Agnostic.com

9 11

No internet yesterday. Felt like a hopeless Luddite.

Yesterday afternoon and evening, my computer internet connection was repeatedly rejected. No internet.

Windows Diagnostics blew my mind: "A firewall in your computer is blocking the internet connection" and later, "Your computer is connected to the Oxford Suites internet" where I stayed last week.

Called LocalTel internet provider tech support. They are usually great. Instead I got a useless doofus who advised me to call the computer manufacturer. Felt like a Luddite lacking techspeak. Doofus said he will leave a note for his supervisor who will call me back today. So far no call.

Resigned myself to buying a new laptop. Backed up photos, documents, videos and music on an HP SimpleSave device. That took forever.

Agonized about the cost, reduced staff at Office Depot, difficulty of picking out a laptop, being pressured by employees to buy the biggest, most expensive one, difficulty of setting up a "favorites" bar on a new, updated computer, etc. Woke up worrying about it.

As usual, I had shut down the laptop before bed. This morning, I hesitantly turned it on. VOILA! It works. Internet connection is strong again.

This reminds me of advice from Samsung Smart TV tech support. When TV doesn't work:

1. Shutdown the router and TV (or computer);
  2. Wait 30 seconds.
  3. Restart.

So, I wrote the above instructions next to the LocalTel phone number. Do this FIRST.

LiterateHiker 9 Feb 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When the tech tells you to call the computer manufacturer it means he does not know. He has no clue. The main 3 step process that you ended up using normally will solve the problem . The reason is that the computer searches for a usable connection and what it finds is what you had used before. A simple reboot solves problems and is often needed for a program or service to start working.

I'm not a computer tech and I am self taught. What I hate is having this same type of problem and having a smartass around trying to change (or get me to change) settings. All they will do is screw it up. Always reboot. My computer shows wifi connections that sometimes get changed and if you know the main one a single click will get you back if a reboot does not.

@19dacar52

Hilarious and apt. Love it! Thanks for the belly laugh.

@LiterateHiker You're welcome. As soon as I read your post I thought about this clip. I love using the line, "Have you tried forcing an unexpected reboot?"

Its a good idea to buy a new computer before the old one dies, and then keep the whole of the old one as an extra backup/spare for when/if the new one breaks down. If they stop sending out updates for the old system that does not matter, just delete any sensitive files/passwords etc. and don't use it for your bank account etc. while the new one is repaired or replaced.

Reboot usually helps

Use it all day long. I read and sign petitions. Also play games on my computer

Isn't it odd that thirty years ago, we barely knew what the Internet was.And now, we feel 'disconnected' without it? I know I do!

@davknight

Yes, I felt disconnected and could not read the news.

Simply restarting a computer will fix a lot of issues and should be the first thing to do when strange things happen.

@jlynn37

Good advice. Thanks.

Two of three kids and their partners are IT people, and their dad was also. The mantra is: When all else fails REBOOT. In my current job I work from home. There are days that the connections are strong and we are rolling well, and other days the internet drops out, and other days that we just don't know what gremlin has hit the system. We are advised before calling tech support to 1: clear cache and cookies, 2: switch browsers, and if all else fails then 3: reboot. Then you can call tech support. Today was a double reboot day, and still not everything was working right. I keep a Google speaker in the living room with a radio station playing. If I can still hear that, it isn't my internet that is causing problems. We can no longer switch browsers, one of our systems works only on Edge. We had one for a while that only worked on IE. It is cold in Omaha today and my internet has been dropping off and on all evening. It was strong until about 5. And yes, this morning I rebooted the modem and router, just in case. I am thinking I am going to move the modem and router to a more central location in the house in the near future. Sometimes on the other side of the house the reception is less steady. I am waiting for a day off with not much else to do to move it because it is going to take some gymnastics to get it where I want it to go, and I don't want any pressure of time to get it up and running. I might have to walk away for a few.

Depending on the type of connection and time of day the online speeds fluctuate with the volume of online traffic.

@HippieChick58

Thanks for your reply. You made me feel better.

You remind me of Karen, my favorite hiking partner. Her late husband was a doctor. They lived in a big, beautiful house with great views of the Enchantments and Cascade Mountains. In expensive Eagle Rock subdivision high on a hill. I call it "Ego Rock."

Yet they didn't have decent internet in the house. Couldn't get it. They were told to pay for a satellite connection. Karen had to walk down the driveway to use her Iphone.

Wifi wall plugs boost the internet signal throughout the house. Wifi signals tend to drop at around 10 meters.

@ASTRALMAX That tells me that I should be OK, I don't have a big house. It isn't more than 30 feet from the modem/router to the work computer, however the bedroom is pushing it. This confirms that I need to move the router/modem to a more central location. It also confirms that my ex was a horse's a** keeping the modem/router in the basement near his computer but not centrally located in the house for access from the kid's bedrooms and where I had my work room. His status has been confirmed many times, and mostly water under the bridge now.

@HippieChick58 The following tech articles lists things that can block or attentuate wifi signals.
[eyenetworks.no]

During an installation of Win 10 generic network card drivers are installed, however, it is alway best to go to the website of the network card manufacturer and download the latest network card drivers. Windows does not proivide the latest drivers for your netword card.

Even if you go to the Device Manager and and open it and right click to update driver, Win 10 will give you an option to seach online or on your pc. If you search online Win 10 will report that you have the latest drivers for your network card, I take that with a pinch of salt because it is simply referring to their generic driver database and not the card manufacturer.

@ASTRALMAX Bluetooth is likely a problem, hundreds of Bluetooth devices in my area. My phone connects to my hearing aids via Bluetooth, and I get all my work phone calls to my phone. Bluetooth is unavoidable in my neighborhood. The TV is off, I can't remember the last time I turned it on. That is a good article. Thanks!!

@HippieChick58 The following tech article about Bluetooth and Wifi is worth a read. 🙂

[itigic.com]

@ASTRALMAX Awesome, thanks!! I forgot about all the Google devices in my house, and never even thought about their contribution. I keep a google speaker with radio going in the Living room during the day. I can hear it from the office/bedroom. If the speaker is quiet I know the Wifi might be down. Definitely gotta move that router/modem. BTW, how long do routers/modems last. I don't know how long I've had mine, but it was pre pandemic for sure.

@HippieChick58 The is nothing written in stone about long a router will last , however, usally about 4 - 5 years. Also, location is important, that is, do not put the router near or on top of a heat source because electronic devices slow down when they become hot.

The basic rule about computers and routers is that they fucntion best and run faster when cool.

@ASTRALMAX currently mine is where it gets good air circulation, so it stays about as warm or cool as I am. Where I move it to will depend on where the cable outlet is, and the length of the cable that I have. I have no idea how long I have had this modem, at least 2 years, and I'm pretty sure it is longer. Thank you for all the tech support 🙂

Its usually a good idea to reboot your router once a month as it clears the memory. Depending on how your ISP configures their DHCP Servers it may assign you a new IP Address.

@ASTRALMAX

Your first sentence makes sense. Thank you.

However, then you launched into techspeak. Me no speakee. What the hell is a DHCP?

@LiterateHiker [infoblox.com]
Once a week before I go to bed I switch off the router

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:648634
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.