Agnostic.com

5 14

SAD History Lesson
Back in the early 1400's, chess became super popular in a European community. There was a certain group of people in particular who were especially enthusiastic about the game. They would meet up to play chess with each other at every opportunity.
Eventually, this obsession with playing chess caught the attention of the church leaders who noticed that members of this group were skipping church to play chess instead.
This was seen as blasphemous, and they were ordered to stop immediately.
Unfortunately, the draw of the game proved too strong for these chess aficionados and after continuing to defy the church, they were arrested and tried for heresy.
They were found guilty and sentenced to be burned at the stake. This public execution, held in the town square, became the very first record of chess nuts roasting on an open fire.

ChurchLess 7 Dec 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There's another side we seldom hear about. I had a good friend co-worker (also named Jack) who was a 'little' bit odd. He loved chess and once a week his chess club would meet in a local bar to drink, smoke and play chess. I think the actually playing was incidental to the drinking, smoking and comradery.

A bit of a long walk but worth it.😅😂ðŸĪĢ

i’m a long time chest nut but haven’t been roasted, ...yet.

I knew there was a punchline but it still surprised me.

No wonder they always taste Burnt..ðŸ˜ģðŸĪŠðŸ˜‚

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:640479
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.