Agnostic.com

36 14

We're going to discuss the pragmatics of death. Forgive me if this post is a bit morbid.

Everyone has to deal with death sooner or later. When I die, I intend to be cremated for scattering. I recently discovered there's such a thing as aquamation -- cremation in water rather than fire. Sounds good, right? There's a problem I'm having a hard time getting past.

Water cremation takes place in a tank that's filled 3/4 with water to which an alkalai solution is added. The water is brought to a boil for three hours and the alkalai dissolves all the soft tissue and internal organs leaving only the bleached white bones which are pulverized and returned to the family for scattering or interment or whatever.

My problem is what becomes of the rest of the body. It dissolves into a honey colored sludge that is then, well, quite bluntly flushed into the municipal sewage system. You're quite literally flushed down the toilet. That's the part that;s vexing me. It's such an ignominious fate. If they did anything else I'd be okay with it but I don't want my sludge mixing with all...that. UGH!

Knowing this, would anyone considering cremation opt for this alternative?

Sgt_Spanky 8 Feb 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments (26 - 36)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'll take the fire, thank you.
Then they can flush me down the toilet.

I'm guessing that based upon my present life expectancy and the current direction our civilization is heading in, a cardboard box to cover my empty husk while the rats consume it is going to be pretty classy.
As for the municipal sewer taking your sludge, it's no different than the sludge you have been flushing down the toilet your whole life, just a bigger dump.

No way are my remains being liquified and flushed down sewers, Cremation for me thank you.

When you are dead, you're dead. Tell yourself you are lying in state surrounded by flowers until the whole United States has had the chance to mourn your untimely passing.

Because that is REALLY what is going to happen, and you won't know the difference, will you?

Why is aquamation sent to the sewer ignominious? You're dead, and you didn't add to the CO2 in the atmosphere by cremation. I want to be aquimated, but there are no facilities within 200 miles.

If you have no preference, fine. I would prefer my remains be handled as something other than sewage. Watch the video above to see what I've decided I want done.

@Sgt_Spanky
That is the point I was trying to make. Your "remains" are sewage, in the bluntest terms. Sorry you have feelings for them, but you shouldn't. You'll be dead.

First time I heard of such thing. Well, when I'm dead I won't care at all. It seems to me it's better being done the old fashioned way.

The wooden box. The standing watch. The wake and the family gathering.

I just can't get into people spending thousands of dollars on a funeral because it was something expected. Embalming?
It is basically turning a person plastic.

I used to joke with people that if I ever found out I was terminal I would pick someone I didn't like and frame them for my murder.
Then I read about someone trying and failing exactly that in South America somewhere.
It doesn't seem so clever now. Ha, ha.

As for my remains... Funerals are for the living. I'm pretty sure I won't care one way or another. People can do whatever they want.

Edit

I also used to think about donating my body for transplant or science but these days I doubt anyone would be interested. I even have a 'lifetime deferment' so they won't even take my blood or platelets any more.😡

Can’t be any shittier than the world I’m in now……slush me baby!?! 🤠

I think about death quite a lot actually. At least once a week. Not necessarily in a morbid way nor in a suicidal way.

Death doesn't scare me but it does make me sad. Chances are that I will not get a chance to say good-bye to many people. There are a few people I only know online who will likely never know why I disappeared.

Also, death makes me sad simply for the loss. Each person's mind is unique with their lifetime of memories, dreams, ideas, and thoughts... which are all completely erased forever when they die. That seems so unfair to me.

The loss of death was probably one of the very few things that made me keep some small amount of faith in religion years ago. The idea that once death happens we are gone bothers me. Every day in the world countless people die and their deaths go completely unnoticed as if they never really mattered. There's no afterlife so once they're gone they're gone completely. Somehow that doesn't seem fair.

You remain alive in the memory of all those who know and love you. 🙂 Those whom you knew remain alive in your memories. I daresay the fear of death stems from the realization that that which we refer to as 'I' 'Me' 'My' and 'Mine' ceases to exist as it does under general anaesthetic with the only difference being the most people regain consciousness from anaesthesia..So, live life to the max in your own unique way. Everybody's life and death mattered to all those who personally knew the deceased.

@ASTRALMAX Some talk of the three deaths: actual death of the body; placement into the grave; and being forgotten.

@Beowulfsfriend Quite pertinent, I cannot think of anybody I knew who is deceased that I have forgotten. Do we ever really forget anybody we knew, alive or deceased?

I just stumbled upon your post, and I totally get where you're coming from. Dealing with death is never easy, and it's natural to think about our own funerals and final resting places. Water cremation does sound intriguing, but the idea of being flushed down the drain doesn't sit well with me, either. I'd prefer something more meaningful.
Recently, I was browsing online and came across Monuments for Green Hill Memorial Gardens. They offer beautiful options for memorializing loved ones and could be a perfect final resting place. It's comforting to know there are alternatives that align with our wishes and provide a dignified farewell. Wishing you all the best as you navigate these tough decisions.

Nope. It seems like that would cause issues with the water table eventually.

My late partner signed up for the willed body program and her body went to the local University for medical research. Later she was cremated and the ashes could have gone into a common ground but I requested them to be returned to me. I signed up for the same program. No muss no fuss.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:649568
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.