Agnostic.com

8 8

LINK Pope Francis: Don’t Sweat Over ‘Sins of the Flesh’

While it’s unlikely the pope would ever actively advocate for the sowing of one’s wild oats, he told reporters earlier this week that “sins of the flesh” are not the “most serious.” Instead, in his holy opinion, pride and hatred are the worst sins a person can commit. In a question and answer session with reporters on a flight from Greece to Italy, Pope Francis fielded inquiries on the resignation of Michel Aupetit, the archbishop of Paris, who offered to step down earlier this month after a French magazine claimed he had had a consensual sexual relationship with a woman. Aupetit has denied the account, but asked forgiveness over the ambiguity of his past behavior, saying he had “poorly handled” the relationship. “It was a failing on his part, a failing against the sixth commandment [forbidding adultery],” Pope Francis said, “but not a total one.” The Pope accepted the bishop’s resignation, but told reporters he had done so due to “gossip.” He called the situation “an injustice.” He added: “That’s why I accepted the resignation of Aupetit: not on the altar of truth but on the altar of hypocrisy.”

snytiger6 9 Dec 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

But when I think about Sins of the Flesh, I really start sweating...

I guess nobody knows for certain but it has been said that the Catholic Inquisition resulted in the deaths of 50 million people. The only dictator who came close to killing that many people was Joseph Stalin.

WWII did that amount in Deaths so it has estimated.

And they did it without 20th Century methods of mass murder. Imagine if they had had guns and bombs?

@David1955 They were ruthlessly efficient in exterminating all who opposed them and they branded alchemists (the forerunners of today's chemists) 'witches' . Anybody who could effect a cure for some disease was considered to be in league with the devil and was horrifically tortured to death.

As well as catholics, especially the church elders, keep and hold hypocrisy near and dear to their hearts, evangelicals, especially American evangelicals are the kings and queens of hypocrisy.

They certainly don't sweat about sins of the flesh in the Catholic church.

Sad that they are so blatantly hypocritical and vile in their actions and behaviours.

Hypocrisy is all religions first name.

🤮🤮🤮🤮says the pedophile enabler and head of the one of the main instruments of women’s suffering and denigration and child rape.

Are you insinuating the POPE, aka Protector Of Paedophile Employees, has full knowledge of the disgusting behaviour of his fellow Paedophiles?

I'll see your anger and treble it.

The alter off hypocrisy is all there is to religion of all stripes.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:638352
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.