Agnostic.com

11 15

LINK Poll Reveals American Church Membership Is At An All-Time Low

Church used to be a place where many people gathered to observe the Lord’s Day on Sundays. However, in recent years, there have been fewer and fewer church goers actually going. In fact, church membership is at the lowest it has been in years.

According to a recent poll from Gallup, it turns out that memberships have been on the decline since last year, and dropped below 50% for the first time in the company’s eight decades of taking the poll.

In 2020, the year of the COVID-19 pandemic when everything basically shut down. 47% of Americans said they belonged to a church, synagogue or mosque. That’s down from 50% in 2018 and a whopping 70% in 1999.

For context, U.S. church membership was at 73% when Gallup first measured it in 1937 and stayed near that percentage over the course of the next 60 years. The turn of the 21st century was when things began to decline for church memberships, and now it’s at an all-time low.

snytiger6 9 May 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Maybe, it will reach 0 one day. Of course I don't think that will be in my life time.

Religionists trying to gain more attendance by pushing their agenda is like Putler (what the Ukrainians call him) trying to stop countries from joining NATO by invading them.

Sounds good to me. BTW I sometimes do a Gallup poll as they send it to my e-mail.

Shades of what has been happening in Scotland for decades: [bbc.com]

Let's hope it increases exponentially.
Quickly.

This is good goddamn news! 😂

Awweesome!!

People are starting to wake up to reality.

This is the 'atheist rapture' going o. Though slower than the one Christian aligned cults anticipate for themselves, it will nevertheless result in THEM being left behing in an unmanageable non-reality. We're emancipated and they remain trapped and abandoned, in dwindling numbers.

We shall see..

People must be getting smart.

If only they were....

@snytiger6 We can only hope.

Good news!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:667452
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.