Agnostic.com

11 7

LINK Ketanji Brown Jackson was wrong to say "one can only come this far by faith"

On Friday, Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson was formally nominated to the Supreme Court. With her stellar qualifications, experience on the federal bench, and inspirational personal history, it’s a fantastic selection for President Joe Biden. While her judgments so far have not involved any serious church/state separation cases, her background as a public defender and her presumably liberal ideology suggests she would support that wall of separation.

And yet, when she accepted the nomination yesterday, one part of her otherwise fantastic speech stood out because of how she talked about God.

snytiger6 9 Feb 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It would be nice to hear the exact words we like, and not the ones we don't, especially in this circumstance, but she knows who she's talking to. There are enough republican or faith-based senators to vote no on her simply if she doesn't throw in a line like that - because they are that simple. She'll be criticized once she's in no matter what, but the thing is she has to get in. Hopefully the court can be expanded to balance it up a bit, as far as liberal / conservative leanings. Too bad we can't have a rule to maintain balance in the first place, but that would be too fair, wouldn't it?

I winced a little myself.

Awesome lady

bobwjr Level 10 Feb 26, 2022

We all need a little faith to keep us going. As a nearly-atheistic agnostic, my faith is not in any God, but in the power of nature, good people, certain institutions, my own intellect and capabilities, and of course luck. We all need a little luck.

As for Ms. Brown Jackson, who am I to say that she was wrong to mention God in her speech. I have no idea what she means by the term. Is it the simplistic and childish image of a nosy, judgemental, angry, jealous, and...yes, loving old man in the sky? Or did she mean something more nuanced and ineffable, like the totality of energy in the universe? I think it is a mistake to put too much weight on one offhand comment which could ultimately be nothing more than a figure of speech.

This is one agnostic resisting the impulse to tilt at windmills.

l do not care what religion one believe/don't believe in as long as one's decisions are based on neither.

β€œI donate to Democrats via church/state separation organizations.”

I write the above on Demo fundraising mail.

Unfortunately, in our world today and the state of religious bigotry in this country one must at least pretend they believe in some god to even get a modicum of attention. Being black and female so much more so. It's called reality and, as we all know, what one says doesn't make it necessarily so. To me she is obviously so much more qualified than the last three judges nominated by republicans and they probably know so. That and being in a minority (liberal) status will be her most difficult hurdle. It will be interesting to see how she and Thomas get along. We all know Thomas' sad history.

I want to support her but in my mind only. I'm hoping that she never gets involved in any crap involving putting a god in our schools or in our government.

Once she is installed it doesn't matter. Someone needs to stand against the rabid right (non) justices.

Joe Biden is a religious fanatic unfortunately. I still believe most people are just playing the "God Card"

I wouldn't categorize Biden as a "fanatic".
Granted, he is devout, but I've not seen him use his beliefs to shape public policy.

He gets a buttload of criticism for being pro-choice from quite a few religutards.
He's not remotely christy enough for them.
He also hasn't endorsed public funds for "faith-based" initiatives, unlike Bush2.

Yeah, he mentions his faith periodically, but I've yet to see any indication that he uses it to pander. Much unlike several of his predecessors.

@KKGator Back when he was a senator, I'd see him quite often walk through the lobby of the hotel I worked. He went to mass every fucking morning. I call that a religious fanatic.

@barjoe Going to mass every day is excessive, no doubt.
However, as long as he isn't trying to force his beliefs on anyone else, it's not nearly as bad as it could be. We've already seen worse.

Would I prefer a completely secular government, with all elected and appointed participants being non-believers?
You bet your ass I would.

Unfortunately, that is not the reality we live in.
So, we make the best of what we have.
And what we have is a catholic president.
I'll take Biden over ANYTHING the republicans have to offer.

@KKGator Yes Joe Biden, JFK and Jimmy Carter who is a complete religious nutball, all adhered to 1st amendment establishment clause and the free exercise clause of the constitution. Unlike evil right wingers who probably don't even believe, they just profit off ignorant believers.

I fully expected Biden to pick ok people who were religious. As a realist, I recognize that Biden is an actual practicing catholic. The Trumpster only played an evangelical hypocrisy filled ass for the cameras.

I want to support this nomination, I really do.
However, I am automatically resistant to anyone who publicly announces their faith in any deity or religion.

Although, it might help her with the stupid fucking republicans in the Senate.
πŸ™„

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:652836
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.