

16 29

Gun-toting, conservative Catholic messaged me on a dating site.

I'm a "hippocratic," said a gun-toting, Republican Catholic from Idaho who contacted me on a dating website. I told him I'm an anti-gun, Democrat atheist.

"You would hide behind someone with a gun and that makes you a hippocratic," he replied. He meant "hypocrite."

The Hippocratic Oath is taken by physicians and means "Do no harm." How funny.

I replied with a brief vocabulary lesson. "'Do no harm fits me," I said. He likely didn't see the humor. Not wanting to get into a spitting match, I blocked him.

Republicans: the Party of Stupid.

LiterateHiker 9 Oct 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Reading his rhetoric, it seems to me as a gun owning Briton, who has owned and used black powder muskets since I was 18 (I'm giving my muskets up shortly) that Americans primarily own guns for self-protection or home defence.
Over here we own guns for mostly sport or recreational activities. As hopefully Americans will know, the UK has a civilian police force who uphold the law by consent and are except in extreme circumstances unarmed.
So why are Americans so scared of not having guns? In some locations, I do see the need to protect oneself from becoming a bear's dinner.

I just got a "like" from guy who listed fishing and golfing as his favorite pastimes. No thanks...think I'll pass. Regarding your experience, isn't it funny how these guys seem to conveniently screen themselves, and there's no detective work needed! The weirdest pictures are the ones with the guy's head on a pillow, or naked pot belly from the waist up, as if this were alluring. Oh, please, is that all you've got? I don't mind a few extra pounds after all, but don't flaunt it. Let's hear some humor or talent, or unusual interests. Arrrrggghhh... conversation is sexy. First brains, then whatever else.

It has never ceased to amaze me that guys who whistle and do cat calls to passing women actually think that makes them more appealing.

Hardly anything surprises me any more. Human behavior is weird, and cluelessness is pretty common, I guess. I think they're just trying to impress their friends when they do that.

@JackPedigo I have some what you might call, er, strange cousins, three brothers, all alone. All do the cat call thing....And whenever actually conversing with a woman ( or anyone) I've noticed, really talk down to her.

Did I mention they are all 3 alone ?

I wouldn't have even bothered responding....I just block these dumbasses immediately anymore.

So true🤬

How nice that he messaged you. How lucky can you get!!!!

Our saving grace is having a sense of humor in these strange times. Otherwise, it gets intolerable.

You are correct; many people do not even read profiles. I support the right to arm bears instead.
My cat took the Hippocatic Oath!

Oh, FFS.
🙄

You sure attract some strange people.

@MrDragon

Most men just look at a woman's photos and ignore her profile.

I am clear in my profile about what I want in a match.

@LiterateHiker I know what you mean, I've had women on fb messenger text me asking all kinds of questions and the first thing that I ask is if they read my profile, and as in your case, they say No. Then I tell them to go and read it then come back. Most of the time they don't come back because all the answers to their questions are there.

It is very easy to meet strange people on dating sites. For every normal, decent viable man one finds on the internet, there are 100's or crazies. Mostly there were scammers but I also met a few conspiracy nuts, and BDSM freaks, exhibitionists, alcoholics, and gun-toting, red neck, Trump voters.

You mean you weren't instantly smitten, LiterateHiker?

How could you possibly resist such charm!

Really stupid guy

bobwjr Level 10 Oct 17, 2021

Well… at least you are getting messages, I guess.

I'd have been a little concerned just by where he chose to live. Idaho is full of religious gun nuts who join militias and prepare for the end of the world. Lots of survivalists there.

I find his reasoning to be flawed. You don't stand behind people with guns because the people with guns are going to be shot at. Carrying a gun makes you a target to bad guys with guns.

@snytiger6

For 25 years, I have refused to hike in Idaho's beautiful mountains. Idaho is filled with redneck gun nuts who hate hikers. They see us as tree-hugging hippies: the enemy.

The news I’ve heard says there are so many unvaxxed people with Covid in Northern Idaho hospitals that they are being sent to nearby states.

@LiterateHiker Idaho has had hot and cold running crazies for years. I still remember about 35 years ago spending about 6 hours on the side of I 90 near the WA border, while ATF disarmed and removed a bomb on the bridge placed there by white separatists who wanted to isolate Idaho from the rest of the country. Aparantly the gene pool hasn't improved any.

Geez, I hate people.... lol

Men like that are useless.

I would've blocked him sooner ! 🙂

Maybe you should've told him to sit down and discuss it with his " uncle dad"

I bet he took the Hippocrite Oath."

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:628676
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.