Agnostic.com

3 14

LINK The God's Honest Truth about Humanism - TheHumanist.com

This article was originally published in the newsletter of the Secular Humanist Society of New York (SHSNY).

As a humanist, I’ve always been asked a basic question about my belief system and it goes something like this, “David, you don’t believe in god so where do you get your morals?” Since I am an educator, I always take this time of either negative challenge or honest reflection from the questioner and attempt to explain briefly what humanism is all about as concisely as possible.

I tell them that humanism, like any philosophy, is as much a way of understanding, acting, and being in the world as it is an embrace of specific tenets and expectations. That it is equal to religious philosophy and theology in its ability to define “good and bad” but that it does not require belief in any deity to threaten damnation or glory in a religiously expressed afterlife.

To me, humanism is liberation from man-made religious belief and the throws of religious authority which are often subjective and frequently at odds with modernity. You only need to see the growing empty churches and vacant houses of worship to see how the utility of religion and its associated relevance is being neglected even by its adherents.

Humanism is the unvarnished trust in oneself and our fellow humans to be kind and good to each other for the sake of the NOW. To trust science and exploration. A trust in discovery based on the human ability to have an almost limitless curiosity about the worlds in us and around us. A trust in human rights and equal rights for every person on the planet. And finally, to take action based on these trusts, to be good without god while making our time here and that of the planet safer, richer, and kinder.

I also explain that you can also be a humanist and be a religious person. Certainly this seems like a dichotomy. But I know plenty of Jewish, Christian, and Muslim people and people of other philosophical and religious beliefs who claim religious identity as well as accept secular humanism. This is a duality I can understand but personally cannot accept because I am an atheist, so it doesn’t fit me.

But that’s the part I love sharing the most about humanism. The fact that humanism isn’t exclusive but INCLUSIVE to anyone who accepts fairness, is open-minded, and supports the Humanist Manifesto III (even if they’ve never heard about or read it) because it dovetails nicely with the UN’s Declaration of Human Rights.

In summing up, I conclude there are many bridges to build in this world. Between people as well as between nations. I say that the humanist perspective can only hasten a better and more just world with greater knowledge and understanding. It doesn’t mean humanists wear rose-colored blinders or attempt to excuse away bad deeds. Such relativity isn’t helpful. But it does mean we have an obligation to call out evil when we see it and work for social, economic, and environmental justice.

Usually the questioner walks away–mostly confused–but sometimes they find it comforting knowing that humanism isn’t about hating or stopping people from their own beliefs. Education mission complete!

Dr. David I. Orenstein is the President of Secular Humanist Society of New York and the former AHA representative to the United Nations.

HippieChick58 9 Dec 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

All morality was invented by humans. Because some humans claimed their invisible skybuddy gave them their morals doesn't actually change that.

I have no idea how it is possible to accept the lies of religion, and yet pretend that reality also has some worth. Maybe I am playing with words, but I have a bit of a problem with the "human" part of humanism- there are other residents on this rock besides humans. Ya, I know, "God gave us meat." "We are going to have barbecued dog this afternoon-----and apple pie for desert!" Evil is such a relaxing pastime!

I have considered myself a Secular Humanist for most of my 84 years of living.

Me too(82) ......but I have been considering whether to cut out the word 'secular' as being an apartheid system.

@Mcflewster I say keep the word secular. If you ditch that word, you allow for the all to often seen possibility that concern for the well-being of you, your fellow man, and all of your progeny here in this life and world, can become secondary to the concerns for some imaginary deity, and for imaginary "souls", to win favor for some imaginary afterlife.

@Rossy92 Did you understand what I said about apartheid ? The words are derived from splitting off, separation, separate developments, section.

Splitting off is what religions do when someone in a religion does not like the canon law and wants to start a new religion without coming to any joint reformations.

Apartheid did not work in South Africa and only turned around when forgiveness and reconcilliation were imposed. A separation system did not work in Northern Island and they have STILL not gotten a system of reconciliation and never will until they have a system like S Africa. Think "getting togethe"r wiht religion whist holding to our own beliefs.

We have to show that we are different from religions and are quite capable of increasing happiness

@Mcflewster I get your point, especially since Humanism by default is typically understood to refer to Secular Humanism. I guess in part I felt the need to say what I did because the long winded statement of the op didn't hit on certain points strongly enough for my liking.

@Rossy92 I can understand the reason for the growth of SECULAR but now we need to talk - not fight with the religions whilst upholding our beliefs. Everyone needs to know why Humanism by itself is best for the future without religious wars

@Mcflewster I truly think that 's fine and dandy as a diplomatic tactic to foster progress in the right direction. However, while doing so, one should be aware of influences which could contaminate "true" Humanism into something which has aims that lose focus on the main plot, which is human flourishing and self determination in the only life and world we actually know exists.

@Rossy92 Humanism is clear to me as the good thought,s ideas and work that can be achieved by man ( and woman) alone without fantasy, worship and unprovable consequences. What other contaminating influences were you thinking of?

@Mcflewster Various religions have humanistic traditions, so that can cause tensions when dealing with issues of reproductive issues, end of life decisions, sexual orientation, education, gender, etc.

@Rossy92 They have not yet thought the whole idea of Humanism through yet being hampered by hanging on to fantasies. dialogue to put things right with the religions will take a long time but can be put right with Humility on both sides.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:638564
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.