Agnostic.com

7 18

LINK The Supreme Court rewarded religious schools. Maine lawmakers fought back.

Last week, the Supreme Court ruled that taxpayers in Maine had to cover the costs of private religious education even when Christian indoctrination was front and center. It was a horrible decision loudly derided by church/state separation advocates. But state lawmakers may have found a way to nullify its effects.

Carson v. Makin involved a voucher program that allowed students in rural parts of Maine to have access to free education, even if that meant attending a private school. The state already said it would cover private school tuition, even at church-run schools, as long as the education students received was secular in nature. But a lawsuit was filed by parents who wanted to send their kids to Christian schools that, among other things, promoted Creationism and discriminating against LGBTQ people in hiring. The Supreme Court essentially said the state was forbidden from discriminating against those schools on the basis of religion… which meant taxpayers would theoretically have to pay for religious indoctrination. As Justice Sonia Sotomayor put it in her dissent, “Today, the Court leads us to a place where separation of church and state becomes a constitutional violation.”

But here’s the amazing thing: Lawmakers in Maine anticipated this outcome a while back, and they recently took action to make the Supreme Court’s decision toothless—at least in their state. Simply put, rather than stick with the previous law that banned money from going to explicitly religious schools, which was already in legal jeopardy, they passed a new law forbidding any taxpayer dollars from going to schools that discriminate against people on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity. (More specifically, they expanded their anti-discrimination law to protect LGBTQ people—including at schools that are part of the voucher program.)

snytiger6 9 June 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There's a silver linening for the people of that state.

More states need to anticipate the rabid SCROTUS and take preventive measures.

They have come a long way from the Trump loving previous governor who was also a Hustler Asshole of the Month winner.

We need to start thinking about what kinds of consequences need to be imposed to discourage the religionists from taking over government bodies. Attrition of their numbers is good, but I want payback.

Nice but I fear this may only be a speed bump. This court may very well hold that hate of queer people is a protected religious position. Thomas has basically said he thinks so.

I am sure that view will eventually come out in some future ruling.

Thinking outside the box is going to be necessary until we can dilute the catholics on the SC with more justices.

That's why we need a President like Elizabeth Warren. She would already have expanded the court to make it more even. Biden is too chicken to do it.

@Shaggy2018 I absolutely agree with you. She was my choice for President and still is!!

I'm proud of the Maine legislature.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:674476
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.