Agnostic.com

9 7

LINK Students protest against Seattle university's ban on hiring LGBTQ employees : NPR

Students at Seattle Pacific University (SPU), a private Christian university in Seattle, protested after the campus administration voted last week to uphold rules that ban the hiring of LBGTQ+ staff from working at the university.

Last week, the SPU Board of Trustees voted to retain the university's current employee lifestyle expectations regarding sexual conduct. Following the board's vote, students walked out of class on last Tuesday to protest in front of the university president's office.

snytiger6 9 May 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Jesus wept.

Wow! I didn't know private universities can still get away with that kind of thing. Glad the students protested. My ex-husband attended that university years ago, and I'm sure he wouldn't have been one of the students protesting. Our kids however have a much more elevated sense of fairness.

If they have no students then they have no money. When the students unite, they get action. Good for them. 🙂

Betty Level 8 May 30, 2022

Excellent action taken by the Students, I applaud them wholeheartedly.
As to the Board of Trustees, etc, etc, of the School Admin. may their genitals rot slowly and fall off most painfully.

Here's a shining example of the teachers needing to learn from the students! 😂

There are two large private Universities in Seattle and the Seattle University (a Jesuit school) is not like the Seattle Pacific University. [seattleu.edu] Not all 'Christians' are of the same ilk.

I wonder how long it will be before they fall in line with what is now the "Consevative marching orders". If it is a State funded or subsidized school then NO, they can't or they lose funding...but if it is a PRIVATE "Christian" school then I believe they will be pressured into "getting with the program". The GQP is out for blood and they know(based on tRUMPs 2016 Campaign style of being as obtuse as possible) how to scrape the bottom of the barrel to widen their base...it is "divide and conquer"...and they are gleaning the youth voters now. jmho I may be wrong but I see this more as a tactic as opposed to a shot in the dark. This will filter in to ANY Christian based and owned educational Institution and/or Business that the Feds have no control over.

My parents both attended Seattle University, that's where they met. They were fairly open minded. My ex-husband attended Seattle Pacific University, and is not so open-minded... Not sure if that has anything to do with the style of administration or not.

@phoenixone1 Maybe true but this area is different. Members of the LGBTQ group want an education and Seattle University is not cheap. The Jesu9its also have a reputation for shaking things up. I seriously doubt they will change their policy. I do not see this school as allowing politics to influence them. Seattle is a strong liberal area and school as SPU has always been a school with religion as coming before education. I think many think the power of the conservatives as being stronger than it is. In fact I just read an article on how the powerful Christian groups are crumbling from within. They are experiencing a civil war with themselves.

@phoenixone1, @Julie808 Thank you, this only confirmed my reply to phoenixone1 When I graduated HS I was accepted by SU. It was both an honer and a joke as I didn't have the money to attend and neither did my parents.

Private christian school, of course they are against lgbt. Maybe the students should quit the school and goto a public school.

Private "Christian" College...what did the students expect? They may have staged a walkout but they will be back in the classroom very quickly because they can't get their Tuition refunded this late in the semester. Seeing as how they have no doubt lined up their Student Loans and Scholarships it is doubtful they will change horses in the middle of the stream. They will continue their education there in the future. The protest was a nice gesture but honestly...that is all it amounts to. The College and the Religious Right will separate Church and State ONLY where it is convenient. They have been given a powerful weapon that allows them a free hand to sway people's political posture...and they get to do it in a TAX FREE environment. SCOTUS is heavily bias to the Right so it won't do any good to challenge the Churches. This is a serious pickle for this country. No matter what we say or do...the GQP keeps gaining momentum.

JFC!!
When are these assholes going to get it through their thick heads that
IT IS NOT A LIFESTYLE?
🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

That is not going to happen. It is the way to maintain their "holier than thou" mentality.

@jlynn37 I dunno. I kind of want to make it REALLY uncomfortable for them to maintain that lie.

@KKGator Their own cognitive dissonance would prevent them from feeling uncomfortable in the way that you (and I) would like.

@anglophone Definitely would be worth my personal satisfaction just to say it out loud.
😁

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:668974
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.