Agnostic.com

11 26

LINK Norway will no longer fund the Jehovah's Witnesses

In a move that’s both long overdue and shocking, the Norwegian government said it would no longer provide funding to the Jehovah’s Witnesses because of the religious sect’s cult-like practices.

Norway will no longer fund the Jehovah's Witnesses
A government official cited the Witnesses' exclusionary policies as justification for denying them state aid (via Shutterstock)
Reading Time: 6 minutes

In a move that’s both long overdue and shocking, the Norwegian government said it would no longer provide funding to the Jehovah’s Witnesses because of the religious sect’s cult-like practices.
Norway’s odd relationship with religion

Norway, which has a national Church but no longer has a national religion, is one of those countries where religion is literally supported by taxpayers; the more members you have, the more money your preferred religious (or Humanist) organization receives. Any “religious” group with 50 registered members are allowed to apply for state subsidies, and more than 800 groups receive that kind of funding.

The law is very open regarding the kinds of religious or non-religious groups that can receive that money. However there are some lines in the sand:

snytiger6 9 Jan 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Religious groups secured tax exhemption & benefits as at one time they performed many services governments did not. Hospitals, mental asylums, food banks, orphanages, burials, funerals, etc. What has Scientology done for them lately. Such absurdities.

Crazee that they ever did

twill Level 7 Feb 1, 2022

fascinating i had no idea that norway was set up like this vis a vis religion

kmaz Level 7 Feb 1, 2022

Interesting, though we do give tax benefits

I'm sure they will knock some other countries door! 🙂

If once they decided this was good, then OK, but if they now do not want to do this it is even better. No religion should be funded by the state, except for the Vatican.

Why should th State support the Vatican?

@Alienbeing Vatican is a state

@Canndue I know that. So who are you saying should support the State?

@Alienbeing ??? Sorry, think we have a miscommunication going on…

@Canndue I agree. Can you clarify?

Are you saying that the Vatican is funded by Catholic Church members? If so, fine, if not what are you saying?

@Alienbeing yes, I was basically agreeing with you

@Alienbeing The pope is the head of the catholic church, so I was thinking that was a state that was headed by a religious leader.

There are worse cults. The JWs are required to do good deeds. Visiting people may be considered one of those deeds. It is the proselytizing that bugs me. Stay away from that & we are fine. So don't try it.

I think that it is the banishing thing that qualifies them as a cult.

Even family members are never again supposed to speak with someone if they leave the flock.

Never.

@BufftonBeotch SIL and niece going through that now, though they meet on the sly…

Support them? Rather than just let them carry on not paying taxes as churches do in the US?
That's crazy.

Still a long way to go…….though a good start.

Good news. Now if they would only stop funding all religions.

There was a small time before I left religion that I considered joining the j wits. Glad I avoided that harmful mistake.

Glad your safe 😉

Good. Some countries won't recognize them as a religion, much less fund them.

They used to be considered a cult here as well…

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:648253
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.