Agnostic.com

11 19

Washington State Senate OKs ban on sales of gun ammunition magazines with more than 10 rounds.

Previously with legislative bills for gun safety, hundreds of Republicans protested at the state Capital brandishing assault rifles and long guns. Now debates and hearings are on Zoom for safety. This took the wind out of gun nuts' sails. Haha!

Republicans argued that restricting gun ammunition magazines would make citizens less safe. That doesn't make sense. Previously Republicans derailed Democrat's attempts to reduce mass shootings.

With a Democrat majority in the state Senate and House of Representatives, and a Democrat governor, the bill has a good chance of passing. When it becomes law, penalties include fines in the hundred thousands and a year in jail.

By Joseph O’Sullivan
Seattle Times staff reporter, February 2022

The Washington state Senate voted late Wednesday to ban the manufacture, distribution and sale of firearm magazines that hold more than ten rounds of ammunition.

If the bill passes the House and becomes law, the ban would limit not just magazines for rifles that hold twenty or thirty rounds, but for a host of semiautomatic pistols, which often carry more than ten rounds.

For years, restrictions on firearm magazines have been a top priority for many Democrats and advocates of stricter gun regulations. Conservatives and gun-rights advocates have meanwhile assailed such laws as not effective and an infringement on the Second Amendment.

In a floor speech urging passage, bill sponsor Sen. Marko Liias, D-Everett, invoked the summer Mukilteo shooting where a gunman killed three people and injured another, and stopped shooting after running out of ammunition six years ago.

"On that day, I vowed to myself and to my community that I would do everything in my power to ensure that no family has to go through what our community went through,” Liias said. “This measure will make Washington a safer place.”

The second photo shows Republican lawmaker's Christmas cards last year.

LiterateHiker 9 Feb 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Just received this announcement from Alliance to stop gun violence: "What a week! First, the Washington Senate passed SB 5078 to restrict high-capacity magazines! Then, late last night the Washington House passed HB 1705 to close the ghost guns loophole. We are at the halfway point of this short, legislative session and this is just the momentum we need to carry these priority policies across the finish line."

"Ghost guns are DIY firearms, assembled at home from readily accessible parts that can be bought with no background check. In 2019, Washington lawmakers passed a bill to prohibit undetectable firearms. But current law does not address homemade, unserialized guns, leaving a deadly loophole in our background check system."

That's been in all the news here lately. I support a couple of gun restriction groups and one, The Alliance for gun responsibility, have touted this a a sign we have had enough carnage. Also mentioned was the crashing membership and rising litigation costs for the NRA. They are spending more time crawling of the hole they are in and not able to push their murderous crap.

Firstly I'll say I like guns, I used to own guns (muskets). However, why should an individual in a modern country/nation state need to have at hand a modern assault rifle?
These are weapons designed to kill people and if capable of automatic fire, can dump around ten rounds every second. This could be seen as a supportive argument for larger magazine capacity, but the point is civilian use. Do you need to mow down a duck with a firestorm of 5.56mm full metal jacket ball ammunition? No is the answer.
Now, if like Switzerland the USA had a 'Well Regulated Militia' for defence of their State, then fine. Let them be able to own and use Assault Weapons. Out with this, perhaps large magazine weapons must have their magazine held at a range, or else a Federal license required for the ownership of magazines.
The background problewm lays with America's Second Amendment where the right to bear arms shall not be infringed. Limit this to muskets, rifle-muskets and shotguns with a maximum magazine capacity.

We have never allowed automatics in the UK and even revolvers and semi-automatics are virtually banded, while the law requires that guns must be licensed and kept at all times in locked safes, (which have to be examined and approved by the police, ) when the guns are not openly in hand. That to continue to hold a license you must prove a genuine use, like hunting, be at least eighteen and buy ammunition regularly to prove that you are still active. And guess what ? We have very healthy hunting and marksmanship subcultures.

I can hear my gun lovin' neighbor now, she completely loathes the Dems in the state, especially the governor.

Good, let them have a taste of how we have been feeling for years. To their puny minds the only way to beat us libtards is to vote fascist.

@JackPedigo Glad you figured out what I meant, christ! I'm a lousy proofreader😁.
Isn't that just the craziest?!?!? Go full fascist just to own the libs? Willing to give up democracy for power. They can not see they themselves are the little people the oligarchs/authoritarians loathe and exploit for their own gain.

I think they should ban every auto loading weapon, only have revolvers and bolt action rifles.

@Robert_2001

I agree.

Sometimes I am so sad that I ever left Washington State.

Where did you live in WA State? I wish I had stayed on the west side of the Cascades. Damn republicans around here are a pain. The college helps but the Black and Asian kids get harassed when they work at the grocery stores in town.

@silverotter11

I live in Wenatchee, WA. Here's my take on single Wenatchee guys:

If I wanted a fat, ignorant, Republican, good ol boy, fisherman and hunter who loves his Harley, snowmobile and chainsaw, I'd be ALL SET.

@LiterateHiker You just described most of the single women here in the Ozarks 🤣🤣🤣

@silverotter11 I lived in Tacoma for a year, then moved to Bothell for another year, and finally to Snohomish/Mill Creek area, the Gold Creek neighborhood. We lived there for about 5 years, until 1999.

@HippieChick58 I had a condo in Bothell from 1991-1996. It was on the creek at the south end of town. Sure wish I still had it. Mostly tho I live all over the Seattle area, Greenwood, Ravenna, Wedgewood, Beacon Hill, Capitol Hill.

@LiterateHiker Ellensburg is pretty much the same. Nice looking college guys but they are a tad young for me as far as dating. They really don't like a mouthy woman who takes no BS. These jerks can really shine in parking lots! Rude and ignorant.

@silverotter11

Selfish conservative jerks refuse to wear a mask in stores. It's appalling.

What's up with old guys with long white hair and scraggly beards? Yuck.

@LiterateHiker I had one jerk with out a mask on in the store actually get in my personal space. I can really express myself via my eyes. One look and he backed off.
I told one guy that was wearing a mask below the nose "that's like using a condom with the tip cut off." He yanked his mask down below his chin and smirked. I looked him in the eye and said, "Yeah, I have days when when I can be a total ass hole too."

@silverotter11

A year ago, I gave up asking people to pull up their masks. "Fuck YOU!" they replied.

One woman followed me in a grocery store to berate me. "My husband was eating peanuts! How dare you ask him to pull up his mask! It's none of your business!"

Why are they so defensive and angry?

Kind people stand out. "I need something in this aisle," I said at Fred Meyer. "But I don't want to be near you with your mask down."

"Sorry," he said, pulling up his mask. Give that man a Nobel Peace Prize.

@LiterateHiker I have gotten good at sayin' FUCK you with my eyes! Learned it from my mom - hahahahaBoy did she have "the look" ! Most of the time I just go about my business and ignore them. I don't understand the anger either but I do suspect it's to cover the fear they feel but can not acknowledge.

@silverotter11

Please post a photo of you giving the "Fuck you!" look with your eyes.

Would love to see it. Perhaps I can copy it.

Around here, those 30 round clips do wonders for keeping the deer safe. There's a hunting club that leases the land up the mountain behind me. Every year those weekend warriors from the city come up to hunt. They break out the assault rifles with the big clips on Friday night, and by Saturday morning sun up, there's not a deer within five miles 🤣🤣🤣

To clarify, they scare them all off with all the noise

The GREAT state of Washington

I maintain if you want to own a gun, it can only be single shot muzzle loader since that was the gun type when the second amendment was established.

Nothing stops a person from having multiple magazines, I've always maintained that if you need that many bullets you must be one super lousy shot.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:649915
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.