Agnostic.com

14 3

Chiropractic scientific?

Do you view the chiropractic profession as science/evidence based?

DustinChiro 3 Apr 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I do think that when things get out of whack a good back cracker can fix it. I really miss the one chiropractor in town that I could go to for whatever pain was bugging me. He was old school. He never fed me any mumbo jumbo, he just fixed what was wrong. It always hurt like hell when he did it, but then I was better. I only saw him once in a blue moon, and I was never encouraged to come back every month for "maintenance".

It depends on the chiro. I had a nasty accident years ago, falling about 12 feet into concrete and landing on my pelvis. It caused the bones to move out of place plus I squished a couple vertebrae. I still get flare ups and the right chiro can do wonders. Others have just seen me as dollar signs and tried to tell me I needed a whole regimen of treatment.

Remi Level 7 Apr 27, 2018

Can't say I do.

@DustinChiro

Yes, it is scientific. Do you think that something positive will come out of having a crooked joint?

Let's look at the histology of what happens when a person has a cooked joint.

1. Joint becomes crooked due to use of improper or excessive physical force

2. Minor blood vessels begin to leak, nervous stimulation becomes impaired, akin to a palsy scenario

3. Strange chemical environment encourages bacteria and other weird matter to grow

4. Bacteria infects everything, until the situation is fixed

The cost to the body will certainly cause functional issues in a person.

It depends how high in woo the chiropractor is. If all he's doing is popping my back and offering exercises to help strengthen my core so the damn thing stops hurting so much, then, yes, he's scientific. If I walk into a chiro office and see a wall of supplements and testimonials about cancer, I'm out.

You are the best, thank you!

I don't know, the only chiropractor I know is Alan Harper

After I had fallen at work I couldn't raise my left arm level. My wife at the time was being treated by him so I tried it out. He was also a sports medicine doctor and showed me exercises to do to repair my arm. It got better, but it was a scientific proven way to heal it. So could he have twisted my vertebrae to fix my arm or anything else? No, it's not a proven science yet.

Understanding the biomechanics of the body and just how easily your joints can shift and pinch nerves because of the lack of strengthening muscle that are not used during atypical work postures is as scientific as it can. Just like understanding that if the foundation of your house shifts, the frame will become damaged, regardless of just how strong that frame is. And worse, damage you electrical system (nerves) But if the frame gets damaged, no amount of foundation work (muscle strengthening) will fix the problem nor ignoring it aka medication. Chiropractic adjustments basically regulate the frame so your electrical system (the nerves) aren't damaged and if you keep your foundation healthy (muscular system), the other 2 will be less like to get out of sink.

I don't know but It did help me when traditional medicine couldn't. I had crippling monthly pain and it helped emmensly. Also have post nazal drip and my nose runs 365 days it was fixed during that time the only time it run was when I actually had a cold.

Makes perfect sense. If a nerve is caught up by a pinch, and the regular electrical communication to organ or gland is interrupted, there will be consequences. Hormonal imbalances could be caused by such a thing, as well as by what you eat.

@Fibonacci1618 For the women pain he leaned on my tail bone for a few minutes and that released the tension in the tendon? muscle? that ran from there to the uterus. Then the pain was barely noticable considering At times I would be walking down the road and hit the ground all of a sudden because of the pain. Once my back was straightened out, It was curved. I only went back monthly and it was 100% worth the cost.I had been on many different pills that never helped only made me crazy. Everything I was put on messed with my head.

@VNCallan it did the same for me. Our reproductive organs may not be the same but the nerve endings to them are.

@Fibonacci1618 Yes and I tell ya the whole thing was getting on my last nerve lol. Before that I spent 20+ years in some severe pain and only a take this pill as the solution. I was about ready to go postal over it. By the time my Chiropractor was done I was willing to have his child and I didn't want children.

@VNCallan lol ! I hear you! I couldn't pull my own under up and I was overdosing on pills. It was killing me. Snap, crackle, pop, and now I'm averaging 8-10 mile runs. Glad you're feeling better!

@Fibonacci1618 Oh wow that's awesome!

According to Skeptics Guide to the Universe Podcast it is not science/ evidence base. It is hosted by Steven Novella who is a doctor. He also writes for Science Based Medicine which I think you could do a search on chiropractic care.
[sciencebasedmedicine.org] is the site.
Hope this helps.

I don't know how thoroughly vetted it is, scientifically, but I do know it has helped me immensely over the years. I don't write off eastern medicine any more than I do western.

I admit, I don’t know that much about it, but my general impression is that it’s not scientific.

My story is this: I had a severe neck problem with pain radiating down my arm. I went to my doctor who wanted to put me on muscle relaxers. Nothing help, he sent me to a neurologist who did lots of tests on me and he then decided that maybe he should put a brace on my wrist.In the meantime I was in terrible pain for a 2 week time period. I went to a chiropractor and he adjusted my upper neck. My pain was gone in an hour.

Ditto to the pain experience and ditto to the medical recommendations and ditto to the results.

A few years back I had my back go out (for no particular reason). I went to a chiropractor, didn't help, had a CAT scan done, results came back, my lower back was a mess (I had already had two discectomies, so there is not a whole lot of cushion between vertebrae). I couldn't sleep, sit, walk, pretty much anything for very long periods of time. One night I went with a friend dancing (loved to dance) and I decided that I was going to dance, regardless of how much it screwed me up. The back was much better the next day. After another night of dancing and my chiropractor telling me if it helped, keep going, I have been pain free since. So with back issues, you never know what my put things back in order. If the chiropractor helped you (and I know others who have had similar results), then it is good medicine. They sometimes make promises they don't keep, but then so do medical doctors. And of course, there are bad as well as good ones.

Oxymoron

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:67151
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.