Agnostic.com

32 2

Best opening lines?

I'm wondering what the folks (male and female) here find the most appealing first messages on dating sites and what opening lines make you unlikely to respond.
I'll start. If someone starts out by saying something like "you sound interesting - I'm hoping to get to know you" I'm really likely to respond. If, on the other hand, they start out with something like "hi, gorgeous. You're really beautiful." I don't respond. It's more about the accuracy (or lack thereof) of statements on my appearance than the fact that I'd hope someone would want to go beyond the superficial.
What about you?

ladyprof70 7 Apr 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Totally agree...give me something I can respond to, keep the ball rolling. Even better, make me laugh

Show you read her profile by asking about something in her profile or photos.

I figure if a man cannot muster cogent thoughts and write a personal message, there's not much going on between his ears. Personally, I think having a brain is a good idea.

Then you do the opening line. When you are a guy everything other than hello sounds like a line. If you are really interested in someone you don't want to blow it right out of the gate. Having a brain has nothing to do with it. Since you don't know this person you have know idea what they would respond to in a positive way. ?

Of course. Women want to be appreciated for who they are. Most cis hetero men are attracted by appearance, so many only check out the photos-instead of reading the profiles- for the youngest, prettiest female they can find, and their goal is sex, not to "get to know" her likes, interests, etc.

Hey now. I resemble that remark 😉

It depends upon the site. However, generally speaking. manners and a polite intro go much further than a superficial remark about your looks or age. If they've taken the time to read and remark about something in a profile, then THAT may be dignified with a response.

Nobody likes a phony compliment. Be genuine. Discover the common interests and shared life experiences.

I wouldnt know, no one ever messeges me, hahaha

Proto Level 6 Apr 25, 2018

Determine if they are who they say they are.

It's honestly so easier in person. Being able to read body language plays such a big role imo. I realllly hate trying to messege anyone first, never really know what to say ? feels awkward.

Easier in person? lol

If they start out with "you are sexy", I'm out.

Pardon me...Can I read your shirt in Braille...I'm Blind!

I don't care for 'lines'; It's akin to talking to a customer service rep, who's job is dependent on saying specific catch phrases and call lines. Each time you hear it, you know it is rehearsed and fake - making the speaker fake as well.

No lines (just like Edna said 'no capes'😉

Hahaha. Edna. Incredible! 😉

Former call center customer service rep here (recovering): 100% verified. 😟

My fiance was attracted because of a single "hello!" And subsequent conversation.

Granted, I am a woman, and own a vagina, therefore, "hello" may be enough to initiate conversation. The opening lines I've been most drawn to from others had always involved something more personal, even if you DID have to Google that ani diFranco quote, you took the TIME, damn it.

The future of our species may very well be in peril.

@lizzybathory I'm pleased we got the vagina issue sorted so quickly.

Ani diFranco, eh? Respect.

I remember back in 60s as a young teenager I went up to a girl at a dance, who was little older and quite attractive and I leaned toward her and said 'your sexy, I'd love to get into your pants' she gave me a dead pan look and said 'no thanks, one arshole in here is enough'. I was left slack jawed and looking for a rock to crawl under.

RonB Level 5 Apr 26, 2018

Sooo... I guess you are not from Tennessee, are not wearing "space pants" and you do know the weight of a full grown polar bear ??
Kidding?

I'm not sure what a good opening line would be. I've not received any responses to my opening messages. I usually say hi & comment on their interests listed in their profile or perhaps something they've posted. Perhaps I should just end each opening message with a photo of my rooster & say something like sorry for the unsolicited cock shot but isn't he pretty." (Edited to correct typo)

His name is Oscar De La Pollo & for some reason I couldnt post a pic on my original comment.

Mine is usually to make an observation about the food/the venue/whatever and see if I get any traction.

@SallyInStitches Not many women have a nice cock like that. Impressive. ?

How much for a happy ending?

Some questions are doomed to be asked again.

On another dating site I got a message saying "I'll show you my library if you show me yours" and that was a great opener. I had another who made a geologic joke, randomly, and I was more apt to respond.

Neither worked out, but the BEST way to get me talking is more off the cuff humorous things and less "hey your sexy I'm in love wit dem eyes bby"

Especially since it says right there in my profile "I don't have sexual desire"

Excusez mois, avais-vous un poupon gris?

Etre Level 7 Apr 26, 2018

Did you have a grey baby????

@LadyAlyxandrea

@LadyAlyxandrea
Excuse me do you have any fine ground mustard?

@Etre that makes a little more sense lol

The opening line that has overwhelming worked for me is "Hi"

Ozman Level 7 Apr 26, 2018

My love for you is like diarrhea, I just can't hold it in!

Do you believe in love at first sight, or should I walk by again.

Totally agree with your take on it. I like to know that someone is responding to my profile and not just looking at my photos. It's a dead giveaway when in my post I have said something like "Trump supporters need not contact me" and some Trumpet sends me a message that says "I think we have a lot in common"

I like when a man sends me a message, anything. I check his profile and if I might be interested I respond. I generally don't initiate the conversation.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:66489
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.