Agnostic.com

28 2

Is it important for you to think that you have contributed in some small way to the benefit of society?

Does it make a difference one way or the other?

atheist 8 Apr 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I grew up immersed in community where that was just part of the culture. My parents were activists in the Civil Rights Movement. There are 5 of us kids: two librarians, one teacher, a PT and a nurse, all of us in service positions.
How can one breathe the air, enjoy the natural resources, be alive without paying it forward?

@atheist Because nurses get shit on. I love my job but I'm a case manager not a floor nurse. If I based my self esteem on my career, well... nurses are to blame ( convenient scapegoats) for everything that goes wrong...I'd be unhappy, too. But I guess the job is satisfying, great benefits and I've infused my life and relationships with meaning and purpose that it's hard to find in a career.
I almost think we should start a nurse group. Do you want to talk more? Feel free to PM me.

Wonderful!

@CandyWorner, are you self-identifying as another demoralized nurse by profession? lol

That might be the name of our group 'Demoralized Nurse by Profession'. If we're to be a group, we should put out suggestions and vote on a name.

@atheist it was just chatter...

No, not at all.
I often help individuals and at times that may be detrimental to more than it helps, so a negative for society. eg I help people fight Government Agencies, this reduces income for the government and costs the wider population money. But wrong is wrong. I encourage people to withdraw from the economy. I prefer not to benefit the industrial society. I do a lot of charity work, I volunteer a lot. This is bad for the economy. I should be working hard, earning heaps, paying lots of tax, consuming more. an example.
I grow $100 of my own food, that benefits noone except myself.
If I go and do a meaningless for for a few hours, earn $150, pay $50 in tax and buy $100 of food, the national GDP has increased by $300.

@atheist I hope it impacts, but not in the way society wants. I believe most things are going in the wrong direction. Many consider me a bad person including my ex wife, some ex partners, my birth family. OK they consider me bad for many reasons, but one of the major ones is that I refuse to achieve my earning potential. I have been criticized by politicians and bureaucrats for the way I choose to live. I am not contributing the way they think I should. Their idea is because I am able to do something I am obligated to. I don't want to live in a capital city, work long stressful hours, I gave that away 30 years ago. I am bad, I have cost ex employers millions because they were doing the wrong thing. Last week I was offered a few hundred dollars per person to talk with potential clients of a company. I felt uncomfortable, I support the company but feel my credibility is lost if I am paid to give the advice. So we have agreed that every couple of months they will donate a similar amount to our local not for profit community association. ooooh, a tax deduction for the business, I get to do work I believe in, unpaid, the community benefits, and no tax is paid. I will help some people, but not society as a whole. Hard to explain, but my life sucked for many years, now it is actually very good so I am happy to keep going as I am.

@atheist I think you are awesome!

@CandyWorner agreed.

In the grand scheme of things, no... Biological success is probably all that really matters; but that's where we are different from the rest of the natural world. Because we do have society, and culture, it's worth preserving, and contribution...

I don't know if it is important to everyone to contribute to society; but we all do it in our own way regardless.

I've made a career of helping people be complete again, through prosthetics, and orthotics- and I find it fulfilling in a number of ways... But, in the end, I do it for my own fulfillment, not ever really thinking of it's benefit to society... Well, okay, I do find fulfillment in benefiting the people who are walking around in the world on devices that I made for them; but is that important?

More important to me is that I get to do something I like doing, and it affords me the ability to enjoy the life that I want.

In the end, we will all be dust, and nothing matters all that much- except to realize that life is fleeting, and precious, and it's as good as we make it.

This has been a very convoluted response to your question, but I guess what I'm saying is no: It shouldn't be important to think you're benefiting society. It's more important to do what makes you happy, and hopefully it benefits society anyway.

Peace!

@atheist Living a life just for self satisfaction sounds a bit shallow and self absorbed. There must be a higher standard for a well lived life.

Humans are social animals. We thrive when we cooperate, nurture and provide for each other.

@dare2dream Yes! You said it. We thrive when we cooperative, nurture, and provide for each other. We do that best when we're happy doing it.

@atheist @dare2dream My grandparents raised their children during the depression, and they told tales of putting children to bed hungry and having to let them cry themselves to sleep. After that, any thing you had was abundance. Their philosophy was add a potato to the pot and there will be enough to share with all comers. The world has abundance, there are huge supply chain issues, and greed and avarice amongst those who have the abundance. One day I hope those individuals realize that hoarding does not make you happy, sharing does. Yeah, I know, not in my lifetime.

Yes, it's important for me to feel I am benefiting humanity rather than taking advantage. And no, I don't think it makes much of a difference. I simply cannot help myself.

@atheist Yes, but it doesn't do much for humanity as a whole ... or society. Guess I'm into self-gratification 😉

@atheist very small ripples.

“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.” - Horace Mann

“The day we stop helping each other is the day we stop being human beings.” ~ from the movie 2012

@atheist : It may be idealistic but I hope it is principled.

@atheist : You're right. So we should choose our ideals and principles wisely. 😉

No. I am OK as long as l know that l haven't done anything to harm society. I know playing music is a positive thing, but it requires no sacrifice on my part. It is something l love.

I don't sacrifice as a nurse. I just give. Where would we be without the musicians? Music is a contribution, IMHO.

@crazycurlz l spent a month in the hospital in the 90's. Nurses are the back bone of a hospital. Tech's and doctors spend a very limited time with patients. The nurses were there for all the bad stuff, they were there when l needed someone the most. Nurses have more to do with making an intolerable situation tolerable than anyone else in a hospital. I cannot overstate my respect and admiration for what you do.

@Sticks48 TY! love to hear that!

Earth Day tomorrow! I wish I could go to an event. Sundays the buses don't run.

@atheist Sleeping now, because when I'm physically sick, he is too.

@atheist Yes he is.

Anything positive that you do that do not set back humanity is a contribution. So why the grandeur? I Fathered three wonderful adults!

@atheist Because I could have Fathered 3 individuals that to see them I will have to visit the Cementary, the Sanatirium and Prison and neither be considered a Citizen by me... and Fathering Good Outstanding, Hard Working Citizens and Good Human Beings is Important to me. You may be happy counting stars and raising chickens.... that is you and your life. MY LIFE, MY CHOICE OF CONTRIBUTION. For all we know you could be closely related to the "Naked Shooter".

@atheist it was a bad day for white ameriKKKans.... watching the news.... a Trifecta... the naked shooter, the murdering grandma and an american airlines passenger got kick off the plane.... all got arrested as main news on same day. I hope the visitor from France did not watched the news.

Yes, and yes.

@atheist -- My little part of the world is a better place than when I came into it. I can't speak for all the others.

Not really, mainly because I have no power, no money, and no connexions. I'm not going to make any kind of difference any time soon.

@atheist I honestly don't know. I mean, I guess people have told me I brighten their day and such, but nothing impactful, I don't think.

Some days it's the reason I get out of bed.
Other days I think "who cares, what does it matter?"

@atheist How Dare You!! I am Totally Unique... 😉
Ya - I suspect that I'm no different.

Nope.

@atheist I felt that was sufficient.

Eh for me it's just making sure I don't screw things up.

@atheist I mean if I can help folks sure but what is it they say leave nothing but foot prints

I guess so, I’m ready to troll that troll if and when he returns.

It makes a difference to me. I believe I've done good while I'm here and I will leave a legacy. I'm satisfied and if I die today I will have no regrets.

My reasoning goes like this. I am a human being and recognise there are others who are like me. We each feel pain and struggle to live. I want to live in a kind, gentle world where I can thrive. I therefore should do what I can to make this world a better place for myself and others. I find meaning and purpose in helping others.

It is not important to me, however, I aspire to do that but am not sure if I have made any difference and if I have it has been very minimal or even noticable.

I think everyone and everything we do contribute or negatively ipothers and the planet whether consciously or not. For me it is important that I make a positive difference as much as possible or at least to offset the negative effects like garbage pollution etc. Though I fall short, I have a goal of leaving anyone I meet in a better or at least neutral place than they were before. So even if they are upset I am me and compassionate. I aspire to do more by leaving less of a carbon print and purging all the stuff to live in tiny cheaper space to enjoy life more and use less resources. But I strongly feel even the little things like being kind to others can have a ripple effect and transform the world.

Yes. And I have been lucky enough to be able to do pretty often.

Well,yes.If you think about it human existence has always been about contributing to the society in our benefit
either bad or good

It makes a difference and if we are all wrong and there is some sort of final accounting I'll hold my head up and say "This is what I've done." with no regrets or fears.

Kimba Level 7 Apr 21, 2018

Yes, I live in a society and benefit from it, so I feel that I must give back or contribute positively to that society. I like to think that I have made some difference. I've mentored people who tell me I've made a difference in their lives. I don't do it expecting anything in return and don't believe that I'll receive any rewards for it.

Yes. oh yes/ I believe in the quote, "Service is the rent we pay for the time we spend on this earth."

Makes a difference to society .. pretty much everything I have done this lifetime has been directed at helping or improving. Workwise and socially. It just feels right but I don't do it for me really ..

Yes Being a good example is great for starters. Growing up my family constantly helped others. My Dad was in his eighties when I walked out to my yard where he was handing someone down on their luck a quarter. He was saying it was the last of his money and it was! I adored my Dad. He was the kindest gentlest man I ever met!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:62955
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.