Agnostic.com

12 15

"You look great for your age" doesn't feel like a compliment.

Today a man on Fitness Singles wrote, "You look great for your age."

"Thank you," I replied. "Many women find that insulting. It is kinder to say, "You look great." No stinging dig about my age."

Reminds me of when my ex-husband said, "Why Kathleen, you finally gained weight!" I laughed. "There's a compliment in there somewhere, Terry," I replied, amused.

What, I was too scrawny during our marriage?

My doctor had made me gain 10-lbs. Returned to my normal fighting weight.

LiterateHiker 9 Apr 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I thought I had a feeling or an opinion about the comment / compliment, or a reaction to any of this. Turns out I don't. I'm remarkably unaffected. The most interesting thing I can come up with was just that.

I had someone the other day say "You're pretty for someone who doesn't wear makeup." Ummm....thanks

I prefer ladies without makeup. My late wife only wore makeup three times in the 25 years we were together.

You do look awesome

bobwjr Level 10 Apr 24, 2022

That used to bother me too, but now I've let myself go a bit, and those "compliments" stopped coming, so there is a way to make them stop, haha!

People don't mean any malice by the comments, sometimes they are just surprised to see someone who is well preserved, whether through good genes, hard work or an easy stress free lifestyle.

I'll usually take a compliment in the way it was intended, and I try not to make it into a problem, unless I simply don't like the person and want to make it into reason to turn them away. Then, no matter what they say, I'll likely find a way to take offense, haha. Sadly that's the bristly part of my human nature that needs some work. 😉

Sometimes I'll see an old geezer....then realize....I went to school with him !!

twill Level 7 Apr 24, 2022

So many of us can't imagine.

Oh...you poor thing.

I kid you not, I was at the doctor's office just a few days ago and was bitching about the ravages of aging and was told by the nurse, "I think you look great, especially for a man your age." She couldn't have been more than late 20s -- early 30s and was very pretty. I decided I would take that compliment no matter how it came to me.

FYI: I'll be 60 in Oct.

@Sgt_Spanky

We're all alive the day before we die.

I see it as age is just a number...that will eventually kill me. 🤷

This sort of compliment doesn’t bother me in the least. I usually laugh if someone says it and thank them … I assume they mean well.

If someone I knew for a long time said that I had aged well it would be ok, your example is rude.

MizJ Level 8 Apr 23, 2022

You're accustomed to lots of positive affirmation. Most of us get none. Just accept it gracefully.

@BitFlipper

You missed the point.

Exactly.
Every action and word picked apart to find a reason a person unworthy can become a habit.

Backhanded compliments are usually hiding an insult.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:662419
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.