Agnostic.com

4 5

Can you interpret these pictograms?

TheoryNumber3 8 Dec 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

DEB
     __

SOUC AIR IANCE

deb on air in souciance

@FearlessFly Took me a minute, but I got it 🙂

All of you guys are good

1 Sandin' (sanding) block
2 Man overboard
3 I Understand
4 Reading Between the lines
5 Long Underwear
6 Crossroads
7 Down Town
8 Tricycle
9 Split Level
10 Three degrees below Zero
11 Neon Lights
12 Circles under the eyes
13 Big Chair
14 Double dice
15 Touch down
16 five feet underground
17 Mind over matter
18 He's beside himself
19 Glance in the Mirror
20 Life after Death
21 Yank (A G.I. Overseas)
22 Space Programme (makes no sense an underscore is not a space and program is not the same as programme)
23 Blousy
24Just between You and Me

Love 19 Glance in the mirror, did not get that one, but I got 18 as He's over himself, rather than "beside". And Fearlessfly below has 23 as "See through blouse".

@Fernapple
Maybe it is my being English being beside yourself is a common expression for being very angry, and Blousy "Blouse C" is a common expression for slovenliness in the UK

I didn’t figure out Life after death…the slash complicated it. Circles under the eyes just totally threw me.

@MsKathleen Yes it took me a while with the 3 i's followed by one i seemed significant but I guess it was not.

@MsKathleen Yes I only got that one after a prompt.

@Fernapple Actually, it's "glance backwards"

@Fernapple, @MsKathleen #12 was the one that stumped me

@Fernapple, @MsKathleen, @LenHazell53 Here, "beside oneself" means distraught or anguished

@TheoryNumber3 Yes though the / or forward slash, is often used as a sub for the horizontal line in vulgar fractions, so I thought that "over himself" was a better bet on the original.

@TheoryNumber3 I think both would be correct.

@TheoryNumber3 Backward glance.

@Fernapple Now I have to wonder about the usage of the term "vulgar". Language is strange.

@TheoryNumber3 Yes, funny term, I don't know if you use it in America as we do in Britain, to mean none decimal fractions. Its one of those terms like "homework" that you never hear again after you leave school. That sort of usage of vulgar, to mean normal/ordinary rather than rude, is perhaps more common to hear among gardeners and botanists, where vulgar and the latin vulgaris are common plant names.

@TheoryNumber3 Vulgar comes from the Latin vulgaris simply meaning commonplace, colloquial or proletariat.
In time, it came to be a derogatory term used to indicate a lack of sophistication or higher education.
Eventually becoming an insult equating with rude, unpleasant, sexually perverse and dirty

@LenHazell53 @Fernapple You learn something every day!! I'm always surprised when I look up the definition/etymology of a word in common usage, to find that the actual meaning differs from how it's generally used. And sometimes we interpret the meaning of a word from context, but our interpretation isn't always correct. I keep a spreadsheet of unusual words. I find them fascinating. I'm going to post them.

@TheoryNumber3 Oh I would love that, though I think there is a group on unusual words.

@Fernapple I just posted it in "Uncommon words and their meanings".

1 Sandbox
2 Man on board
3 I understand
4 reading between the lines
5 long underwear
6 Crossroads
7 Downtown
8 Tricycle
9 split level
10 3 degrees below zero
11 neon lights
14 paradise
15 touchdown
16 five feet below the ground
17 mind over matter
18 he's beside himself
19 backward glance
20 life or death
22 space program
23 see through blouse
24 just between you and me

13 High Chair
21 GI Overseas

12 Dark circles under the eyes(?)

1. High chair?
  1. Life after death
  2. G.I. overseas. (Solder in another country)
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:637015
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.