Agnostic.com

37 8

Altruistic prayer

What's the best response to give someone that says they'll pray for you even though they're genuinely trying to be nice?

Offworlder 4 Apr 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

37 comments (26 - 37)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Curious as to how my adult Atheist son handles this I asked.
He said that he says "Please, spare me your Sorceries, I have no time for Sorcery."

I'm gonna start saying that...lol

It would depend on whether the prayer was for my salvation or the result of a blood test. Two VERY different responses.

I say, "Thank you."

"Please don't pray to your Blood God for me."
Is how I often respond
Is is a cartharsis
It shocks the system of the believer. They are either silent that I called Jesus a Blood God
OR they begin to insist it is not a Blood God, when it clearly is a Blood God and this can be easily pointed out . . .down the rabbit hole
I get few repeat offenders.

I was the only one who gave a snitty comment, sorry, I am in a snitty mood today.

I hate it because ot makes you into a poor wee thing that needs praying for, and I need that response like I need a hole in the head - given that my society is now completely down the tubes I would probably want to say something smartarse like - 'get lost!'

I say "If that's what you want to do.", I don't want to give them the impression I approve of prayer to sky daddy. That might sound gruff but I have my reasons.

Sorry I got sidetracked, my response is always, no thanks, save it for someone who would appreciate it.

No good, I like the other fella

Gets them thinking.. LOL

KenG Level 6 Apr 25, 2018

Swiftly moving on.

If they are genuinely trying to be nice or show empathy as in a loss of loved one I say "thank you".

If they are saying it in order to degrade my beliefs I say "no thanks"

MsAl Level 8 Apr 25, 2018

Allah willing? Nothing fails like prayer?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:65900
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.