Agnostic.com

12 1

Van Gogh or Picasso

You are one of two artists, van Gogh or Picasso. Which one are you? Why?

• 14 votes
  • 3 votes
AstralSmoke 8 Dec 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Starry Night is on my wall. Well, a poster, not the original piece.

I did see the movie recently. starry night is my favorite painting. I think He painted what he saw. Beneath the course lines of his paintings I can see the flow of energy and life that assaulted and penetrated his senses. They move and undulate gracefully in my mind. I am pleased that he lived and recorded what he saw. He had a special gift that was to him tortuous but to the appreciative onlooker ethereal and beautiful.

I think I identify more with van Gogh's life.

Semi-related: had anyone seen the recent film "Loving Vincent"? It was the film made with tons of oil paintings to animate it. It was amazing, but very limited screenings (in my area, at least).

No, haven't seen that one. Sounds interesting though.

Depends: Audiologist? I'm going to go with Picasso. Plastic Surgeon... Well, that's a tough one.

Neither. Try Andrew Wyeth.

'Cos he got laid more often.

Not into hierarchies. Or best or better. I try to enjoy each for its own qualities or learn from all, if I can.

I chose Picasso because I like my ears and I love ballerinas. I have a story about a Picasso I once owned. Wanna hear it?

Okay, @MrLizard, here ya go.

There was a time in my early years when I made a few bucks here and there selling what I liked to call art. I did dry-brush paintings of WW I aircraft in action, and impressionist style oils. One of the galleries I dealt with in Huntington Beach, CA, maintained a rummage collection of bits and pieces of art from locals on a sort of grab bag shelf.

I was sorting through the shelf one day and was shocked to find an original Picasso. It was one of his sketches of line and minimal color of a ballerina putting on her shoe on what I can only call a paper bag. That sort of thing was typical of him. Price tag, 3 bucks. I bought it from the person on duty at the register who obviously didn't know art from hamburgers. She didn't bat an eye and I said nothing.

I had this piece in my collection for some three plus years in a simple frame. One day, I decided to change it to another frame I was waiting on, so I removed it from the frame and stacked it on my low bookcase.

So, during the time I was waiting for the new frame to be delivered, it sat there on the bookcase, carefully rolled up. We had scheduled a family barbecue and Mom was serving as the chef in charge. Picasso wound up being part of the stuff used to start the fire.

At first I was furious, but quickly realized that it was, after all, painted on a paper bag and how would she have known because the image was to the inside of the roll.

That day, Picasso went to heaven as a burnt offering. Moral of this story, don't leave paintings done on paper bags in the open for your mother to find.

@evidentialist Makes me want to laugh and cry at the same time.

Yep. I sure did. And to show how kind a person I am, I never mentioned it to her -- well, not more than five or six times.

Some of each, thanks .

Both were amazing artists, but Picasso became a money making machine in his own lifetime and his ego was massive. Van Gogh exemplifies the life of an artist so often you can see that emotion, pain and suffering in his work. So I voted Van Gogh.

Yes, I knew someone would understand. Picasso, who was a genius in assembling, who couldn't/didn't show raw emotion, and made a lot of money. Van Gogh, a troubled 'soul' who could only adequately communicate through painting and his art captured him. He died pennilessly. I voted van Gogh as well. I like Picasso, but for different reasons.

I like them both, but I like van Gogh's works a lot more, finding them to be more emotional and expressive.

am sure gogh was on mushrooms at the time which is why i can relate !

I think the halo thing is from digitalis??

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6416
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.