Agnostic.com

19 8

Upload your mind to "The Cloud"

As a retired I.T. professional, I'm interested in hearing from folks about their views of becoming "immortal" via the very real possibility in the next 5 years of being able to "re-host" the essence of "you" on a computer. Kind of a hybrid AI being. Would you do this?

bigpawbullets 9 Apr 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes, most certainly, what would I have to lose years down the road? I know I sound like a Deus Ex (video game) fan boy here, but I sure would love to have a neural interface implanted in my brain, making it possible down the road to have a fully electronic brain. I am intrigued by human augmentation and nanotechnology.

If/when the alternative is death, You're damn skippy! Even if it failed, how would I be worse off? & if it was successful, might be incredible! To have instant access to almost all knowledge! In a frickin' heartbeat!

Exactly ..what do we know apart form nothing .. Lucky if still have a mind that works when you go lol !!

Have read some science fictions stories with this theme. Some good and others not. Kind of depends who is in charge of keeping you running or how. Still the possibility is interesting.

And, would this cause an anomaly in a natural progression to "whatever comes next"?

My mind has been in a cloud since the 70's. ?

I’ll take it. Why not? As our bodies fail, we upload our minds to the “internet” to wander and explore countless possibilities. Can I spend years in Minecraft or retire to Skyrim?

An eternity of being unplugged and plugged back in? No thanks.

It's an interesting and intriguing(sp?) concept. At the risk of sounding cold though, why? It wouldn't really be ME as others have pointed out. Would a simulation of my conciousness serve some function? If there's no reason for it to exist, isn't it just a really neat techie way to feed the ego make death seem less scary?

Yes, I would definitely do it. I'm also hoping that nanotech / nanomedicine improves so that I can have any body I desire indefinitely. I would be happy to have my mind waiting in a machine in the meantime, where I can experience the illusion of it as my reality until I can make it physically so. Also, it would be nice to play with distributed consciousness, so that I can experience the best of both worlds, while maintaining the illusion of an integrated self (the illusion all healthy humans experience currently).

I'd do it.... imagine what you could learn... the places you could go (digital libraries/collections around the world).... the people's $#!% you could hack into......

Now that's a tempting thought.

My head has been in the clouds for ages, my Mama kept telling me that !

This is interesting stuff .... Here few thoughts... Lets pretend that we have the technology to transform our mass into energy, which in principle could be digitalised and stored in memory. That data could be kept for as long as the media would allow to retrieve the data. Time would stop and resume only when the data would be converted back into matter. Its creepy and it would allow traveling to the future only.... I know, a lot of people think this is as crazy as it was to say we were going to fly more than 100 years ago....

That sounds better

I am happy to die lol 🙂

Not a computer geek . Can you use English? lol

Say; you could put your personality and mind onto a computer forever, would you 🙂 ?

Does that help ?

Sorry. As an Engineer.... I thought that was English.

That helps- whatever for?

@sassygirl3869 If death is the alternative, whyever not?

Nope. Not even a little interested. When I die, what I know dies with me.

Too right .. I need a bloody rest

It would always be a simulacrum, a precis, an approximation of 'me'. It might be an interesting experience, but it wouldn't be 'me' that would be experiencing it. It would be a whole new being, that was 'me-like', to a greater or lesser extent.

Well stated.

^^This

@stinkeye_a that's what I said but with bigger words !!!!

So? If the alternative is death anyway, why would one not take the chance?

@phxbillcee I'm not saying I wouldn't take the chance of producing an electroJeff V2.0. Still wouldn't be me, though.

Absolutely, the organic form is limited, I wanna learn forever, life is too short, you could be physical and virtual in the future, immortality should be enough but these are just a few optimistic outlooks as to why this is a good idea. I fully intend on doing this and following every source that captures my interest.

Yeah but it wouldn't really be me just a copy . It's now t as if you close your eyes then open them and you are a computer

True (sorry)

Again, if the alternative is non-existence, why not take the plunge?

@phxbillcee I would do it definitely

Only if I can keep being a sassy snarky sarcastic bitch 🙂

I don't think that would be a problem, too hardwired for you right now! LOL (Meant in the nicest possible way!)

@phxbillcee I will never be any less than who I am lol

No. I'm done when I'm done. Now - if that included going back in time and making sure we had a different outcome in the election, I would. 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:65272
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.