Agnostic.com

8 17

LINK Man imprisoned 45 years for wife's killing is acquitted (America's 2nd longest serving innocent inmate)

Sometimes, I wonder if I'll be alive to see ANY desperately needed criminal justice reform.

Watching case after case, such as this, slowly unfold, definitely causes me pause.

45 years. An entire lifetime, knowing your own self, you did nothing wrong. It's painful. And no doubt there's law enforcement and protectors who knew all along he was innocent. 😢

(It took the jury less than 90 minutes to aquit him.) 😒

SeaGreenEyez 9 Nov 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would be frightened to discover how many innocent people have been convicted of violent crimes due to either bad eyewitness identification or else false alibis provided for other, actually guilty, suspects, such as when friends or domestic partners or spouses lie for their guilty partners.

I am glad that he is exonerated and free, but this is nowhere near justice.

The wonderful US "justice" system. It needs to be torn down and rebuilt. Here in Louisiana, we have about 1500 people serving life without parole, having been convicted by a non unanimous jury under a law put in place during reconstruction to lessen the impact of black jurors on convictions. I don't know how you justify saying one is guilty beyond a reasonable doubt when at least one juror has doubt. SCOTUS has since ruled it unconstitutional, but failed to make that ruling retroactive in a follow up case. All of those convictions should be set aside, but the state is fighting doing that. And, if course, most of them are black. Black folks make up 33% the total population of Louisiana, but 76% of the prison population.

And oh look, he's black. Who would have guessed?

Just what I was about to say

A case like this is why the UK abolished the death penalty. A fellow was hung for murdering his wife, turned out she'd been killed by a serial killer living in the flat below. And police had missed things like a fencepost propped up with a human femur in his garden.

Needs to be abolished everywhere.

The death penalty has been discredited long ago in more civilized countries than the US. But unfortunately, too many Americans are stupid enough to buy the con that having a death penalty actually makes them any safer. And Americans also are more into vengence than justice anyway. So pols will always be able to sell the death penalty here in the red states. Another big argument against the death penalty is not only how it is misused against actual violent criminals, but how easily it is abused in dictatorships and authoritarian countries against any political opponents of the ruling government. It is the ultimate punishment and oppression tool in governments that have become lawless.

I hope he makes them bleed money for all his suffering.

In some states of the US exonerated people who are pardoned by the governor are eligible to receive $50,000 for each year they spent in prison. But total compensations cannot exceed $750,000.
However 15 states provide no compensation or services for innocent men and women, leaving them with nothing to help rebuild their lives upon release, seeing it as a failure on the victims part to prove their own innocence, not the fault of the state legal system which is presumed to be perfect and just.

And still, in some places, people convicted of crimes aren't allowed to have their cases overturned, like this one, even if and when new and exculpatory evidence is found.

This is the best reason for ridding ourselves of the death penalty, all it takes is a little empathy and the humility to admit you can be wrong even if fully convinced. Unfortunately the law and order Conservatives have NO empathy or humility, so I don't make this argument, it's like talking about your barbecue recipes with a vegan, they'll have little interest, so I argue price because it's also cheaper to keep a person in jail for life than to execute them. Conservatives are all about the money most of the time, but they're hard to convince because they're also there for the cruelty, they really love the cruelty.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:632486
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.