Agnostic.com

16 9

Where did you grow up? What did you like about it?

Growing up on a lake in Michigan was beautiful. Loved sitting on the dock with my feet in the water, watching the sunset fill the sky with colors reflected in the water. Guppies nibbled my toes. This fueled my love of the outdoors.

Sailing was rapturous, relaxing and fun. As a teen, sailing alone soothed my tempestuous soul. Exquisite red cardinals on white snow. Turtles, frogs, fish, ducks, muskrats. Lake Michigan and Lake Superior. White dunes and powerful waves. Canoeing, swimming, ice skating. Water is in my heart and soul. Arriving at the ocean is a deep release. Love the rhythmic roll... crash...hiss of the waves.

But I could never live in the Midwest again. Too flat. Would miss my beloved mountains.

I feel grateful to my late mother for cooking healthy food and exercising regularly. She was a great role model. Feel lucky to grow up in a funny, intelligent family who valued reading, playing musical instruments (for me, flute) and education. No TV in the living room. I continued those traditions.

My girl Claire is home for the weekend. She lives in rainy Seattle. Today I made her breakfast.

"I realize how lucky I was to grow up in Wenatchee (WA)," Claire said. "It's beautiful! I love the blue skies, friendly people and mountains. When I was a teenager, I couldn't wait to get out. It took me a decade to appreciate Wenatchee."

"Yesterday I drove the loop around the Columbia River over both bridges and it took me only twenty-minutes! In Lake Stevens, it takes that long to drive four-miles."

"I feel lucky to have you for a mother," she said. "You raised me on healthy food and exercise. Now I cook healthy food and work out. Dad credits you for that."

"I'm getting more organized like you and more artistic like Dad. It's funny how that happens."

Photos:

Sunrise in Wenatchee, January. Cascade Mountains in the background.

Spring weather in Wenatchee.

Claire on her thirty-second birthday last week.

Family vacation at Lake Michigan.

Long Lake, Michigan where I grew up.

LiterateHiker 9 Mar 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Grew up in south New Jersey, 20 miles northeast from Philadelphia, PA on the Delaware River. My parents bought a new house in a development modeled on the Levittown ideal of suburban living. It was just being developed and behind our house was a peach orchard, not for long as development expanded but the dirt and mounts created for the basements for the new houses were great fun to play on. The weather was great, played outside all the time. No TV in the living room and no coloring books. Lots of paper, crayons, colored pencils and watercolor paints. In the summer crafts at the church for the kids and school friends would come to our house and play board games when it was too frickin' hot or rainy to play outside. But by the time I was 12 the best thing about church on Sunday was sneaking out after the choir sang and going to sit on the edge of the Delaware River, listen to the water, birds and critters in the woods. Otherwise just felt like I did not belong there. When I was 20 I got on a plane for the first time and flew to Seattle to visit a friend, it literally felt like coming home. I never moved back to NJ. Loved the Seattle area and miss it. Should say I miss what the area was back in the 1970s and 1980s. eastern WA is okay.

Small town, Indiana, typical. It was "the woods" where we hung out through childhood. Great Fun and adventures, and of course t-r-o-u-b-l-e .....Houses there now of course.

Teenage years were crushing, but I survived

twill Level 7 Mar 28, 2022

I grew up near the City of Champions. (It will be interesting to see who many think it's THEIR town LOL)

I'll treat this a sociological question.
I did my growing up from the age of about five in a small expanding town in Hampshire. My family moved there as part of the London overspill in the late 1960s where the Greater London Council built little London's around the home counties. As far as I was concerned, this was the countryside - milk delivered by horse and cart, mud roads, trees and wildlife such as red squirrels in our tiny garden.
As time drew on, the town became a commuter suburb of London. The rural accents gave way to something more 'cockney'.

I grew up in Missouri at a time when almost everywhere in the US was comfortably prosperous, even for working stiffs like my family. Massachusetts was a big improvement.

I grew up in West Seattle. No complaints. Moved around the Greater Seattle area for the first 51 years of my life, but when I learned there were places with more sunshine and fewer gray drizzly days, I left for the warmth of sunnier days and warmer nights.

I forgot to mention what I DID like about growing up in West Seattle. Of course it was a long time ago, so we were able to walk or ride our bikes so many places, take the bus downtown or to the WS Junction. I had a view of the Space Needle and Mount Baker from my living room window. I could walk down the hill to the beach and Lincoln Park. A short drive would take us to Alki Beach, where I remember having ice cream on the shore.

Lots of reasons to like parts of my childhood, but I'm not sure it's just the location, but the times as they were back then. We walked to/from school - bought candy and beef jerky from the corner store - played outside with neighbor kids until Dad got home and whistled for us to come home for dinner.

Fairly mild winters with the rare snow day, where we could stay home and build snow forts even past dark because the street lights would reflect on the snow. Summers were pretty tame but we still got burned from staying too long in the sun at the lake, etc. Lots of lakes in Washington State and my brothers raced boats, so we spent spring/summer weekends at the boat races. Lots of things to like about all that. Not sure it's a lot different from many other parts of the country.

I grew up in NJ.
The best thing about that was leaving.

I grew up there also - 20 miles from Philly on the Delaware River.

I grew up in Speedway, IN - 4 blocks from the Indy 500 race track. Need I say more than that? (Race fans are wild! The entire month of May was incredibly entertaining).

Ok, another cool thing: we were close to extended family living there. I got to spend a lot of QT with my grandparents and was on good terms with MANY cousins. I really miss it/them so much.

Zster Level 8 Mar 27, 2022

I lived in Speedway for a while back in the 80s

@Secretguy Small world! I moved out of there in January of 1980, to the next township over.

@Zster Ahhh....what might have been! 😉
From the west side I moved all the way out to Jamestown...if you know where that is.

@Secretguy You’ve GOT to be pulling my leg! I know right where that is because I lived in Jamestown (IN) from 1990-97! When were you there?

Grew up around Baltimore, went downhill, moved to Delaware still pretty good

bobwjr Level 10 Mar 27, 2022

I grew up twenty miles as the crow flies from Manhattan. In the winter I ice skated on a pond surrounded by trees, I think a superhighway goes through there now. For my birthday we would see a Broadway play and school field trips sometimes went to NYC museums. Still love both culture and forests.

MizJ Level 8 Mar 27, 2022

Brooklyn and a waterfront area on Eastern Long Island.

The differences of living in both places was the greatest.

Winchester, Illinois. It wasn't crowded like Chicago or St. Louis.

Close enough to visit Chi town? I had family in NW IN. I could hop on the South Shore train to Chicago easily. We did quite a few family vacations that way!

@Zster my home town is about 400 miles from Chicago.

@Zster I still do !

@freedom41 Almost 800 from where I live now. Would fly, most likely. Someday…

I grew up on the surface of the planet called Earth. More specifically on part of that surface where the rock of the planet was above the sea level, so I didn't have to swim.

I particularly liked the fact that the Earth being in the 'Goldilocks zone' meant it's surface was at a temperature that could sustain life - indeed it would have been unfortunate if that had not been the case.

I grew up in a small town 150 miles west of where I live now. When I was in HS my mom died and my dad remarried. When I was a senior in HS dad told me I wouldn't be going to college, he was not going to sign the permission paperwork (this was 1976) because he wasn't going to be responsible for the cost. He didn't give me many options for a future. I walked downtown one afternoon, dropped in on the Navy recruiter's office. They had no openings for a women's basic for about a year, he walked me over to the Army recruiter's office and I took paperwork home to my dad that evening. Dad had no good reason not to sign, so he did. The following December I left that small town and my dad's roof and never looked back. And that, my dears, has made all the difference.

Which is how you became a strong person.

@CuddyCruiser Totally! And my kids can say "my mama wore combat boots."

@HippieChick58 It’s the Army Training itself. My father was a Command Sgt. Major in the US Army, as well as an NYPD Detective and always said that type of training either makes or breaks you.

@CuddyCruiser I was not a good fit for the Army, I tend to be more thoughtful and less action oriented. I stuck it out as a means to an end. I don't regret my time in the service, it did help shape who I am today. I told my kids that if they went into the military for any reason, join the Air Force. They have far less BS and more humanity.

I grew up in a suburb in the Detroit area. There was no scenery to speak of, and the weather was miserable - hot and humid in the summer, and cold, gray and slushy in the winter. I couldn't get out of there fast enough, and I'd live on the street before I'd live there again.

I grew up in a village about 30 km away from Lisbon. What I liked? My neighbours were always ready to help and everyone would help each other. What I didn't like? People were too nosy...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:657902
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.