Agnostic.com

7 11

LINK Job market trend: Hiring managers are enraged at job seekers “ghosting” them.

Few people are as knee-deep in our work-related anxieties and sticky office politics as Alison Green, who has been fielding workplace questions for a decade now on her website Ask a Manager. In Direct Report, she spotlights themes from her inbox that help explain the modern workplace and how we could be navigating it better.

In today’s topsy-turvy job market, a strange new thing is happening. Employers are increasingly grumbling about job seekers “ghosting” them. These job candidates just don’t show up for their scheduled interviews. And in some cases, new hires accept a job only to disappear.

Here’s some of what I’ve heard from managers:

I’m in the medical field and this is happening to us to for the past year 6–12 months. Being ghosted for interviews, people not responding. Five people scheduled to interview, but one shows up. We’ve even hired people who didn’t show up in the first day or didn’t return for the second. Nurses and front office positions. It’s unreal.

I went from working at a nonprofit to working for a vendor. … Part of my job is hiring, but I’m having a much harder time hiring now than I did at the nonprofit. The pay and benefits are better—we start people at more than the max rate at the nonprofit, hours are more consistent, and we offer good PTO, matching 401k, and insurance. I’ve sent out over 30 offers to interview. Nine agreed to interviews. Three didn’t show up, two failed background checks, two didn’t want to travel … and we’ve made offers to the other two but neither has responded to accept or reject. I’ve never had so many people just not respond or not show up. Is this the new normal? … I’m at a loss and feeling really discouraged.

I’m hiring for multiple hourly entry-level manufacturing jobs, well above local minimum wage with PTO, benefits, etc. If I reach out for a brief phone interview, only 50 percent respond. If I set up the interview, it’s no longer shocking when someone doesn’t answer the phone. … THEN once I offer a job … nothing. No response. I don’t get it.

Employers, unsurprisingly, do not like this. It’s rude, they say, and unprofessional. And sure, it is. But employers have been doing this to workers for years, and their hand-wringing didn’t start until the tables were turned.

For years I’ve fielded questions from job seekers frustrated at being ghosted by job interviewers. They would take time off from work, maybe buy a new suit, spend time interviewing—often doing second, third, and even fourth rounds of interviews—and then never hear from the employer again. They’d politely inquire about the status of their application and just get silence back. Or they would make time for a phone interview—scheduled at the employer’s behest—and the call would never come. When they’d try to get in touch about rescheduling … crickets. It’s been so endemic that I’ve long advised job seekers to expect never to hear back from employers, and to simply see it as an unavoidable part of job searching.

But now that the situation is finally reversed, oh the schadenfreude! Here’s a smattering of what workers have written to me about the turnabout:

Honestly I LOVE seeing potential employees treating employers the way employers have been treating their candidates for years! And then seeing the employers get all upset about it like they haven’t been behaving exactly the same way. … I really really hope that employers learn a lesson from this and start respecting job seekers a little more (although I’m not optimistic).

Maybe this will help employers clean up their act. Honestly, in all my years working and interviewing for jobs, I’ve only had a handful of companies get back to me after an interview. I’ve had so many just go AWOL after an interview that I thought that it was normal employer behavior, and that a company getting back to a candidate to say they were not proceeding was going the extra mile and never something to be expected.

If it’s unprofessional and rude to ghost someone in business communications, then why have employers been doing just this for years? It seems perfectly rational to conclude that since they have been ghosting applicants for years, therefore ghosting is normal and acceptable in business.

If employers wanted to be treated better, they shouldn’t have spent the last three decades treating candidates with such little humanity. You can’t treat an entire class of people like crap for decades, strip them of rights and protections, and then be upset when we don’t show enough deference to the people asking us to beg for work.

Given how many jobs I took the time and resources to apply to, research and show up for an interview who then never bothered to thank me for my time or let me know they filled the position, I can’t even summon up a little bit of empathy for this.

It’s also worth noting that in many cases, the reason employers are having trouble attracting candidates who stick is because what they’re offering—in pay, benefits, hours, or other conditions of the job—simply isn’t competitive. It might have been competitive a few years ago, but it’s not in this market, and they haven’t updated their thinking to account for that:

I work in the public sector and we are seeing plenty of candidates disappearing. Although we have worked on pay the last few years, we are not competitive. Our governing body became very used to the job market conditions during the recession and for several years after where the employer had all the leverage. They are only now beginning to realize how the roles have reversed.

For example, we have been trying to fill one of our entry-level positions for the last year:

First go-around: no qualified applicants

Second go-around: four qualified applicants, only two showed for interviews. Offered the job to both and they declined.

Third time’s the charm, right: We hired somebody and on their third day they didn’t show up to work. Never contacted us and wouldn’t return our calls.

Now we’re in the middle of try number four. We have a conditional offer but the candidate has pushed the start date back twice. We’ll see.

It remains to be seen how long these market conditions will last. But if getting ghosted helps employers better understand what they’ve been doing to job seekers for years, that’s a good thing. And if it reflects a real shift in power toward workers, that’s even better.

HippieChick58 9 Oct 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Whether you run an agency or a charitable company, we have the ideal answer to build strong relationships with your customers.You'll be able to achieve your goals and advance your job at savilinx.com. The majority of Savilinx work from home Hattiesburg, MS will be done from your home workplace, with occasional meetings and training sessions taking place outside of the office. Both general and job-specific instruction is offered to new hires.

Years ago, when I was working, I always interviewed candidates openly, and would tell them my decision during the interview or within a couple of days.
There's no point waiting if someone is unsuitable, and often, when two people are eminently suitable, it becomes sensible to rethink your needs and to take them both on.

I am of the opinion that people have learned that if they are not treated as if they are wanted or respected, even for a starting position, why would they want to work there. If they do not want you, you do not want to be there. Take the hint. I have always interviewed for a job, even if I knew the owner of the shop. It is easy to get a job but it is hard to keep it. The previous reason. Pay and benefits come with some jobs and do not with others, it depends on the place the business exists. Thanks that there is Medicare and that the Affordable Health Care Act went into place. It is hard to work at a job where one does not get paid enough to live in the area they work. We bought a house almost twenty years ago and have almost lost it twice. If we lose the house we are homeless as there are no places to live. This is a destination area, rich people come here to retire. They purchase homes and live in them several months of the year. The price of housing is so high now that I have no idea how people can afford to just live and eat, much less buy a car, or have any medical bills. We need things to change and the republicans can all die for all I care, their policies have done nothing but hurt Kate and I. People need jobs, they need to be treated well and respected. If not everyone will be homeless and living in the places not occupied by others. Sorry this went into a rant, but I am tired of being F**.

More than 20 years ago, I got ghosted by a department manager after interviewing at Parsons. Parsons was supposed to be a reputable engineering firm, so when I heard nothing, I was shocked. I'd never been treated so rudely. Corporations have steadily chipped away at the various aspects of the social contract, so I'm not surprised to read this.

First, I apologize for not being able to read through your entire essay. However, I get the gist.

My wife and I own a care facility for seniors and have a core cadre of fantastic staff. Periodically we are in need of additional staff, but when we put out a job requisition we get responses, and people actually commit to applying. They get their fingerprints and set up interviews. Then, for some unknown reason they ghost us. No calls, no emails, nothing! They don’t even have the courtesy to tell us that they made another decision.

If ghosting is this generation’s way of turning down work, it says a lot about this generation’s sense of courtesy. We set aside time to meet with a potential candidate, and then they ghost us? They don’t even have the common courtesy to say they won’t be coming? Rudeness is all I can say this is!

Thoughts? Observations?

Having spent several months unemployed recently I had many interviews that I never heard back from that employer. I had more than one interview with at least one company, and then crickets. I had interviews with a company that had misleading advertisements. They didn't want customer service people, they wanted sales reps. They were slick as hell, but as I've been through THAT rodeo before I figured it out, and yes, I ghosted them. There are lot of BAD employers out there, or employers with BAD hiring practices. My current employer has run that side of the business well and I'm thankful to be employed.

I feel soooo baaaad for them..Not.

That's what employers did to job seekers. No notification after an interview.

As a human resources director, I always called people I interviewed afterward. Or sent letters thanking them for applying, but we hired someone else.

Glad rude employers finally know how it feels.

I would never do that to a candidate. Rudeness is rudeness, plain and simple, and if this generation’s behavior is their way of paying back past behavior, it completely ignores all the good and decent hiring managers and organizations out there who don’t agree with being rude.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:630216
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.