Agnostic.com

5 18

Wild turkey, deer and a translucent shed snakeskin with rattles.

Forgot I wrote about my hike years ago in my journal. Here's the story.

Today Karen and I did a huge loop around the top of a mountain. We were south of Wenatchee in the Cascade Mountain foothills. We hiked -miles with a couple thousand feet of elevation gain (and loss). We scrambled to the summit.

We were trying out a new trail. Came around a corner and there were the Enchantments Mountains!

To our delight, we saw female deer and a male wild turkey. Spooked, the turkey hid in the bushes. Beside the trail, we saw a dried, translucent-white, delicate shed snakeskin with rattles. A rattlesnake. The wind blew the delicate snakeskin onto the bush next to the trail. That's why we way it.

Washington State is experiencing a drought, creating worry about wildfires.

The Evergreen Mountain Bicycle Alliance built a large network of trails south of town in the foothills last Fall. Old dirt-bike (motorcycle) paths are designated future trails. Motor vehicles are banned. Good. The highest trails are last to be built.

It's nice to walk on mountain bicycle trails because they are well-graded and usually smooth dirt. I had a wonderful time!

LiterateHiker 9 Apr 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

@dalefvictor, @Jornweick, @silverotter11, @EarnestEccentric, @19dacar52, @Flyingsaucersir, @marksam8484, @Dhiltong, @HippieChick58, @Betty, @CuddyCruiser, @freedom41, @GrooshStar, @Anvesh, @snytiger6, @Mitch07102, @Robert_2001, @phoenixone1, @linxminx, @Organist1, @WayneDalton, @Fernapple

Here's a shed snakeskin I found while in an outdoor yoga class by the Columbia River in 2020. It was wrapped around the base of a small tree.

There was a wire cage around the base of the tree to protect it from beavers. It was tricky pulling the delicate, dried snakskin off the wire cage. Maybe the snake felt safe inside the cage.

If I hadn't been lying on a yoga mat, I never would have spotted it. Gave it to Karen to show her grandson.

I found the rattles years ago.

The more you write and show pictures the more I would like to get out there and see some of what you are seeing. I just found out that my knees are bad enough to get replaced all I have to do is lose about fifteen pounds and get rid of some wounds from cats walking on me.

Those are the most beautiful flowers

On my ten acres in the wooded area above and west of Cle Elum we saw deer, elk, bear, cougar, wild turkey, grouse, various owls, quail but no rattlers. Rubber Boas and garter snakes. The various mating seasons were fun to listen to.

Another great story. Your writing along with the photos make it seem like I am there.

@19dacar52

Thank you!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:662130
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.