Agnostic.com

30 4

Describe Your Temperament During Extreme Stress Situations.

As Humans we possess different levels of personality's which includes our Temperament.

We are all familiar with the term referring to a person having
"A Temper" which suggest this person is angered easily.

During Extreme Stressful situations such as an argument, encounter with a bad driver, or a bad shopping or dining experience, our Temperament is obviously affected negatively on different levels dependent upon the individual.

Lets say we establish 3 basic levels of Temperament:

*Moderate😘 During extreme stress you remain calm and rational with minimal anger.

*Mid-level😘 During extreme stress you remain rational but experience frustration, and began to express the frustration
in a subtle way.

*Maximum😘 During extreme stress you basically become enraged, irrational, and basically explode

What level would you fall into? Please explain how you handle extreme stressful situations.

• 25 votes
  • 24 votes
  • 3 votes
twshield 8 Apr 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I guess it depends on the type of stressful situation. In medical emergencies I am as calm as a cucumber. If I've been in bumper to bumper traffic for three hours, probably moderately. If I walk into my kitchen and my kids have had a food fight, I'm apt to lose my shit!!

I have a very long fuse, so I don't really get enraged. My stress is expressed as more internal angst and panic. Meditation has helped immensely with this.

Have to deal with stressful situations which have the potential to become explosive.Im a psychiatric nurse..Really deal with situations very calmly..personal fears / anxiety can heighten the problem.Have had to deal with verbal and physival aggression in my work ..but it is due to mental illness...which the client has no control over...and the anger is often due to their fear / anxiety / frustration.Diffusing a horrible situation ..is a reward in itself .

Okay interestingly ... we are all capable of all three...

Essentially you have three main stages of stress..

Mild as you say which may include only verbal posturing ...

Mid which would include not only verbal posturing but body language cue's and gesticulation

High is when gesticulation becomes physical violence ..

We all follow that roughly

Personally I walk away from a situation on feeling any stress or discomfort and return when feelings have subsided. So I mainly experience 1 in order to avoid 2 & 3 lol !!

We are all capable of the full spectrum and only environment dictates that in the end!! 🙂

Also you cannot (and it is fact) think straight when stressed .. it severely erodes critical thought process so always best to walk.

It depends on the situation but I have experienced all three levels before with maximum being very rare.

Same as me matey!

I posted moderate, but with a caveat. In driving situations, for example, I'll call the person an idiot (or worse) out loud, but to the windshield, not out the window. That gets it out of my system, & then is promptly forgotten. With a more long term situation I remain calm, most of the time, but if someone is a constant source of stress I try to get them out of my life & forget them, too!

I can definitely relate to the driving example. I’m pretty calm and relaxed about most situations, but I do yell (also with closed windows) and get overly frustrated behind the wheel. I’m working on it though.

I am usually pretty calm in stressful situations, but the exception is when I am drinking. I have a hard time backing down and/or walking away.

For close to a decade, I functioned with high stress coming from all sectors of my life -- work and marriage. Much of the stress, I created by creating large projects at work, designing and planning them, implementing them, and evaluating them. I reacted to stress by being more focused in responding.

Once psychological counselor did a stress assessment and said that the levels of stress I dealt with would make most people ill. For a long time I thrived on the stress and actually enjoyed that in the work side. but I eventually experienced burnout.

My compassion goes into hyperfocused overdrive: How would I feel if I were that person? How would I want people to treat me if I were the one that screwed up?

I get a shot of humility as I think about how some time it's going to be me causing stress for someone else.

Same, human!

So far, I've been able to remain calm during crisis situations.
I once fell out of a boat in the middle of the Intercoastal. Stayed calm, made it back
to shore. About 10 minutes after getting back on dry land, I cried. I think that was more
of a release than anything else.

@twshield Thanks, was almost 'sleeping with the fishes'. That was a really weird day.

Moderate. Life has taught me not to take things too seriously, as life is short and stress can put someone in their grave prematurely. People will be people.

I hurt, you hurt......

I voted mid-level but it really depends on the circumstances. Certain circumstances can derail my usually calm demeanor. I have experienced all levels but I manage to keep myself at the low-level, 99% of the time.

I voted moderate but it really depends on how important the situation is to me.
I've said this here before, I've mellowed a lot in my old age. 😉

I have been under pressure my whole professional life.... The older I get the easiest it has become to handle it. If anything my doctor is starting to believe I was actually born with high blood pressure ??

It is very subjective for me!

Am I the injured party?

Am I the one who helps the injured or tries to rectify the situation?

Are the authority involved such as the police, fire, EMT, National guard, FEMA, or religious morons?

It all depends on the situation!

I'm definitely a moderate. My philosophy in regards to reacting to emergencies is anything that isn't solving the problem is exacerbating the problem. In some cases panic kills.

However, in the past when the stress involved a threat to my kids. My reaction was more like Extreme once they were secure.

JimG Level 8 Apr 25, 2018

Mid level - I respond to stress like a MASH episode. Escalate quickly, steam excapes, stay on task, use that energy to find a solution.

jeffy Level 7 Apr 25, 2018

I am an older rubberband

Nice analogy.

It’s all about context...working in retail has probably ruined me now though

As a situation becomes increasingly stressful, I get calmer and quieter. In fact, I've heard friends warn each other that when I'm really quiet in the midst of stress it's probably time to find something else to do elsewhere. So it takes a lot to exceed my tolerance threshold. But that only shows up after the situation has been resolved. Then I might need some alone time to get the shakes or even cry -- either of these in private, alone.

Ha, me too.

This isn't what happens. Everyone has a tiping point. I have cut down people who have hung themselves without missing a beat but then fallen apart watching something on TV. None of us know until we are in that situation.

It depends on the situation. At work in an emergency I might lose it in private after the situation is over. At a restaurant I just decide not to go there again

I'm pretty sure, for me at least, that there are different types of stress triggers to which I react very differently. Your examples, which are interesting, are more of the annoyance level to me than extreme stress causers.

You would be right Sir.. We are all capable of all three depending on environment 🙂

Usually very good in a crisis...then, I'll go home and fall apart!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:66088
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.