Agnostic.com

10 3

Do (should) you boycott Amazon ? Why/not ?

Amazon driver was warned she’d be fired for returning with packages during a tornado

‘It won’t be viewed as for your own safety’

[theverge.com]

FearlessFly 9 Dec 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't have a problem with Amazon. I've never had any bad experiences with this company. My orders have always arrived on time. Say, the bathroom scale I recently ordered arrived when it had to arrive. But I think forcing a driver to deliver through a tornado (or any other such event) is unacceptable. There should be some laws against it. And as a USA citizen, the woman can always file a lawsuit against Amazon. Boycotting is not going to solve her problem. We only know what we read from the Internet. We don't know what actually happened there. Only the driver and Amazon do.

Do you know that in the RV/Camper world, Amazon is a highly-lauded employer?
Very few others will take on "transient" workers, and many fulfillment centers allow you to park your RV on their parking lots while you are employed there, worth at least $30/day.

It seems that the employees of Amazon. com (USA) suffer even poorer work conditions than the employees of Amazon UK. 😟

Ryo1 Level 8 Dec 18, 2021

Boycotting Amazon is easier said than done. [gadgetclock.com]

I manage it. Nor do I shop at WF or read the WP.

@rainmanjr Would you boycott Tesla as well?

@barjoe I would.

@rainmanjr What is WF?

My second last package was a sheet metal burner element packed with air pillow packing! The pillows punctured and the burner almost ate the carton!
My LAST package,! a container of chlorine pellets with no packing! Arrived with plastic container popped open in transit and the original 1 inch cylinders converted into spheres!

Because..

1. I do not want to drive to malls, stores
  2. Want to be able to compare prices online
  3. Make an instant purchase
  4. Purchase from a source I trust
  5. They take returns - no questions asked
  6. They redeem many rewards including from own gift rewards account and credit cards
  7. Prices are very competitive
  8. Easiest checkout I have seen in my life
  9. Delivery at my door
  10. 99% purchases have no sales tax
  11. Most have free delivery
  12. I admire what Amazon has brought to our door
  13. I don't mix social views with buying thing decisions, I never boycott any business if they offer value

Last but not least, I have hated the fake 70% to 80% off sale of big stores for over 30 years. No more.

All businesses make mistakes and run to make profit and they improve. I don't expect them to be righteous people. We should expect more and first from our political leaders that elect before going around blaming big businesses - that is what lousy people like Bernie Sanders do.

It's interesting to me that you say that you do not mix social views when it comes to purchases you make. When you financially support bad corporate citizens then you empower them to undermine the very rights that you blame political leaders for not protecting. Where do you suppose that these corporations get the money to lobby politicians and get them to undermine your civil rights after they get elected? To each their own.

@SnowyOwl

Buying products and services is based on value not on social views. There is nothing more to it.

If we care about social injustice, hold your political leaders responsible. Check who is taking campaign money from businesses that you hate including Amazon. Hating and boycotting businesses and running a stupid tirade on a personal level is a very stupid idea. Businesses are not in the business to fit into your personal views. They will go bankrupt if they did.

@St-Sinner Stupid is, as stupid does.

@SnowyOwl

Correct

And don't forget the PRICELESS reviews, so helpful!!!!!!!
I really do need a new lawnmower put on my porch, not struggling to get it in & out of my car (probably damaging both!)

We refuse to use Amazon, they are a parasitic business.

I do boycott Amazon.
I miss those wonderful book stores of my youth.
So I've never bought anything from them, and never will.
I also boycott Facebook, professional sports, Fox News, Discord, and Reddit.
There may be more, those come to mind.
I didn't list companies I can't afford anyway like Zales, but even if I could afford diamonds I wouldn't buy any from the monopolies like De Beers. They have so many diamonds warehoused that a five carrot diamond is probably only worth $5, but since they control the supply they sell it for thousands.
Diamonds are worthless and expensive.

Amazon partnered with China propaganda arm

[reuters.com]

What a sad joke.

No one should ever respond to a weather "warning" condition by saying it's "just" a warning; that's the opposite of what it means!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:639973
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.