Agnostic.com

7 9

LINK WHO: COVID-19 cases rising nearly everywhere in the world

Just when we were hoping it was safe to go out again...

GENEVA —
The number of new coronavirus cases rose by 18% in the last week, with more than 4.1 million cases reported globally, according to the World Health Organization.

The U.N. health agency said in its latest weekly report on the pandemic that the worldwide number of deaths remained relatively similar to the week before, at about 8,500. COVID-related deaths increased in three regions: the Middle East, Southeast Asia and the Americas.

The biggest weekly rise in new COVID-19 cases was seen in the Middle East, where they increased by 47%, according to the report released late Wednesday. Infections rose by about 32% in Europe and Southeast Asia, and by about 14% in the Americas, WHO said.

WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said cases were on the rise in 110 countries, mostly driven by the omicron variants BA.4 and BA.5.

"This pandemic is changing, but it's not over," Tedros said this week during a press briefing. He said the ability to track COVID-19's genetic evolution was "under threat" as countries relaxed surveillance and genetic sequencing efforts, warning that would make it more difficult to catch emerging and potentially dangerous new variants.

He called for countries to immunize their most vulnerable populations, including health workers and people over 60, saying that hundreds of millions remain unvaccinated and at risk of severe disease and death.

Tedros said that while more than 1.2 billion COVID-19 vaccines have been administered globally, the average immunization rate in poor countries is about 13%.

"If rich countries are vaccinating children from as young as 6 months old and planning to do further rounds of vaccination, it is incomprehensible to suggest that lower-income countries should not vaccinate and boost their most at risk (people)," he said.

According to figures compiled by Oxfam and the People's Vaccine Alliance, fewer than half of the 2.1 billion vaccines promised to poorer countries by the Group of Seven large economies have been delivered.

Earlier this month, the United States authorized COVID-19 vaccines for infants and preschoolers, rolling out a national immunization plan targeting 18 million of the youngest children. American regulators also recommended that some adults get updated boosters in the fall that match the latest coronavirus variants.

HippieChick58 9 June 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's endemic now, and will be with us going forward. We'll probably need a new shot every year. And this is not the biggest thing we have to worry about. There are much worse pathogens lurking in the environment. And climate change is not only a threat multiplier, it can wipe out most of our biodiversity. Mass extinction is a real possibility. Have a nice day!

I had Covid a couple of Decembers ago. I also had 2 Moderna shots later. No boosters for me yet. I'm thinking i might build up some resistance to the damned thing. It's now having lots of variants just like the flu does. IF the cases get stronger in my area I might get some more shots. Playing it by ear so far and our cases in Missouri are down. The corporation I work for has also recently dropped their incentive for us getting vaccinated.

What ever happen to healthy eating , freedom and healthy small businesses?

No lethal injection for me, please.

Oh good, you're fine with lethal viruses..good luck with healthy veggies and 18th century death..

@Charlene

Cancer , sexual disease, heart disease, malaria, . Smoking and a half a dozen other things kill greater than covid. Give immune system a chance to practice rather than greedy profits Laughing all the way to the bank.

@Castlepaloma I like comments like this one as they mean that just because a certain number of people are killed by others means that it is alright for people to die from Covid as all that does is add to the number of dying people. The fact that it is preventable by a shot has nothing to do with it.

@Castlepaloma yeah, well I've beaten Cancer twice due to Science, beat the odds of contracting Polio due to Science, never had to worry about Malaria due to Science, my Son and Brother controlled their HIV due to Science, Small Pox no longer ravages the population due to Science and Heart Disease is being controlled due to Science..we don't get out of this alive, but Willful denial of the threat of death from viruses,when vaccines are available, is complete stupidity...but, nice try and thanks for self culling..you're doing the genepool a great service!

@dalefvictor

In my area a person will die of heart disease 100 times greater than covid. My daughter and I are the pictures of health because our business is about healthy food first , freedom and affordable housing for minimum wage people. Mainstream medical profession is the leading cause of death in the world. Billions, politicians and media don't give a fuck about your health, at all. Big pharmaceutical has most people on their drugs for life. Even doctor life span is 5 to 10 years lower than the average person. US has lower their life span by two years the last few decades.. Good luck with all that Madd evil science by the super rich. The vast majority of covid deaths are related to old age and obesity. This is the greatest lie and crime within my lifetime.

@Charlene

Bill gate make more profit from vaccines than his sofeware. Even he says the the immune system works better than the vaccines for the omicron .

KILL Gate doesn't even care he BS you. The superrich will never care about you. Superman is more realistic from another planet, Than a billion batman hero.

@Castlepaloma yup Bill Gates is an Uberlord that could care less. But he for sure Isn't chipping people through the vaccine..

@Charlene

I watched Bill Gate on TED TALK 15 years ago explain how he could eliminate the world population by 15% using vaccines. His hopes the world population goes down to half a billion. He has a good start with aids vaccines and many others in Africa. Wail the world largest protest of 250 million east Indians over very deadly farming practices of Bill gates.
Kill Gates and Satan klause of WEF are doing an excellent evil work.

@Castlepaloma wow, you been youtubing too much!?..girl take the tinfoil hat off..

@Charlene

When the tin hats are given out to suppress freedom.Done by either politalical woke, programed robots or the zombies apocalypse. It time to get rid of over ego groups or negative people. The divide and conquer plan is working for now, too bad this abuse will fail, as always .My life still lives in a independent beautiful state of bliss as it continues by work and love..

Good luck selling tin hats, I return your gift to the rightful owner , you.

Vaccinations are available . Come on people , don't be stupid . Get vaccinated!

If you don't want a vaxx, fine, stay home and die..

Big Pharma has made billions from COVID vaccines. If they waived the patents massive labs that exist in other parts of the world could mass produce them and we could vaccinate everyone on the planet. The price of not doing this is more variants and no end to this pandemic in sight. Profit over people, the ugliness of capitalism.

MizJ Level 8 June 30, 2022

To vaccinate everyone on the planet ie vaccinated at the same time, is pointless with current covid medicines available. They just don't last long enough.
Even if all factories co-ordinated and produced simultaneously, the logistics of packaging/ transporting and administering on a world wide scale within the few months these medicines stay meaningfully effective before boosters are recommended........realistically just ain't gunna happen.
I cannot comprehend how the WHO has the power to declare a pandemic, but not the power to remove patent protections from life saving medicines developed to fight the pandemic. Drug profiteering re covid medicines is so wrong at all levels, especially when mandates/ coercion is also applied..

@puff Even if the whole operation wasn't simultaneous the more people vaccinated the fewer variants. Every infection is a possible source of the next variant. The medications are another tool but vulnerable people may still get sick enough to be hospitalized and possibly die.

Smallpox, polio and others were eradicated via vaccines. We can end this as well, it would lessen the emotional toll that it is taking on people and economies around the world.

@MizJ Both smallpox and polio vaccines are above 90% effective and provide meaningful immunity ie long lasting and stop transmission.
Covid medicines currently available do not. Cannot compare.

Yes, they are rapidly raising here in Australia too especially since we are in the mids of winter.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:674541
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.