Agnostic.com

1 1

LINK Study provides first evidence of a causal link between perceived moral division and support for authoritarian leaders

It's not like this isn't a bit obvious, but people seem to increasingly support leaders that are extremists for their positions.

I personally wonder if it's an effect of the accelerating paces of changes in our society today. Things change so rapidly that people have become unwilling to work gradually toward goals. They think things need to change right now so they can keep up.
Sometimes I fear they could be right.

From the link

“Our research is the first that provides evidence of the causal links between perceived moral division in society and the desire to elect extreme leaders as a potential solution,” Crimston told PsyPost. “Basically, when we think opposing groups in society hold incompatible moral views and that society was facing a battle of ‘good versus evil,’ we are more likely to think that society is breaking down. In turn, we are more likely to see extreme authoritarian leaders as a potential solution. So, we see an increased desire to elect these extreme leaders, who chances are, will ultimately seek to divide us even further.”

RichCC 8 Feb 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That makes sense. Possibly both sides should stop presenting things as good v evil? Maybe everything isn't existential and, even if it is, putting it in such terms leads to extremism? Maybe our pathetic nation has just become supremely pathetic and no longer has the right stuff to survive against Communism? Whatever the cause I'd have to say, at this moment, that we're not looking strong but POTUS Joe is doing a great job with what he has. Throw him out for a yahoo with little foreign affairs knowledge and we will go down the drain like a dead spider.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:649195
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.