Agnostic.com

6 5

LINK The Untold Truth Of The Book Of Revelation - YouTube

Putting Revelations in perspective and cultural context...

Except Nero was greatly defamed b y Christians, who wrote most of Roman histories. The reason, was he persecuted Christians and was the guy who put them in with the lions. However, historical accounts greatly exaggerated the number of Christians thrown to the lions. It was not all that entertaining, so the practice stopped after a few dozen.

Although hardly a great humanitarian, Nero was a much better leader than he was portrayed by Christian historians.

snytiger6 9 Apr 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

According to Catherine Nixey's book "The Darkening Age" the whole lion thing was voluntary christian martyrdom that left the Romans puzzled and questioning the martyrs sanity

twill Level 7 May 28, 2022

Kind of like how many modern Christians want the world to end...

Whoever wrote Revelations....those were some SERIOUS DRUGS they were ingesting...I want TWO of them. 😂

@phoenixone1 "The Revelation of St. John" was written by "John the Seer" who deliberately tried to confuse himself with the Apostle John but almost certainly was not he, on the Island of Patmos.
Patmos was known for centuries for only one thing, as the Island where the best hallucinogenic mushrooms grew. It was in fact the number one tourist attraction for the area.
It is therefore highly probable you are completely correct and the whole book is one long Acid Trip

@LenHazell53 Sorry but as person with a ThD and Degrees in Ancient History and Modern History I can tell you that IF you choose to search, sit and read THOROUGHLY through the accounts of the 3 Councils of Nicaea as perthe records kept by the Scribe to Emperor Constantine, Titus Medinus, you will find that it was unanimous agreed that the "history of the new religion??", aka what we now know as the Bible, NEEDED an ending similar to all the other religious legends and tales that are common in the Empire."
The then self-appointed, as they ALL were btw, Bishop of Nicaea proposed that this "ending" should be dramatic, disastrous and contain a dire, even if completely fictional, warning to people that "Life and Living is not theirs and theirs alone, and like everything else UNLESS they obey and adhere to the things prescribed in this new religion

@LenHazell53 yup...i want TWO...😂

@LenHazell53, @Triphid I had always believed that the Bible and Religion was nothing but an agenda anyway, so I guess I was correct. 😁

@Triphid What are you sorry about?
Nothing I said disagrees with what you have said, (I have studied the councils of Nicea and Ancyra) there were 9 Apocalyptic books of revelations in contention for the last book of the NT, for some reason John's was chosen for exactly the reasons you state
Most were first or second century CE pseudographs, pretending to have been written by Peter, Paul, James, John, Thomas or "The Shepherd of Hermas"

@LenHazell53 FYI, the ENTIRE bible excluding the Pentateuch, and I do mean ENTIRE btw, was composed and written between the years 325 C.E. and 343 C.E..

@Triphid I think you will find many scholars disagree, for example there is a consensus that the Gospel of Mark was written between 66 and 70 C.E. with Mark 16:9–20 being added at least 100 years later.
Would you be kind enough to reference where the contention of a fourth century composition comes from, in 40 years of study I have never heard that.

You are surely not contending that the whole bible was forged and written at the first seven ecumenical councils, rather than being simply compiled there?

@LenHazell53 You FORGOT to add "Biblical" BEFORE the term Scholars my friend.
There is as much a difference between HISTORICAL Biblical History as in WHEN it was ACTUALLY composed and written as there is between cheese and chalk when it come to the Bible Scholars versus those who work with HISTORICALLY proven FACTS in regards to Christianity.

"Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition."

No one ever did even back then BUT it happened did it not?

Well, since the entirety of all "holy" books are fiction, no one should be surprised.

Not a bad fiddler either

Apocalypse Now! The movie title captures what I mean: that apocalypse is occurring to someone somewhere all the time. Take the people of Ukraine, for example...or Yemen, or South Sudan, or...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:662523
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.