Agnostic.com

8 8

[psmag.com]

More people killed by guns in the USA than in car accidents for the first time. Will the gun lovers now stop citing cars as being more dangerous than guns ?

Moravian 8 Feb 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Comparing guns and cars is like comparing apples and oranges. One normally doesn't get behind the wheel with the intention of using their vehicle to hurt anyone, whereas one carries a gun most likely with the intention of using it to hurt someone even if it is for self-defence. Car is not a weapon, gun is. I am not pro-gun btw.

Ryo1 Level 8 Feb 23, 2022

No one compared guns and cars. Data regarding safety was compiled on deaths from causes including guns and cars. Intent was irrelevant.

@LovinLarge I was responding to the original poster.

@Ryo1 Are you implying that you think that makes it a private conversation between the two of you?

We may need our guns to overthrow a tyrant just like the one we currently have in Washington.

Don't use words unless you know what they mean.

[thefreedictionary.com]

I know exactly what a tyrant is but evidently you do not.

@Trajan61 Prove it. Define "tyrant".

Funny how you failed to mention over 60% of "gun deaths" are from suicide.

Tejas Level 8 Feb 23, 2022

That’s just the way the libtard idiots are.

And without the easy availability of guns many of those suicides would not have happened because they were impulse actions.

@Lorajay Around 2.5% of suicides in the UK are from gunshots. A tiny number because guns are not readily available unlike in the USA.

@Lorajay if someone wants to kill themselves I believe they have that right. Ive lost more than a one friend due to suicide, and my biggest regret besides wishing I was there for them more is wanting them to have gone as fast as possible. One killed himself in a car wreck that didn't kill him the day of and the other hung himself. They were both poor and convicted felons so owning a gun for them was not an option.

@Tejas Sorry to hear that' I have had friends kill themselves as well.

I inherited 3 rifles last year, one of which is an antique. I have them in storage while I enjoy listening to family members turn on each other to try to get them from me. When it dies down (pun intended), I am going to destroy them like I do with all guns and leg hold traps that I can get my hands on.

Few Americans are abolitionists like myself, but all reasonable people favor reasonable gun control. Those who don't care more about their guns than they do about other people.

Reasonable guns laws to you would likely be considered unreasonable to a reasonable person.

@Trajan61 You have no idea what a reasonable person would think because there is nothing reasonable about you. As a result, you have no credibility here or likely anywhere else.

@LovinLarge About Mr @Trajan61 He is one of the few people I blocked before he blocked me. I'm glad I didn't see his moronic statements. I think most of the Conservative Atheists are actually theists that are basically trolling this site. I'm probably wrong but the two philosophies don't mix.

@LovinLarge Your the one who lacks credibility.

@Trajan61 You + are = you're, not your

Guns are just a tool and never killed anybody. Without that tool you are a lot more likely to be victimized by criminal thugs. I’ll keep my guns. If you want to give up yours feel free to do so.

Let's see your evidence that "without that tool you are a lot more likely to be victimized by criminal thugs".

[rand.org]

[vox.com]

[pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

[fivethirtyeight.com]

[inewsnetwork.net]

@LovinLarge We have sensible gun laws in the UK and correspondingly gun deaths are 1000 times higher in the USA. Hand guns are banned but people who have the odd hobby of shooting with them can still do this at specific gun clubs but the guns must be kept securely locked in the gun club when not in use. Sporting rifles and shotguns can be kept in the home but they must be kept securely locked in a gun cabinet when not in use and owners are carefully vetted before a licence is issued.
Semi automatic rifles ?. Definitely illegal.

@Moravian America's law makers will never agree to reasonable gun laws until they are personally affected. We are a very selfish people. The mask/vaccine controversy is a an example.

@Moravian Lots of good ideas there. Gun ownership should also require insurance to handle the aftermath of any mishaps.

@Moravian Your at the mercy of the criminals in the UK. Here in the US you have the right to defend yourself. I’ll take the US gun laws over those in the UK any day.

@Moravian, @LovinLarge You gun control nuts count suicides as an abuse of guns. I think everyone mentally fit should have the right to end their life if they choose to do so.

@Shaggy2018 We already have reasonable gun laws so what in the hell are you talking about!

@Trajan61 You're illiterate and you can't support your factual claims with evidence because they're not true. The only people who take you seriously are other people who don't know what they're talking about. You must have worked very hard to get so old and still have no idea how to distinguish fact from fiction.

No,it's always been a specious argument, a huge percentage of the population use cars everyday for hours whereas legitimate gun use is a minute part of life. And they will continue to trot out "proof" because of a rare instance of a gun being used in self defense. (math skills on par with astrology and systems to win at roulette) If reason would work, the gun lobby wouldn't have blocked the CDC from studying gun violence.

No. All that such gun lovers know is how to fire high velocity bullshit at everybody else.

You are so full of crap!

No. They come up with some other stupid argument or they'll call this fact 'fake news'.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:652264
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.