Agnostic.com

8 22

LINK 'I was horrified': Woman reports being tracked by Apple AirTag

BOSTON —
A Massachusetts woman says she received a notification from Apple which alerted her that someone was tracking her through an AirTag, a small device that is meant to track belongings such as a wallet or a set of keys.

Francesca Nardelli, of Boston, said that when she shared her experience on social media, she was flooded with messages from other women who said the same thing happened to them.

"I was horrified," Nardelli said. "It said the owner of the device could see my location and it showed me a map of everywhere that I had just been."

After seeing the map that tracked her every move, including to her home, Nardelli called the Boston Police Department.

Nardelli thought the AirTag was hidden somewhere on her car, but police officers could not find it after thoroughly searching her vehicle, inside and out.

"It definitely was on her person somewhere. These AirTags are about the size of a quarter, and they could put it somewhere where it's basically impossible to find," said Bob Rudis, chief security data scientist for Rapid7, a Boston-based cybersecurity company. "Even if someone did a really thorough job of looking at a car, looking at all the parts, it could still be somewhere on there."

According to Apple, the alert received by Nardelli is part of the AirTag's safety feature to notify users that an unknown device is following them.

Rudis, however, said people will get that alert from Apple if they have an iPhone. Apple does have an AirTag app for Android phones, but it will not a tracking notification for Android users.

"(The battery on an AirTag) will last a good year. So it could be on you for a year and if you don't have an iPhone, you wouldn't even know it's on you," Rudis said.

In Nardelli's case, there was a 35-minute delay from when the map said tracking began to when she received the alert.

"There is some implicit delay between the lingering time that an AirTag has to be with you, or a foreign AirTag has to be with you," Rudis said.

"It's really scary and it's a lot more serious than it sounds," Nardelli said. "You don't know the motives people have of putting a device on your car. It could be stealing your car. It could be to harm you."

The Boston Police Department confirms it is investigating Nardelli's case.

In a statement, Apple said it has been actively working with law enforcement on all AirTag-related requests they have received.

HippieChick58 9 Apr 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

All the more reason for me to avoid Apple products.

I always wondered when something like that will become available to jealous boyfriends, etc. I'm glad that she was notified that someone was tracking her, still a little puzzled by how it works, but I hope she discovers where it is on her person, clothes, bag, pocket or car. Strange. Glad to know what it looks like.

And if you don't have an Apple device there's no way for Apple to contact you, or even find you.

I'm not fully aware of this. It loses me. Reminds me of comedy done to a caller today on radio where the woman pretended to be at a guys house taking pics and measurements, etc. It was all put on and not real. The guy was ready to call the police. 🙂

Because your cell phone cannot be tracked.........

Of course your cell phone cannot be tracked, located and tapped in to at will, and, Father Xmas is Donald Trump in disguise as well of course, LOL.
I still know exactly how to tap any home telephone WITHOUT even entering the home or building and can listen in at will from to and including a distance of 700 metres away from the connection point.
Oh, and cell phones are ever so much easier to tap in to a listen covertly to as well., btw.

Scary as hell. 😡 makes you not want to leave the house!!

I don't even know where to start to unpack how ugly society has become with the new technology being used in a way not actually intended.

What the Actual Fuck..

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:658752
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.