Agnostic.com

3 5

Joni Mitchell's Melancholy Christmas Song Get the Exquisite Video it Deserves.

“A Christmas song for people who are lonely at Christmas! We need a song like that," the folk-rock legend said of "River."

By Ron Dicker

Joni Mitchell’s “River,” a 50-year-old Christmastime song of lost love, finally has an official video to go with it.

And the folk-pop legend sounds like she couldn’t be happier.

"Christmas time,” Mitchell said in a statement at the end of the animated work, which was posted to her YouTube channel on Thursday. “A Christmas song for people who are lonely at Christmas! We need a song like that.”

Mitchell sings plaintively of wanting a river she “could skate away on” ― reflected in Skazka Studios’ black-and-white animation of a solitary figure gliding across the frozen water.

The watercolor style captures “the song’s lonesome mood while paying tribute to Mitchell’s prolific creativity as a painter,” according to her website.

A portrait also forms of a younger Mitchell, now a 78-year-old Kennedy Center honoree who’s perhaps on the verge of winning another in an impressive series of Grammys next month. Her compilation “Joni Mitchell Archives, Vol. 1: The Early Years (1963-1967)” has been nominated for best historical album.

“River” appeared on Mitchell’s 1971 album “Blue.”

The video is one melancholy ride, but worth it.

[huffpost.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Dec 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Thanks for this post. I am a big music fan, but somehow I never found my way to Joni, even though many of my friends did.

Beautiful video to match the song.

That is so touching, very fitting for me right now.

@HippieChick58

Me, too.

Due to the pandemic surge, I'm spending Christmas alone.

@LiterateHiker I will be joining my children and grands tomorrow. I am fortunate that they are all within 45 minutes from me. The oldest grand turns 5 tomorrow. The current youngest grand will be one on Sunday. And there is "a bun in the oven" for the summer. My kids grew up as Army brats, and rarely lived around family. They have all made a point of staying in the area, and I love being close to them and their babies. I love being Grammy.

Joni is and has always been my favorite female songwriter/performer. Blue is still considered one of the top albums of all time. Her tour with Pat Matheny and Jaco Pastorious was EPIC.

@phoenixone1

At age 19, I saw Joni Mitchell in an outdoor concert during her "Miles of Aisles" tour. She was backed by the wonderful jazz group L.A. Express. Wow!

I wore out a tape and two CDs of that album. Ordered a new one.

Joni has always been my favorite female songwriter/performer. She beautifully weaves together blues, jazz, and folk music in a soulful, moving way.

@LiterateHiker the double album...I have a good copy on vinyl. I also have a good cassette recorder so I just make a new cassette when it wears out.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:641267
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.