Agnostic.com

5 8

LINK Brittney Griner in Russia: WNBA star's wife and congresswoman react

As WNBA player Brittney Griner remains detained in Russia, her family is hurting, while one elected official amplified calls for her release.

Cherelle T. Griner, the wife of the Phoenix Mercury basketball star, wrote Monday in an Instagram caption "there are no words to express this pain. I'm hurting, we're hurting. We await the day to love on you as a family."

Griner has been in custody since February due to alleged drug charges, although the Russian Federal Customs Service didn't release footage of Griner, identified by Russia state-operated news agency Tass, at an airport screening until Saturday. The two-time Olympic gold medalist allegedly was stopped for carrying hashish oil in her luggage. The punishment, according to Russian officials, could carry a prison sentence of up to 10 years.

"My heart, our hearts, are all skipping beats everyday that goes by," Cherelle Griner wrote. "I miss your voice. I miss your presence. You’re our person!"

CNN reported Tuesday that Russian state television aired on Saturday a photo of Griner holding a piece of paper at a police station. The photo was taken after Griner's arrest, the network said. The CNN report also included footage of a Russian Federal Customs service official confirming that a "criminal case has been opened against an American for smuggling a significant amount of drugs."

(There have been several false cases against Americans in the past, used as political leverage by the Russian government, according to an NPR report.)

snytiger6 9 Mar 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

She broke the law in russia. Now she has to pay the price for her mistake.

If this is true it means the Russians will take this to the max in using against her and use all the worst words to describe her drug that they can. Also if this is true, it means that Griner most likely had some USA approved CDB oil with her at the time. Why would she do that? Maybe not thinking. Keep in mind the timing of this (Russia invades the Ukraine) and keep in mind that Griner is a two time Olympic gold medalist. Political move for sure and I feel for the family. I have also restricted my overseas travel since 2005 just to help remain safe.

That's why I stay my ass in the United States. Not taking any chances traveling overseas these days.

I'm not afraid of traveling overseas, but I sure as hell am not visiting a country that is either authoritarian or having a civil war at the time.

Excellent player but you take risks playing there, money or not, sad occurrence but Russia is against LBGQ people like black singers in deep South during 50s risky

Talk about a bullshit move.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:654631
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.