Agnostic.com

7 9

Does ice climbing sound like fun?

I met Robert Rittenhouse, Ph.D. when I taught at Central Washington University. He's a math professor.

The second photo shows him climbing in the Stuart Range near me. He calls the first photo "evening ice at Banks Lake." In his 70s, he's still going strong.

I could never do it. Scares me. Don't have the hand strength. My base thumb joints are going to be replaced.

Amazing!

LiterateHiker 9 Jan 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Ice climbing is fun, it does not require the hand strength that rock climbing does. You just hold on to your ice tools and your wrists are in loops.

Wow

bobwjr Level 10 Jan 20, 2022

hammock climbing is much more my endeavor. I hope it makes him happy tho. 🙂

I'll wait at the bottom, far enough back nothing can fall on me. I'll keep the beer cold and shout encouragement occasionally!

The last time I had the opportunity to ice climb, it was on a flow that was about six hundred feet high. I started climbing and lost my footing on the first step, falling and scraping my face on the ice. It was cold. I then tried to stand up, slid and fell again, this time taking some time to awaken from the concussion. When I awoke there was a beautiful woman asking how I was doing. I tried to tell her I was alright, but obviously I was not. I asked her if she wanted to share a cup of coffee, she said "No!" I was dreaming. I have never tried to ice climb as the events just told would have been what happens on a good day. Hope you laugh at this and have a good day. Ice climbing is hard work and dangerous, be careful and have many friends come along just encase.

Interesting, I was just talking with my brother in law just this evening, who’s an experienced mountaineer that has climbed all of the tallest peaks on every continent. He was telling me his favorite climbs is ice climbing,

If you have a death wish and no other reason to live.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:646169
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.