Agnostic.com

17 8

Do you like long posts?

My two cents are that very long posts are tough to respond to in a concerted fashion, and you might raise very interesting points that get ignored. But if you spreaaaaad out the goodness, then we can all have a number of tasty meals.

But if you really want to write that 3-page post, by all means, go for it!

What is your opinion?

• 24 votes
  • 6 votes
  • 19 votes
tsjames 7 Dec 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

LOL I like your style Leigh.

If they have a point to be made, sure. But..... it would be really REALLY nice if people with long posts would use paragraphs. One long drawn out paragraph is difficult for me to read, and because of that I usually don't.

As my grad advisor said: be specific, not prolific.

I get annoyed with people who post extremely long-winded thoughts. It seems self-indulgent and narcissistic IMHO.

yes get to the point

I like shorter to the point posts, but, a good story is not dependant on length and is always worth reading.

Appropriate length depends on content for me. If something is long simply for the sake of being long, then I'm not going to care for it, or even read the whole thing. Some things need the length to convey the entire story.

d_day Level 7 Dec 3, 2017

I think I am entering an ADHD phase. Or is it that life is getting faster and faster that I cannot spend too much time on one topic?

If someone’s sufficiently wound up, I’ll respect their desire to share … but sometime’s there’s a limit..

Varn Level 8 Dec 3, 2017

I don't think longer posts are better. But I am one of the worst offenders, because I want to be more precise than concise. ...at least, that's my claimed excuse. 😉 I also won't go near Twitter. Guess why.

I have my moments.

Short and sweet works best for me.
My eyes start to bug trying to read a wall of text.

I suppose it depends on how tall I'm trying to make the fence.

Also, how deep you're willing to dig the hole. 😛

Do you know the joke about the engineers and the mathematicians? There were a couple of engineers and a couple of mathematicians trying to figure out how tall the flagpole was. They decided that they'd have to dig it up. Once they had it dug up and laying on the ground the mathematicians measured it. 21' long was their measurement. One engineer said to the other engineer, "Just like a mathematician to measure the wrong direction."

Although I am one who appreciates economy of word and likes to be succinct in my own posts, I am always interested (okay, most of the time) in what others have to say and it doesn't matter much how they have to say it. Long. Short. In between. It's all fine.

My comments get long. I probably bore the hell out of people...lol.

Yawn.

lol I'm right there with you!

Yawn? Thanks brother...lol

A forum is better gor short blocks
of text, given how they are laid out. For long treatises, I recommend blogging.

Zster Level 8 Dec 3, 2017

I think it depends on the subject matter. Some posts make several points that could easily be made into separate posts, while others are intricate and nuanced and make a bigger point with several supporting facets.

My attention span isn't long. So I tend to like shorter posts. Even on FB. I'm hardly on there anymore. I spend more time here, at work, or at the gym.

Long posts don't matter to me as long as what I'm reading is interesting.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6480
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.