Agnostic.com

5 9

LINK Texas's abortion law created a 'vigilante' loophole, inspiring dozens of bills from both parties - The Washington Post

Illinois business owners could sue customers who present fake vaccination cards.

Oklahoma parents could sue teachers who offer opposing views to a student’s “closely held religious beliefs” — including evolution.

And any California resident could sue a wide swath of those involved in the gun industry — from the manufacturer to the local gun shop owner — if one of their assault rifles or “ghost gun” kits are used to injure or kill someone. They don’t even have to be a victim of the violence.

All three proposed laws, which promise awards of at least $10,000, have one thing in common: They’re among numerous new bills modeled after a GOP-backed Texas abortion law permitting citizens to sue anyone who helps a woman obtain an abortion after about the six-week mark — from the doctor who performed the procedure down to the person who provided transportation to the clinic.

snytiger6 9 Feb 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Anyone can sue anyone else. That is how lawsuits work. Whether the ones suing see any benefit is yet another story.

In the U.S. OF COURSE where one can sue another over anything not MATTER how banal, trivial or ven illogical and ridiculous of course, Welcome to Unified States of Absurdity.

However the law suit will be thrown out of court almost immediately if the person suing doesn't have "standing." The person suing has to have been wronged by the actions of the person they are suing. This is why the Texas abortion law should be thrown out. A neighbor cannot claim to have been harmed by you aborting a fetus. This is a basic tenant of our legal system, and we may as well give up on laws if people can sue without standing.

No, there are rules to suing. Anyone just can't sue someone.
What a maroon.

@AtheistInNC A maroon. No, you need to check on this. Anyone can sue anyone but it does not mean you will win. If an attorney does not want to take the case and tells you that you cannot win this is usually changed by something called money. Enough money and you can sue anyone. Again, you may not win. 🙂

Intelligence and emotional awareness jerk off in the closet ……while stupidity fucks like rabbits….

Republicans so want us to be more like Russia, less like a true democratic nation of freedom and compromise.

er excuse me BUT when has ANY Western Nation, the U.S. included btw, EVER been a Democracy in the True and Historical Sense and Meaning of the Greek word "Democracy" ?

@Triphid Democracy is an ideal that we strive for. We were founded as a Republic but the goal of Democracy is freedom and fair treatment for all.

@DenoPenno Pssst, just a hint/clue you here, I have at my usage 2 x PhDs, 1 ThD, 5 soon to be 6 Bachelor Degrees and a qualifications besides.
ONE of my Degrees is in the STUDIES of Ancient Cultures such a Greek (Ancient Greece), Ancient
Rome, etc, etc,.
So sorry to burst your little American Educational Supremacy Bubble, but there are very NUMEROUS people, NEITHER American nor American Residents, who are ACTUALLY EDUCATED and MOST likely, even far BETTER Educated than you could EVER hope to imagine.

@Triphid I have no bubble to bust and I am not obsessed with education or degrees. I'm certainly not into anything to do with supremacy of any kind. My remarks are in regard to American politics as seen and practiced by our current parties and the possible outgrowth of this. Nothing more.

@DenoPenno FYI and I know full well that you will be in 100% dis-agreement with me here BUT the U.S. A. system of Government IS no more a TRUE Democracy/Democratic Institution than fish are pork.
Spruik it all you like but you CANNT make a Silk Purse from a Sows' ear.

@DenoPenno Ever though of ACTUALLY reading about the Ancient Greek ideology regarding DEMOCRACY?
YOU Will find it numerous BOOKS in Libraries and written by Respected Authors as well.

Nothing surprising at all…….just like drug prohibition, which has led to multiple unintended consequences.

From the standpoint of the men who actually funded/supported prohibition, the lawlessness and profiting by the mob was the primary objective (consequence). It was very much desired.

If men could get pregnant, there would be abortion clinics at every intersection.
Each one would serve wings and beer in post-OP, and there would be big screen TVs on every wall showing "the game".

Oh yeah, and they'd be FREE.

Fuck the forced-birthers.
I'm so damned sick of their shit.

And don't forget abortion would be a sacrament.

@JackPedigo I was trying to leave religion out of it, but you are not wrong.

@JackPedigo In actual and historical FACT as per the ORIGINAL Xrstian Bible, written and decided upon by the Councils of Nicaea from C.E. 329 to the
final Nicaean Council of 343 C.E. there is NO mention of ANY PUNISHMENT, etc, either by the Laws of Man nor by God for abortion, in fact such acts were highly encouraged for women who became " with Child" after celebrations, etc, etc.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:652131
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.