Agnostic.com

24 15

What do you say to religious proselytizers?

Knock, knock!

Today I opened the door to two smiling, dazzling handsome, tall young white men formally dressed. No masks. "Here we go," I thought ruefully.

"How are you doing?"

"I'm making soup."

"We can smell it."

"You can smell it?"

"Yes, it smells wonderful!"

"Why are you here?"

"We're from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints." (Mormons)

I grinned. "I'm an atheist! Goodbye!" I said brightly. Grabbed the door and swung it shut in their faces. For once, I regretted shoveling snow off the path to my door.

Wish I had told them to put on a mask. What the hell? Did they expect me to invite them inside during this raging pandemic?

LiterateHiker 9 Dec 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

“Come in. My soup needs some meat.”

no soup for you.

If I don't have time at the moment I ask them to come back at a time agreeable to us both, which they are always happy to do. Then when they come back, I engage them earnestly in conversation, trying to demonstrate to them that reasonable, loving, congenial people can exist without religious literalism. Sometimes the conversations go on for many sessions, over weeks and months, and sometimes (not always) mutual understanding is advanced. At minimum, I try not to reaffirm any preconceptions they may have had about non-believers, and show them there are other ways to think.

Sometimes, If I just don't feel I have the patience to deal with them, I just say no thanks. But under no circumstances will I ever be rude to them. They are kids. They are still learning what adulthood is all about. I try to model for them something I believe is more important than religion - human compassion.

skado Level 9 Dec 30, 2021

@skado

You are more patient than me.

Can I tell you about Satan

bobwjr Level 10 Dec 30, 2021

"Sorry, I'm not interested." or "See the sign? It says 'No soliciting'".

You go girl. That's something I would do and looking forward to doing it.

Please go talk to someone else, because I am not interested!

"Come inside. I will permit you to leave once you have provided falsifiable evidence to support your existence claim of your particular god."

@anglophone Nope. If they cross my threshold, my dog has permission to eat them. 😀

@Organist1 Do you have a Mastiff?

@dalefvictor Haha, no! He is a combination Brittany Spaniel, Australian Shepherd, Labrador Retriever and Dalmation. He's tall and very protective.

@Organist1 I picked Mastiff as they are large and two proselytizers would keep him fed for a while. I will bet he is really pretty also.

@dalefvictor Mastiffs do eat a lot! I had a Shar Pei once, which is like a mini mastiff, and fierce!

@Fernapple, @MizJ, @Lauren, @MsKathleen, @phoenixone1, @BitFlipper, @Julie808, @David1955, @Wangobango3, @wordywalt, @skado, @bobwjr, @HippieChick58, @xenoview, @yvilletom, @hankster, @racocn8, @JennyRad, @freedom41, @anglophone, @Organist1, @dalefvictor

Thank you for your hilarious and supportive replies. I appreciate all of you.

Yesterday I also posted this story on Facebook. My Facebook "friends" criticized me for being unkind. One woman said I should have given the young men hot soup in paper cups (as if I have paper cups).

"Kathleen, do you believe in kindness?" an attorney asked. All were offended by my "delight" and the words:

I grinned. "I'm an atheist! Goodbye!" I said brightly. Grabbed the door and swung it shut in their faces. For once, I regretted shoveling snow off the path to my door.

Stung, I deleted the post. I was joking about regretting shoveling snow.

I feel safer here. Never believed in an invisible being who resides somewhere beyond the clouds. All my life, Christians (including my cousin) pressured me to accept their imaginary deity into my heart. I stoutly refuse.

It would be interesting to know if that woman would have given paper cups of soup to atheists who came to her door imposing their views on her private space.

When my daughter was kindergarten-age, two of my religious nieces of a similar age came to spend the night with us. I was awakened early the next morning by my daughter bursting into my bedroom in tears, asking if it was true that Daddy was in hell because he wasn't "saved". It was the last time they came to play at our home, and it brought the realization that we would have to maintain a very strict line of division in our lives to keep the religious at bay, because their cruelty is so common as to be almost casually flippant.

I'm sorry these people crossed that line and hurt you, and I'm glad we have this place, where we can - for the most part - be ourselves.

You have posted this in multiple venues, so I assume you want feedback about the event. I'm getting that you appreciate feedback that is supportive of your position, but not if it differs from your view. Have I read this correctly? Or was it just the way they delivered the feedback? Were they rude about it?

@Lauren I heard that kind of cruelty in one of the two Catholic grade schools my father sent his five kids to. I’m glad he rarely spoke; he didn’’t reinforce that cruelty. My Methodist-raised mother also didn’t reinforce it.
In one of those schools, one nun subverted that cruelty by saying faith is a gift that some people don’t receive. Years later her words made my quitting easier.

@skado

I only posted this story on two websites: Agnostic and Facebook. Deleted the Facebook post this morning.

Christians on Facebook criticized me personally. They were highly offended. They said I was unkind, rude, insensitive, uncaring, etc.

"Those boys are someone's child," one woman wrote, completely missing the point. "It was freezing outside."

"I am sick of Christians trying to convert me," I replied. "There's a pandemic raging across America. I don't let strangers into my home, especially unmasked people."

@LiterateHiker
So are you open to feedback that differs from your view as long as it doesn't criticize you personally?

@skado

Exactly. Raising Claire, her dad and I learned how important it was criticize behavior, not her personally.

There's a big difference between calling her "lazy" and telling her what to do instead and why.

@LiterateHiker
I agree that name-calling and shaming are counterproductive. What do you think of your facebook friends’ perspective on your behavior, say, if they had delivered it in a less personally accusatory way?

Just objectively speaking, are there any possible valid philosophical perspectives behind their poor delivery?

Your ""Kathleen, do you believe in kindness?" an attorney asked" is deserving of a considered response. I know you for your kindness. However, any aggressive idiot that seeks to ram their genocidal maniac of a god down your throat and then has the temerity to try to bludge off you deserves to be sent away with a flea in the ear.

@skado

I feel fed up with people trying to convert me after a lifetime of negative experiences with it. As a kid and teen, friends' parents dragged me to their churches. I felt terrified of people screaming, falling down and speaking in tongues. At times, I ran outside and waited for it to end. This continued to age 15, when I learned to stand up for myself.

Amusing highlights and low points:

1. Ten years ago, my dear cousin Sarah flew from Ohio to spend a week with me in July. A Jehovah's Witness, Sarah spent the week pushing religious tracts on me, trying to convert me. I took her on an expensive, guided float trip running rapids in Wenatchee River. She loved it. Took her hiking. I kept insisting I'm an atheist. Since then, Sarah has refused to speak to me. She cut me off. I feel sad.

2. Through online dating, two men met me to try to convert me. Initially they hid they were pastors. "Martin Luther said there are no atheists!" one said triumphantly, as if that settled the matter. I laughed and stood up. "I don't care what a Catholic monk said over 400 years ago. Thanks for lunch. I'm leaving. I don't want to argue with you."

3. Ken, a 66-year-old psychologist from Portland, Oregon. His first message:

I really like your playful, creative, giving being. You're more "spiritual" than most religious people. I'm curious how an "atheist" can live that way.

After two Skype sessions, I sent Ken this kiss-off message:

Ken,
I do not want to spend another minute being grilled by you about why I am an atheist, religion and spirituality.

Yesterday a man I used to date, Rich, dropped by as I was kneading four loaves of bread. With a master degree, Rich is highly intelligent and an atheist. Unlike you, Rich immediately saw the insult in your first message.

I told Rich you could not understand how I can have loving kindness without attending church and believing in a god. "I get asked that by Christians all the time," Rich replied.

I would never corner Christians and demand that they explain themselves. Yet you and your compatriots think this is acceptable behavior. "I enjoyed the couple of conversations we had," you wrote. It was not fun for me.

Christians who don't know me often demand, as you did, that I explain:

1. Why I am an atheist.
  2. How the universe began (as if being an atheist automatically makes me an astrophysicist). "Nobody knows," I reply. "Science is advancing every year."
  3. What happens when people die. "Nobody knows," I reply.
  4. What is "spirituality."

You may think your questions were unique. They were not. Rich and I both find being grilled by Christians rude and tiresome.

I suggest you see a therapist to discuss your bias against atheists.

Yes, I am perfectly capable of "agreeing to disagree." How else do you think I live peacefully in an area dominated by Republicans and Christians?

Kathleen

@anglophone

Thank you.

@LiterateHiker
Thanks for sharing those details. It helps me understand your position better. I can see now why you have no interest in examining it philosophically, which I also might not if I had lived through what you endured as a child. My experience in the Baptist church had a few uncomfortable moments, but nothing as terrifying as I can imagine that was for you.

@yvilletom I'm sorry you had to experience that, but very glad you didn't suffer it from your parents.

I was schooled by nuns as well (and worked for the auxiliary bishop) and the experiences added to my bitterness against the Catholic church. When in the second grade, my cousin's mother divorced and had their names legally changed to her maiden name. She was the only child of divorce in the elementary school. The nuns were frequently vicious in their attacks on a mere child, and refused to allow her to use her legal name. As horrid as all that is, the most horrendous part to me is that everyone accepted that it was happening, whereas I would be in there kicking proverbial ass on behalf of my child.

@Lauren

Thank you, Lauren. I'm sorry you went through that, as well.

My parents were non-religious. They only showed up at church for Christmas and Easter.

"I decided I'm an atheist," I told Mom at 13. "That's fine, honey," she replied. "What do you want for dinner?"

With Irish parents, Mom was raised Catholic and forced to go to Catholic schools through university.

"I became an atheist in nursing school when I realized a woman cannot be turned into salt," Mom said and laughed. I was 35. This was the first time I heard it.

@LiterateHiker

Thank you. I admit I'm still trying to release some of the anger I feel for those early years, particularly the verbal abuse I suffered from the bishop.

It's wild that you were 35 before finding out your mother was an atheist! I'm glad your parents were resistant to religion, and that they allowed you the freedom to decide your beliefs on your own. It was my goal to do that with my daughter, and I'm relieved that she and my faux daughters are all firm atheists. I think it makes them stronger and less likely to be subjugated by anyone.

Glad I live in a condo building of mostly visitors, so we don't get random door knockers. When I lived in a house, I would answer the door and reply that I'm a firm atheist and quite happy in my life. They would go on to the next house.

Now that my ex-husband has converted to Mormonism, I wonder if he has to do the door knocking thing. It's hard to imagine, since he was so anti-religious when we were married. If he knocks on your door, feel free to give him a hard time, haha!

I figure if they are intent on bothering people in their homes, they know full well they will have the door slammed in their faces frequently. Every door slammed likely makes their belief stronger. I don't know. I guess that's why I try to be nice, but firm.

I've researched a lot of religions, and my conclusion is the best "religion" is just to learn as much as we can about this world and to be nice and respectful to others, well unless they tick me off. 😉

I live in a house with a split entry foyer. Main living area is up a flight of stairs from the front door, basement and garage are on the lower level. Everyone who knows me knows not to come over unannounced. So when the doorbell rings and I'm not expecting someone I generally blow it off. And as I WFH and am usually on a phone call, during the day I generally ignore the doorbell anyway. If I'm not working I might look out the window to see who is at the door, and if I don't know them I generally ignore them anyway, unless I open the window to tell them to get off my porch. I don't have time and energy for religious kooks or salespersons. One of the neighbors came over a few weeks ago, and I couldn't/didn't answer the door. He had figured out why the plants in one part of our adjoining yards kept dying. Since I wasn't available to give or deny permission to fix it, he decided it was easier to get permission 🙂 He had some work done and told me about it when he saw me come out. He did good! I probably should give them my phone number, not that I'd have been able to answer the phone.

I tell them not interested, I'm a non believer.

That sounds a bit wishy washy, if you don't mind me saying. You might want to steroid that up a bit. 🙂

@David1955 I do things my way, and you do things your way.

I say "what makes you think my religion is any business of yours?"

A couple of such people once came to my door with their Bibles in hand, and asked, "may we come in?"
I simply answered, No." and shut the door.

In the UK we get more of the JWs, and at this time they have a, "Do not enter the house, only stand on the door step. " policy. Presumably, so they can't be corrupted.

I wish we had a much colder climate, I would keep the talking forever.

I tell them that they are trespassing as there is a "No Soliciting" sign as you enter this neighborhood and if they don't leave I am calling the police.

MizJ Level 8 Dec 31, 2021

Now that you mention it, I haven't had any in quite a long time. I have a no soliciting sign which pre-Covid was sometimes ignored, but nothing since. However, they've taken to writing me letters via USPS. I've received three in the past 18 months, and so they don't hear anything I may say to them.

Nothing.

You know, I was just thinking recently, and your post reminded me of it, that since the pandemic began there has not been one god botherer at my door. Not one. Nearly 2 years. One good thing about the pandemic -- the only good thing I can think of. Usually I just say I'm an atheist and have they read any good Richard Dawkins books lately? This is intentional. If you say you are an agnostic, they still think there might be some hope for you. If you say you are an atheist, then your situation is bleak, but just maybe they can reach you (and scam you). But mention Richard Dawkins and they know all hope is lost and run away like frightened rabbits. His name is more fearful to them than Satan.

"This household does not Buy Bull. Good day to you both."

2 women once showed up at a friends door with bibles in hand. Joe politley told them that "my religion is like my sex life, none of your business" . Nedless to say they never returned.

I tell them whatever it takes to get them to leave without telling them off. I have at tines admitted I was atheist, other times claimed to be Jewish, once claimed I had to go bail someone out of jail (lie).

"What would you do for a Klondike Bar?"...😂

I think you were too kind to them. It was rude of them to come to your door without masks during the COVID surge. You should have chewed them out for spreading the virus.

Thank you, Robert. I appreciate your supportive feedback. You're right.

After the people on Facebook were so critical. Saying I was "unkind" and should have fed them soup.

Masked vs Unmasked 😁

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:642281
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.